PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is it possible to Install Ubu 8.10 from working Ubuntu on USB drive?

SR_ELPIRATA
April 20th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Hello all:

This X1 laptop doesnt have a CD. It has USB port but the pendrive I have, which is this one... contains critical data to me and as such I cant use it to get it working as a liveCD of sorts.

What I would like to do is to install Ubuntu on the hard drive, which right now contains an unusable windows xp. I dont want to keep XP, just want to put Ubuntu to work from the hard drive.

I do have on this baby working wireless/wired connections. Any way I can pull this off? I was wondering if I could somehow load the iso so that I could run the install from there but I havent found information about that yet (I continue looking btw).

Is there a way to, for example, clone this usb to the hard drive?

Any help will be much appreciated.

ELP

logos34
April 20th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Unetbootin (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/) should work. (Windows version)

Do a 'frugal install' (to local hdd instead of usb), download the ubuntu .iso, and go from there

hope that helps

theozzlives
April 20th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Huh?

Just copy the data off the usb to a safe place, make a usb install disk, install, then copy your stuff back.

SR_ELPIRATA
April 21st, 2009, 06:47 AM
And the result is... lol...

GRUB

Thats all it does. I used teh 'create USB startup' on Administration, and it created the live CD succesfully, or so it said. But when I put on the laptop... it would give me an error, tried again and even tested on the machine that I used to make the usb live 'cd' and... it got stuck at GRUB, nothing whatsoever after that.

I read about unetbootin but it kept giving me errors as well. Guess this laptop is doomed. Any other suggestions?

tamas305
April 21st, 2009, 12:29 PM
And the result is... lol...

GRUB

Thats all it does. I used teh 'create USB startup' on Administration, and it created the live CD succesfully, or so it said. But when I put on the laptop... it would give me an error, tried again and even tested on the machine that I used to make the usb live 'cd' and... it got stuck at GRUB, nothing whatsoever after that.

I read about unetbootin but it kept giving me errors as well. Guess this laptop is doomed. Any other suggestions?

What error did GRUB return?

-tamas

SR_ELPIRATA
April 29th, 2009, 06:48 PM
I just got stuck at GRUB.... no error whatsoever.

Thanks for the help guys. I dont have the laptop anymore.