PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Recommend a distro for my Craptop?

aquascrotum
April 20th, 2009, 07:54 PM
I have a seriously outdated laptop, a Compaq Armada E500 (spec here...http://reviews.cnet.com/Compaq_Armada_E500_PIII_850_MHz_15_TFT/4507-3121_7-30003409.html?tag=mncol;psum

My normal laptop has died so I need to get something up and running for a business trip on Thursday - just something to send email from and edit word files.

I tried a Ubuntu Hardy live cd, which booted into the evaluation mode after a bit of puffing and blowing, but when I tried to install it the whole thing stalled overnight at 15% on the install progress bar (recoginising file system or something?).

Can anyone recommend how to either get over that blip in the install, or recommend a super lite distro that I can try and put on it that won;t kill it?

Cheers

mdmarmer
April 20th, 2009, 08:14 PM
antix (lightweight debian distro, based on Mepis)
http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php/AntiX
Mike

coffeecat
April 20th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Yes, but how much RAM have you got in it - the 128MB that it came with or has it been upgraded with more? The amount of RAM is more critical than the processor speed here.

384MB is the recommended minimum for Ubuntu (gnome) and you need a bit more for the live CD to work properly. If you've got less than 512MB that may be why the live CD installer is stalling.

BhumibolTheGreat
April 20th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Yes, but how much RAM have you got in it - the 128MB that it came with or has it been upgraded with more? The amount of RAM is more critical than the processor speed here.

384MB is the recommended minimum for Ubuntu (gnome) and you need a bit more for the live CD to work properly. If you've got less than 512MB that may be why the live CD installer is stalling.

I agree with that comment, 128 MB is not enough.

FaizanKazi
April 20th, 2009, 08:44 PM
check out this thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1130877

I have a seriously outdated laptop, a Compaq Armada E500 (spec here...http://reviews.cnet.com/Compaq_Armada_E500_PIII_850_MHz_15_TFT/4507-3121_7-30003409.html?tag=mncol;psum

My normal laptop has died so I need to get something up and running for a business trip on Thursday - just something to send email from and edit word files.

I tried a Ubuntu Hardy live cd, which booted into the evaluation mode after a bit of puffing and blowing, but when I tried to install it the whole thing stalled overnight at 15% on the install progress bar (recoginising file system or something?).

Can anyone recommend how to either get over that blip in the install, or recommend a super lite distro that I can try and put on it that won;t kill it?

Cheers

lisati
April 20th, 2009, 08:45 PM
I'd agree with the observations that the amount of available RAM can make a difference.
I have an older machine with only 64Mb: the impression I get from personal experience and browsing the forums is that I should forget trying to get Ubuntu to work on it. Another machine has about 222Mb available: Ubuntu can be made to wok on it, but it isn't as fast as it could be.

I'd suggest checking to see if the "alternate" install CD is an option: sometimes it's possible to install Ubuntu on a machine using the alternate CD when the Live CD proves to be problematical.

SkippoGuangiacomo
April 20th, 2009, 08:48 PM
I like fluxbuntu. It is very lightweight. You should read a little bit before installing, otherwise you might be unlucky in setting up wireless or lan internet connection

snowpine
April 21st, 2009, 01:35 PM
Hi there, if you only have 128mb of ram, your options are very limited--I would recommend DSL (Damn Small Linux) or Puppy.

element_G
April 21st, 2009, 01:38 PM
haven't tried it myself, but crunchbang seems to be popular in the screenshots thread.
It's a ubuntu base with openbox as the wm I believe

Agent86
April 21st, 2009, 11:26 PM
I second the recommendation of Puppy Linux. It runs as a LiveCD, but if you have about 128MB of RAM, it will load entirely into RAM. It runs faster than anything else I've found for my 333mhz Celeron w/512MB. I've heard good things about Damn Small Linux, but I haven't been able to get it to boot on any of the low-spec machines I've tried it on.