PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Upgrade From Mint to Ubuntu

JustinAlf
April 20th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Been using Linux for about 4 years now, so a little more advanced than a noob.....I am running Linux Mint on a laptop of mine that I needed for work really quick, like in an hour. I used mint because all of the proprietary things that I needed were already pre-loaded so that I wouldn't spend time loading everything. Long story short, I do not like the updates and was wondering if I could upgrade from Linux Mint to Ubuntu 8.10. Is this possible? I would like to not have to re-install the whole distro... Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

ninjapirate89
April 20th, 2009, 04:53 PM
I'm pretty sure that installing Ubuntu fresh is your only option in this case. I may be wrong though, it's happened before.

leonardo_neo
April 20th, 2009, 05:44 PM
I would recommend to go for a fresh install. Despite Mint is based on Ubuntu kernel, I am not sure if upgrade is possible, and even if it is possible, it can give many troubles.

JustinAlf
April 20th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Perhaps I would not need to upgrade straight into it. The only real difference from Mint to Ubuntu is the notification and updates. Does anyone know how I can switch from the Mint updater to the Ubuntu Notification and Synaptic Updater?