PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] install driver software.

im_headhunter
April 20th, 2009, 08:19 AM
:(hello, im new ´with ubutu. first time i installed ububntu, it dont work.
but second time it was sucsesfully installed. My problem is i cant install anything, not even driver software, so i cant use the computer for anyting. it come with an error everytime i trie to install anything,so it wont take my cd's or DVD's. / any ideas or should i just install Microsoft XP.

maybe it,s the file type?

informations about my system:

Compaq 70-120 eo
vista home edition/ now ubutu 8.10
labtop

zeex
April 20th, 2009, 09:15 AM
:(hello, im new ´with ubutu. first time i installed ububntu, it dont work.
but second time it was sucsesfully installed. My problem is i cant install anything, not even driver software, so i cant use the computer for anyting. it come with an error everytime i trie to install anything,so it wont take my cd's or DVD's. / any ideas or should i just install Microsoft XP.

maybe it,s the file type?

informations about my system:

Compaq 70-120 eo
vista home edition/ now ubutu 8.10
labtop

Please always provide a little bit of details :). Welcome to the world of Linux.

There is one thing about linux installation that new users don't know is SWAP space because this step is the part of linux installation process and not a part of XP installation. Tell us more about how you have installed ubuntu.

Tell us what's happening when you start your PC ? Is ubuntu booting correctly can you see the desktop can you use any application like say can you play games. If so that means it's installed okay.

To install any new softwares you need to understand the package installation process. Command line is not a good idea for a new user so you need to learn how to use Synaptic Package Manager

Just to take a taste of what it is, open synaptic { System -> administration -> synaptic package manager}

and follow this link http://www.howtoforge.com/the-perfect-desktop-ubuntu-8.04-lts-hardy-heron-p3

This is for Ubuntu 8.04 LTS so if you are using 8.10 make sure not to use "Quick search :)" Search first and then use quick search to search within the searched items.

All my suggestion are based on assumptions cuz i 've no idea how much you know about using ubuntu and synaptic. Tell us more ... we are all here to help each other.

Mark Phelps
April 20th, 2009, 03:11 PM
... so it wont take my cd's or DVD's

If you're trying to install apps or drivers from MS Windows CDs or DVDs -- that won't work because this is Linux, not MS Windows.

If you're not able to boot from Ubuntu CDs or DVDs, or not able to read files from those, that's a different problem.

Not clear which is the case from what you said ...