PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to get Driver support

papageno02
April 20th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Hi

I finally installed Ubuntu in my laptop (Toshiba Satellite A305D) because I was concerned about the low performance that Vista was doing. I can say I'm very pleased, despite some errors that made me reinstall linux. But my question is, where I can find support for the devices that Ubuntu didn't recognize (camera and microphone for an instance)? Or else how can I make them work?

Thanks

flibit
April 20th, 2009, 05:57 PM
What kind of camera are you using? it should be able to recognize cameras just fine. Search google for software for your device. That should do the trick.

papageno02
April 20th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Hi

Well I guess the problem is that the camera and the microphone is integrated with the laptop. I looked for drivers with Toshiba in its site and they only support Windows drivers, and worse that the software of the camera says Windows in the OS requirement.

I guess the camera may be working since I haven't tested it with any program but there is no device in the /dev folder that could be representing it. Also, I think the microphone is disabled because I used the sound recorder and nothing was recorded.

It's a shame because I really used the camera to talk with my girlfriend :P

Thanks

n2sins
December 6th, 2009, 08:54 AM
i have the toshiba a305d-s6848.. to get the camera to work just download cheese from the gui add programs.. nothing to it. i am running 9.04 what version do u have. mine runs good except the temperature. so if ur running 9.04 make sure u have the cpu set to on demand or 800mhz.u can add that by right click on top bar and add to panel.. it will overheat and shut down if u play any graphical game.. if u dont have a temp monitor set up. type sensors in terminal. it will tell u how to download.. or add software and type grrellim. i use both.. other then that i spend most of the day on mine.. i just wish i could play my video games..without a melt down. if ur using a different version. tell me if u have the heat problem. i may switch to reduce heat.. i average 52 and when i run at 2ghz in 10 minutes it will shut down at about 75 to 80.. ouch smoking.. dont try this at home

n2sins
December 6th, 2009, 08:57 AM
typos.. it actually gkrellm.. sorry