PDA

View Full Version : Any plug-in to block stupid news?

Lateforgym
April 20th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Is there a firefox plug-in that I can update for certain journalists and their pathetic excuses for "news" so that it blocks it from ever showing on my computer no matter what site Im on?

Im sure Im not the only person who feels this way, but there is too much rubbernecking/bubblgum articles on most sites and its about time its stopped. Even if I create a My Yahoo or My Google somehow the "Top News" of the hour is that "Britney has taken two pennys out off the take-a-penny tray!".

I had enough yesterday when Singing and Dancing with the Circus Freaks was the headline news at US Google.

Perhaps there is softwear where I can create my own RSS webpage, but then I would have to pay for web space.

Skripka
April 20th, 2009, 02:32 PM
I presume the KISS and elegant way-of not using My Google/Yahoo is a little too KISS and elegant?

Sealbhach
April 20th, 2009, 02:32 PM
"Britney has taken two pennys out off the take-a-penny tray!".

ZOMG!!!!! Really???!!!!

Have you got a link to that breaking news story?

RSS in thunderbird is how I try to filter the news.

itopsis
April 20th, 2009, 02:50 PM
mmm i think i heard of this greasemonkey script that will block off certain posts in websites

swoll1980
April 20th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Unplug your Ethernet cable.

aeiah
April 20th, 2009, 03:18 PM
i for one welcome news about dancing circus freaks.

is the google newsreader not specific enough? i suppose you could do a grep on a newsbeuter feed for keyboards so it doesnt display them. grep can work in inverse mode so it only prints lines that dont contain the words you're filtering.

-grubby
April 20th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Perhaps there is softwear where I can create my own RSS webpage, but then I would have to pay for web space.

If you're the only one using the web page you could host it locally (i.e. on your computer)

Mr. Picklesworth
April 20th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Well, you could go to the Google News web site, sign up and customize the news it displays.
I have it giving me mostly free software and local news. Does an EXTREMELY good job.

pwnst*r
April 20th, 2009, 03:36 PM

lol

pwnst*r
April 20th, 2009, 03:38 PM

www.netvibes.com

Skripka
April 20th, 2009, 03:41 PM

Now THAT sir, is the MOST KISS solution ever devised. Nobel material right there, folks.

richg
April 20th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Forget it. You cannot fix stupid. Strong? Think of when you did something stupid, learned the error of your ways. As time went on, you found hundreds, thousands dong the same thing. You cannot fix it.

A prime example is of this is all the Windows users with unprotected PCs and clicking on something they should ignore and delete. There is no anti virus that can overcome stupidity

Rich