PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Questions about Ubuntu on the HP Mini 1000

kevindubrow
April 20th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Hi, I am about to buy an HP net book which comes installed with a version of Ubuntu. I think it runs 8.04 with some HP software user interface.

I was wondering if it would be possible to upgrade to 8.10 and maybe 9.04 later on. HP says that there are no plans to do so, but I'm sure theres a way around it...right?

Also, the terminal is apparently not accessible on this computer, is it possible to access it somehow?

Thanks a lot!

unique2
April 20th, 2009, 04:36 PM
I'm new here, but I bet you would be interested in this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1042198

Someone said this about the terminal issue:

"Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewhatever
If that's the netbook with disabled Terminal, have you found any way to re-enable it? You are both welcome to upload some pictures to imageshack or the like and post the links, there isn't much info about the interface on the web yet.
I don't really have any idea why they claimed to have disabled anything- all they really did was hide a link to it in the GUI (which you can restore anyhow by customizing the look of the settings gui list).

If you hit alr-F2 you get run application popup, and can key 'gnome-terminal'. It'll even autocomplete the command for you!
"

Looks like its not disabled out of the box, just the GUI hides it by default, which you can easily restore.

Hope this helps!

kevindubrow
April 21st, 2009, 12:04 AM
That's great news! You see, I was worried that I would lose a lot of Ubuntu's functionality, but it seems like everything is there plus a cool GUI.

I hope I can get some good news about upgrading the OS too.

Thanks!