PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] sharing across network

ELD
April 20th, 2009, 03:04 PM
I have installed samba but when i try to share a folder it says i need the right permissions, i tried changing the folders permissions but it is set to root :(

This is a folder on an ntfs mounted partition btw.

Also how can i get ubuntu to auto mount ntfs on startup, i always forget when i do a fresh install :(

aeiah
April 20th, 2009, 03:16 PM
which howto did you follow for samba? a lot of the tutorials will guide you through how to set it up properly. the same goes for mounting your ntfs partition. try searching for 'fstab ntfs' or something. fstab is the file you edit to permanently mount partitions.

philinux
April 20th, 2009, 03:27 PM
If the ntfs folder is on a windows box you need to use windows to share it.

Can you explain your network?

juancarlospaco
April 20th, 2009, 03:30 PM
python -m SimpleHTTPServer

share something inside your $HOME
;P

john stiles
April 20th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Do not forget if you have a firewall (on the router and maybe on each desktop)to allow traffic from others on the network.

ELD
April 20th, 2009, 04:26 PM
If the ntfs folder is on a windows box you need to use windows to share it.

Can you explain your network?

As i said before it is an ntfs partition that i mount under ubuntu, like many others do. It is just i don't have the right permissions on it.
And no i don't want to move everything into my home to share it, it's over 200GB would take too long to move, and i have seperate partitions for seperate media which i would like to share.

I also used a program before to auto-mount it i didnt have to edit an fstab entry, anyone know that program?