PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Desktop Sphere or Cylinder Help

janthonywj
April 20th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Small problem but why not try to fix it...

I'm running Jaunty RC, just finished a clean install. I can't get the desktop cylinder or sphere to work, if the desktop cube is enabled, it works fine, but nothing happens at all when I hit the hot keys for the sphere or cylinder, which seem to be forced to use the same hot keys as the cube, I just disable the cube and enable one of the others.

I'm just using the settings in the desktop menu in system settings, desktop effects.

Anyone help?

Paqman
April 20th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Have you enabled the plugin "rotate cube"?

janthonywj
April 20th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Have you enabled the plugin "rotate cube"?

I've tried it with "Desktop Cube" enabled along with "Desktop Cylinder", and also with "Desktop Cube" disabled and "Desktop Cylinder" still enabled. Same with the "Desktop Sphere", but obviously they are having the same problem.

I do not see a "Rotate Cube" plug-in on the list I'm using, but with the "Desktop Cube" enabled, I can rotate the cube just fine. With it disabled, nothing happens regardless of the "Desktop Cylinder" enabled or not.

Note: I'm not using Compiz or anything, as I don't think they are needed nor supported in 9.04. Just using the standard desktop settings in system settings.

Paqman
April 20th, 2009, 10:19 AM
I'm not using Compiz or anything

Actually you are. Compiz is the system that does desktop effects.

Have you tried installing compizconfig-settings manager? You should definitely have plugins for both "desktop cube" and "rotate cube" that you can enable in that.

CatKiller
April 20th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Actually you are. Compiz is the system that does desktop effects.

Not if he's using Kubuntu. KDE has its own compositing window manager. It just has a lot of the same effects, because that's what people have come to expect.

janthonywj
April 21st, 2009, 12:10 AM
Not if he's using Kubuntu. KDE has its own compositing window manager. It just has a lot of the same effects, because that's what people have come to expect.

I think this statement is correct. When I first started using Kubuntu I was expecting to install Compiz and such, and I did, but it was unstable and for the most part a big hassle, so I read up and apparently I'm not supposed to need it. Not that I know much about this or why.

Still... I have this problem and I'm totally clueless as to why it's not working. Any ideas? It's a clean install... I haven't really changed much other than adding Firefox and changing some color schemes.