PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How can I undo an automatic update ?

johnvoisey
April 20th, 2009, 11:54 AM
I feel such an idiot asking this as I really should have known better.

How can I undo an automatic update.

I have an elonex webbook factory fitted by elonex with a version of "intrepid". I acquired this as a bundle with an Orange Option Icon 225 "usb broadband stick".

Two days ago I stupidly allowed an automatic update to go through before doing a system backup.

I believe one of the items that was updated was the gnome network manager, another was the "wader" tool that elonex chose to allow usb broadband access. I've never actually used "wader" as the gnome network manager works fine for me.

Well, I allowed this update, and now the "wader" tool fails to find the usb stick at all and although I can still "connect" to the internet using the networkmanager the machine hangs - freezing totally - within a minute or so.

The usb stick lights all go out, and the only way to resuscitate is to hold the power button until it goes off and then switch it back on.

I couldn't find any help on the machine for this update tool and maybe because I'm panicking I can't see an undo button (!)

I tried searching / googling "ubuntu undo update" and similar but I must be doing something wrong !

I DO have a factory reinstall image and several backups that I could restore, so I'm not TOTALLY up the creek without a paddle, but if someone could point me at some help page or similar I would really appreciate it.

zvacet
April 20th, 2009, 08:40 PM
In synaptic>file tab> history and there you will see what you install.Aftter you uninstall packages you donīt want package tab>lock version and these packages will not be updated again.