PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] KDE 4.2 panel/kicker freezing?

mma8x
April 20th, 2009, 11:55 PM
i've had my kicker/panel/whatever it's now called start freezing up at random times. weird, since i haven't upgraded/changed anything in a while, and it had been stable before this. applets/clock/etc don't move, and clicking anywhere on it doesn't do anything. the desktop (or whatever it's now called) is also frozen. killing/restarting plasma gives this as the last few lines of output:

QCoreApplication::postEvent: Unexpected null receiver
plasma(8963): Communication problem with "plasma" , it probably crashed.
Error message was: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply" : " "Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken." "

killing the xserver and restarting doesn't help, nor does logging out of kde and logging back in. any ideas? oh yeah, using hardy.

inobe
April 21st, 2009, 12:16 AM
i really don't have a suggestion except i don't think it's a good idea upgrading kde to 4.2 with kubuntu 8.04.

the upgrade procedure doesn't mention 8.04 once !

http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.2

gregor171
April 21st, 2009, 12:29 AM
My solution was no KDE 4, but still thinking of changing to Ubuntu (not Kubuntu). Freezing of Firefox, Eclipse and others. Becomes slow after a while.

inobe
April 21st, 2009, 12:32 AM
using kubuntu 8.10 x86 64bit with kde 4.2.2 without any hiccups.

mma8x
April 21st, 2009, 05:18 AM
using kubuntu 8.10 x86 64bit with kde 4.2.2 without any hiccups.

whoops. i am using a 64 bit intrepid install. they start to blend together after a while i guess...realized that jaunty is just 2 days away. guess i might as well update then and see what happens (although i know it will further break my system, and i'll spend a few hours trying to get it back the way it was. sigh.)