PDA

View Full Version : Cheap or Free Cooling method for labtops?

MasterNetra
April 20th, 2009, 08:52 PM
I cannot afford some kind of cooling dock for my labtop and when playing games like Halo (Original) or the new Red Alert 3 my system overheats around 15 mins into it. (If i startup cold that is.) So i was wondering if anyone has any idea on how i could get or setup a cheap if not free cooling system/rig for it?

(My Graphics Card overheats rather)

thewolfman
April 20th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Hi,

I had an overheating problem with my notebook and set 4 music cassette boxes under the feet, this worked well until I decided to get the
vacuum-cleaner out and give the fans a clean, after that my PC didn't overheat too much when playing games.

Be careful with the cleaner, don't put it on max when cleaning the fans!!!.

Also make sure that the area around your PC is not blocked in any way!.

thewolfman

MasterNetra
April 20th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Hi,

I had an overheating problem with my notebook and set 4 music cassette boxes under the feet, this worked well until I decided to get the
vacuum-cleaner out and give the fans a clean, after that my PC didn't overheat too much when playing games.

Be careful with the cleaner, don't put it on max when cleaning the fans!!!.

Also make sure that the area around your PC is not blocked in any way!.

thewolfman

hmm I don't have a portible Vaccum cleaner, but i did have it on two game cases..prehaps theye didn't raise it far enough up. :/

suitedaces
April 20th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Ypu should consider some of the cooling pads on ebay. I see they're as little as £6 or £7 now, inc delivery. I got mine last year for a tenner, with a 4 port usb hub built in, and it's running like a charm.

swoll1980
April 20th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Take it apart, and clean it.

joshh88
April 20th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I have always had issues with overheating on Linux. Even raising it up to allow more airflow didn't work. I ened up buying a Zalmann cooler. It keeps the temps around 36C compared to the 58C w/o. Despite having the cooler on, the laptop still get hot when it has a cd in, but no where near critical temps.

MasterNetra
April 22nd, 2009, 06:14 PM
Take it apart, and clean it.

Problem with that would be opening it would void my "Idiot Warranty" that came with this overpriced version of the laptop which came through my school. (Tuition Paid, not the cheapest solution)

I have always had issues with overheating on Linux. Even raising it up to allow more airflow didn't work. I ened up buying a Zalmann cooler. It keeps the temps around 36C compared to the 58C w/o. Despite having the cooler on, the laptop still get hot when it has a cd in, but no where near critical temps.

Well my card seems to tends to do this on both windows & linux. Intel Cards suck. :/

swoll1980
April 22nd, 2009, 06:49 PM
Problem with that would be opening it would void my "Idiot Warranty" that came with this overpriced version of the laptop which came through my school.

Make a warranty claim. They will have to take it apart, and clean it for you.

spoons
April 22nd, 2009, 07:06 PM
Often, they use crap thermal paste/pads on laptops which are more like chewing gum and rubbish at heat transfer. It's a good idea to replace this with a decent thermal paste as this will help the laptop dissipate the heat.

Mehall
April 22nd, 2009, 07:08 PM
Often, they use crap thermal paste/pads on laptops which are more like chewing gum and rubbish at heat transfer. It's a good idea to replace this with a decent thermal paste as this will help the laptop dissipate the heat.

decent thermal paste is cheap, but if you don't have a local stockist and don't want to buy online, sunblock/sunscreen with very few ingredients will do the trick better than half the cheap thermal pastes. It's the same base chemicals.

swoll1980
April 22nd, 2009, 07:09 PM

He already said he can't take it apart.

spoons
April 22nd, 2009, 07:11 PM
He already said he can't take it apart.

I wasn't specifically replying to him but giving some general advice. :)

gn2
April 22nd, 2009, 08:05 PM
Run the game at lower settings. Won't cost you a penny.

MasterNetra
August 30th, 2009, 05:52 PM
This reply comes a bit late, but still it turns out it probably is the driver or a defective card, sense I got a hold of a window/floor fan and I'm keeping the laptop on it, which is keeping it quiet cool, but still it tends to die when running such games (dispite it remaining cool)...If I can only find those blasted papers I need to get it taken care of.

oldsoundguy
August 30th, 2009, 06:03 PM
I am not a laptop expert, but there are some laptops out there that are KNOWN room heaters.

FIRST and foremost, if you have one of those, NOTHING you do will change it short of sending it back!

Find out!
Google: "your laptop make and model (and the word) overheating" and see if others have the same issue.

Some makers have gone so far as to run an exchange program. IF SO on yours, that Google search will find THAT, too!

And the "I can't afford a 20 buck cooler stand from eBay" does not wash. Stop the Rock Star and cigs for a couple of days and you have paid for it!

madjr
August 30th, 2009, 06:30 PM
http://gadgets.boingboing.net/laptop-fire-remedy.jpg

http://16.media.tumblr.com/jHPUjGwYqr0rum74QIqwuQrvo1_400.png