PDA

View Full Version : Mention 3 stereotypes that people have about your country

verb3k
April 20th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Hi,

Your reply should have the following format:

My Country: COUNTRY_NAME_HERE

1- Stereotype written in bold. Refutation or explanation follows in normal typeface.

2- Same thing. Refute or explain here.

3- Same thing. Refute or explain here.

Please abide by these rules:
1.Don't reply if you don't wish to participate.
2.Don't discuss the topic or other people's replies. If you want to do that, start a separate thread for it.
3.Don't post more than 3 stereotypes.
4.This isn't obligatory, but try not to restate the stereotypes that have been mentioned before by your compatriots.

Nevon
April 20th, 2009, 04:14 PM
My Country: Sweden

1- The women are blonde and extremely slutty. Contrary to popular belief, Swedish women aren't inherently slutty. Nor are all of them blonde.

2- Swedes are jealous, passive aggressive conformists and force that mentality on others with a law called jantelagen. This is kind of true, actually...

3- Swedish people are so boring that it's bordering on being embarassing. I think this has to do with the fact that Swedes are generally polite and fairly quiet. This is especially true for people living in the northern parts of the country.

ninjapirate89
April 20th, 2009, 04:17 PM
My Country : United States

We have a collection of all stereotypes.

mips
April 20th, 2009, 04:21 PM
My Country: South Africa

Whatever you have heard is true ;)

ninjapirate89
April 20th, 2009, 04:25 PM
My Country: South Africa

Whatever you have heard is true ;)

:lolflag:

mxboy15u
April 20th, 2009, 04:35 PM
My Country: USA

1. We are loud

So what? I never understood why this bothers people. Loud is generally friendly.

2. We are too proud

Hard not to be when most of he important stuff in recent history has come from here, that attitude also fosters a sense of can-do attitude that will produce more important stuff. On that note, we generally welcome anyone who would like to be proud with us. It is not our exclusive right and it often confuses us why other countries and their citizens lack this deep pride. I still don't understand it totally.

3. We are fat

Because the U.K. is full of real lookers. Fat people are everywhere, and it is really attractive to be fat in some areas of the world. :-)

Edit:

Looking back I did not refute any of these...;)

hyperdude111
April 20th, 2009, 04:38 PM
My country: England

1. We all drink multiple cups of tea each day. (Most people prefer coffee)

2. We all have disgusting, crooked, discoloured teeth. (Just not true)

3. We all know the speak like the queen and know her on a personal level.

billgoldberg
April 20th, 2009, 05:17 PM
I shouldn't reply to the posts made here, I would get banned.

0per4t0r
April 20th, 2009, 05:24 PM
My Country : United States

We have a collection of all stereotypes.
So true, but some of them are real.
(I live in the USA, too, I'm not bashing.)

swoll1980
April 20th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Yeah this thread is jail bait for sure.

blueturtl
April 20th, 2009, 05:35 PM
My country: Finland

1. Finland is cold enough to be permanently covered in ice like the north-pole, we have polarbears etc. Finland is actually warmer than most areas located as north. This is because the warm Gulf current in the Atlantic supplies our shores with warm water. Though probably colder than what most Europeans are used to, Finland is actually rather habitable. We can have up to 30 degrees Celsius temperatures in the summer!

2. Finns are always drunk.
A lot of Finns do get wasted on a timely basis, but I wouldn't go as far as to say that it's more frequent than in other nordic / east-European countries...

3. Finns can completely avoid conversation for hours even in densely populated areas.
This is quite true. Finns can withstand hours quietness without the need to talk to anybody. Small talk just isn't in our genes. You can't talk to anybody strange, except if you're a tourist in another country and you encounter other Finns. ;)

benj1
April 20th, 2009, 05:38 PM
My country: England

3. We all know the speak like the queen and know her on a personal level.

unless of course youre cockney (or on eastenders).
and i'm im from yorkshire so don't even get started on there.

freakbofo
April 20th, 2009, 05:42 PM
My Country: New Zealand

1- We Are all clean and green

2- We all know how to speak maori

3- Its sooooooooooooooo beautiful????????

missbliss
April 20th, 2009, 05:46 PM
From the U.S. -

We all love and eat hamburgers everyday - Not true, I don't even really like hamburgers.
We're all fat - This is actually sort of true as more than half the population is overweight at this point. :-(
We're obnoxious - Just not true. There's tons of really humble people in the states, they probably just don't get as noticed as the obnoxious ones. ;-)

To the thread starter: Why so many rules, and the strict attitude? It's just for fun, no??

SomeGuyDude
April 20th, 2009, 05:46 PM
United States.

Fat. Well, okay. We're kinda fat.

Stupid. ...admittedly, we do REALLY badly in standardized tests, and apparently we're around #40 worldwide in accepting evolution as a scientific theory.

Lazy. I once got an instant message from someone in another room asking if I could see their cell phone.

...damn!

wingnux
April 20th, 2009, 05:47 PM
My country: Brazil

1 - 90% of the country is a big jungle - Oh really? I've never been to one!

2 - All people think about is soccer and carnival - We only have a week of carnival during February and Brazilians like sports in general, in fact, Brazilians are very passionate about sports!

3 - There are beautiful women everywhere! - Did you read about the fat problem mxboy15u was talking about? Yes, we have it too...

Crowchild
April 20th, 2009, 06:06 PM
My Country: Canada

1- We are all overly polite: Though still kind of true, we've got a lot of dickheads.

2- It's cold: True, winter can be as cold as -40C in a lot Canada, southern ontario is a far south as northern California, their winters are mild. Same on the west coast. In the North, where I live, we get nearly 22 hours of sunlight in the summer. That makes it HOT!

3- Canada is green/environmentally friendly: We use clean burning natural gas and hydro electricity to make the dirtiest burning oil in the world. In the process destroying 4.3 million hectares of boreal forest, an area the size of Florida!

RiceMonster
April 20th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Canada

We say "eh": This is true, but not used as much as some people think

We say "aboot": This is not true. I've never heard anyone say this in my life, with the exception of Americans doing Canadian impressions.

It's cold: Somewhat true. It's not very cold here, but in some areas it does get cold.

matmatmat
April 20th, 2009, 06:16 PM
England (Yorkshire mainly)
The way we speak Americans in filmss seem to do it a lot
We're tight
The above

swoll1980
April 20th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Canada

We say "eh": This is true, but not used as much as some people think

When I was in Canada, everyone I talked to said "eh" My sister lived in "North Da-coa-ta don't cha know", and they all say "ey" "ther" too. "Don't cha know"

wingnux
April 20th, 2009, 06:32 PM
OMG!!!

Just watch this video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKPWV_kHXuA

Talk about stereotypes! This guy isn't Brazilian AT ALL! He's Portuguese and WE DON'T HAVE MARACAS IN BRAZIL!

bapoumba
April 20th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Hmm, closed for Staff evaluation.

Edit: After discussing with other Staff, the thread will remain closed.