PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installing jaunty pre-release

civillian
April 20th, 2009, 10:10 PM
I'm leaving for somewhere that has limited internet connectivity soon, and I would like to install ubuntu jaunty so I can have access to the latest and greatest, however would it be better to wait the few days for the official relase, or would getting the pre-release jaunty beta and upgrading it when I have connectivity be okay (ie not too unstable, not too many bugs, etc)?

Thanks for the help!

fballem
April 20th, 2009, 10:18 PM
I've been running Jaunty since Alpha-5 with no problems. I do a manual update daily (System > Administration > Update Manager) and nothing has broken.

Mine is a home-built Desktop with an AMD-64 Dual Core. I'm running 64-bit Jaunty using only programs contained in the repository.

Therion
April 20th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Beat the Server Crush: Install now.

No... Now. RIGHT NOW.

Are you installing yet??

civillian
April 20th, 2009, 10:21 PM
do you use a nvidia graphics card?
does that work with the 'official' proprietary drivers?

civillian
April 20th, 2009, 10:23 PM
and no, but but sounds like I should!

howefield
April 20th, 2009, 10:24 PM
however would it be better to wait the few days for the official relase,

My experience has been great with Jaunty RC, there have been about 60 megs (if I remember correctly) of updates for my system since. I wouldn't expect too many between now and full release on Thursday.

But, it seems to make sense to wait till then to get the full release, but if you can't chances are high that you'll be ok with the RC and updates when you can. The RC plus the updates = the full release.

Flotter
April 20th, 2009, 10:36 PM
The RC installed flawlessly on my laptop (IBM Thinkpad T22), but I do have one prob with my workstation. For some reason, I can't use Fluxbox now from the KDE3 kdm.

Here's the error from .xsession-errors:

Xsession: X session started for jamstar7 at Mon Apr 20 14:00:41 MST 2009
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/40guidance-displayconfig_restore: line 11: /usr/bin/displayconfig-restore: No such file or directory
Setting IM through im-switch for locale=en_US.
Start IM through /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/all_ALL linked to /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/default.
/usr/bin/xmodmap: unable to open file '/usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kubuntu.xmodmap' for reading
/usr/bin/xmodmap: 1 error encountered, aborting.
/usr/bin/xmodmap: unable to open file '/usr/share/apps/kxkb/ubuntu.xmodmap' for reading
/usr/bin/xmodmap: unable to open file '/usr/share/apps/kxkb/ubuntu.xmodmap' for reading
wmnet: using devstats driver to monitor eth0
Failed to read: session.screen0.maxIgnoreIncrement
Setting default value
Failed to read: session.screen0.maxDisableMove
Setting default value
Failed to read: session.screen0.maxDisableResize
Setting default value
Failed to read: session.screen0.noFocusWhileTypingDelay
Setting default value
Failed to read: session.screen0.tooltipDelay
Setting default value
Failed to read: session.screen0.clientMenu.usePixmap
Setting default value
XIO: fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0.0"
after 95 requests (48 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
after 1458 requests (142 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
after 288 requests (240 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
No protocol specified
bt::Display: failed to open display ''

Any ideas?

civillian
April 20th, 2009, 10:52 PM
cool, well the few extra days that installing the rc give me leave me free to iron out any major problems I have before I go away, so i think I'll be doing that and updating avidly!

fballem
April 20th, 2009, 11:21 PM
do you use a nvidia graphics card?
does that work with the 'official' proprietary drivers?

Yes - I use an Nvidia card and the proprietary driver that ubuntu installs is working very well.

civillian
April 21st, 2009, 02:06 PM
and just to double check before I undertake this: there is a flash plugin (for youtube, facebook apps etc etc) that will work in 64bit ubuntu/linux natively (ie not the 32 bit one with hacks)?