PDA

View Full Version : Hi...

planetman
January 6th, 2006, 01:40 AM
Just thought I'd make my first post :)

I've been playing with Ubuntu for about 4 months now after trying out a few distros. The others I tried (Mandriva, Suse, Xandros, Linspire) left me somewhat dissatisfied, although Suse was the best of those. Then I gave Ubuntu a whirl and I really like it!

I'm a seasoned Windows user (my job is looking after Windows 2000/2003 servers) so the learning curve is quite steep, but the Ubuntu community really helps with that. I get very frustrated, I must admit, when I find I can't just double-click on an executable file to install things (programs that are not in Synaptic) and I'm still not sure half the time where they are in the folder structure even when I manage it. But for the first time in my brief history with Linux, I'm actually persevering with it and - with your help ;) - I hope to eventually come to grips with it.

I'm still dual-booting with XP because there are some applications that just don't work or have an equivalent in Ubuntu, but I'd like to ditch XP for good if I can. I'm fed up with bloatware, viruses, spyware and security holes, and I love the idealism and Community that comes with Ubuntu. I've tried converting some work colleagues, but the learning curve puts them off I think. Maybe in a year or two Ubuntu may become more intuitive for the masses, but I'm still having fun in the meantime! :D

Regards

Mark

Zelut
January 6th, 2006, 02:01 AM
Let us know if you need any help with anything.. we're more than happy to help.

Which programs are you referring to in "programs that are not in synaptic"? Sometimes its just a matter of having the right repository listed be have access to the file..