PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Manual removal of Adobe Reader 8.12

BhumibolTheGreat
April 20th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Hi guys,

I had Adobe Reader 8.12 installed on Ubuntu 8.04, after while I have upgraded to Ubuntu 9.04.
And now every time I'm trying to open PDF file from my browser I get an error saying Adobe Reader can not be found.
I could see that there is existing Adobe folder under my /home/user
What is the safest way of removing the /home/user/.adobe/Acrobat folder without causing things to brake (even though they are already broken ;))
Is there a way to check for dependencies?

Thanks,

ajgreeny
April 20th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Can you look in synaptic and remove it there? If so, do it, and then reinstall if you want it back, and all dependencies should be sorted for you.

BhumibolTheGreat
April 20th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention that Adobe Acrobat doesn't show up in the add/remove list ;)
Obviously that if it was there, I wouldn't ask this question.

Thanks for your reply though!

krgp
April 23rd, 2009, 03:49 PM
Same problem here. (Newb who doesn't know how to remove programs that don't appear in Add/Remove list.)

m_2009
April 23rd, 2009, 04:20 PM
Try installing Adobe reader 9.1.0??

Its available on the adobe website as a deb package, so that should overwrite any previous versions i think?

krgp
April 25th, 2009, 03:20 AM
Here's what I did.

Manually removed the 8.x version that was crapping up my update manager in terminal: sudo apt-get remove acroread.

Then, I re-added acrobat and it automatically went for version 9.x: sudo apt-get install acroread.

So stupidly easy. Someday I'll get the hang of this biz.