PDA

View Full Version : Programmer's paycheck

Bölvağur
April 20th, 2009, 08:12 PM
I got a job over the summer and do not want to get screwed over or over estimate my worth.
The client wanted to know how much programmers are getting per hour.

Because of the economic crisis I have no idea what to say, is it the same as a year ago or double that?

btw you should leave taxes out of it as that varies from country to country. And please use € unless if you dont know how to... then I guess I can convert it.

yabbadabbadont
April 20th, 2009, 08:14 PM
It varies a great deal depending upon experience, industry, location, ... So you'll really need to find out from others in Iceland, or wherever you are going to be working.

LowSky
April 20th, 2009, 08:21 PM
http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos110.htm#earnings

According to the National Association of Colleges and Employers, starting salary offers for graduates with a bachelor's degree in computer programming averaged $45,558 a year in 2003. Add 6 years with 3% average inflation per year... God I hate math.... so roughly 51.7K a year divided by 12 = 4.3k a month as the average pay for a comp programmer

no knowlege, low income area, or low grade/bad school = less pay

also area can really matter as state like New York City will pay more than say Louiville, Kentucky

Hope you understand

This is baseed completely on my country so if your in Iceland which is going through a horrible economic decline than your worth is much lower.

Bölvağur
April 20th, 2009, 08:21 PM
True true.
But the problem with that is that programmers normally are not allowed to talk about how much they get because of terms they have to accept.

Let's say.

A programmer that is no longer an intern, working for a middle sized software firm in northern Europe/Scandinavia (for you in the usa you migth think of San Fransisco and New York).
How much might he get today?
Guess the range, 20€ŧ→60€ per hour?

LowSky (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=330216)
thank you but the financial crisis are the big problem as you cannot calculate it like that :( it becomes much more difficult as the inflation is acting like a madman on steroids.

az
April 20th, 2009, 09:05 PM
The only person who will ever look out for you in these sort of situations is yourself. While I can't tell you what other professionals in your field are paid, perhaps this will help:

http://valerieaurora.org/howto_salary/

Quote:
The short version

If you only have 30 seconds to read this, here are the important parts.

* Negotiate! It will almost never hurt you, and almost always help. Screw up your courage and just do it!
* Do your research - know what you are worth. Ask for advice from knowledgeable, well-compensated people with more skill and experience than you.
* Never ever give the first figure for salary - make the person hiring say a number first, even if they ask, repeatedly. Never ever ever! If there's a form, don't fill in the "Salary" blanks. Just don't do it.
* Always act slightly disappointed, no matter what the job offer is. Ask for time to think about it (i.e., plan your strategy) before getting back to them.

HermanAB
April 20th, 2009, 09:13 PM
These days the average pay for programmers in the USA is about $7.50 per hour.
"Ya want fries wizzat?"
;)

Bölvağur
April 20th, 2009, 11:07 PM
"Ya want fries wizzat?"
;)
on that kind of salary I wouldn't afford the fries :S Im going for few times higher than that so I guess Im not going to be screwed too badly.

nooo common 7.5 is like what I'd get as a pizza delivery boy on the evening shift.

kernelhaxor
April 20th, 2009, 11:16 PM
"Ya want fries wizzat?"
;)

where?
In most states the state minimum wage is around 5-7$ /hr.. Programmers get paid way more than that ..

mips
April 20th, 2009, 11:36 PM
where?
In most states the state minimum wage is around 5-7$ /hr.. Programmers get paid way more than that ..

Yip. Any programmer working for $7.50 per hour is either not a programmer or just a very big sucker.

I would rather go on welfare than work as a programmer on that rate.

Bölvağur
April 20th, 2009, 11:52 PM
btw the average salary for a programmer in usa is about $35 (-+5)
that isn't so bad.

MaxIBoy
April 21st, 2009, 12:07 AM
"Ya want fries wizzat?"
;)Too many people didn't understand this joke.

His joke was that the average programmer has been laid off and is now working at McDonalds.

Sad but true.

Bölvağur
April 21st, 2009, 12:19 AM
Too many people didn't understand this joke.

His joke was that the average programmer has been laid off and is now working at McDonalds.

Sad but true.

Oh yeah.... I took the joke in a less funny way -.-
Now it looks very funny but still isn't because it has been explained :(

But yes, I've only heard about programmers being sacked in usa, is this the trend in other countries too?
I've only heard about software companies stop hiring and prepare for a long winter.. without hibernating that is.

Ticketoride
April 21st, 2009, 12:26 AM
Here even McDonalds has to start you off at $ 8.00
Career Change maybe? ... j/k :D

Icehuck
April 21st, 2009, 12:30 AM
Too many people didn't understand this joke.

Sad but true.

I haven't moved to McD's yet but, I'm still holding out some ray of hope.

lisati
April 21st, 2009, 12:38 AM
"Ya want fries wizzat?"
;)

That seems rather close to minimum wage! Even allowing for exchange rates and assuming for the moment that $NZ1.50=$US1 (I think it's a little more than that), that's close to what I was getting about 20-something years ago as a programmer, maybe a little more but not much! (And I wouldn't mind a shake either)