PDA

View Full Version : Uncommon Triple Boot (I think)

TheGuitarPlayer
April 20th, 2009, 06:49 AM
I have my pretty up to date pc (scratch the graphics card) dual booting Ubuntu 8.10 and 64-bit Vista Ultimate in GRUB with Vista being the first install. I had a copy of the 10.4 Mac OSX install discs (from the dark days of my Mac :mad:) so I decided, what the hell, let's try a triple boot. All of my partitions were fine and healthy and I had no hardware troubles at all, so I created a 4th partition (already had Vista, Ubuntu and the swap) from excess space on my Vista partition, which made the new partition about 50 GB in size. I popped in my OSX install disc 1 (the original copy) and selected CD-ROM in the pre-GRUB boot menu, and after a little hesitation, it loaded GRUB instead. I restarted multiple times, hoping it would help it read the disc, but eventually I didn't even see the green light on my drive light up indicating it was reading, so I gave up. It's OSX 10.4, whether that matters or not. Any thoughts or suggestions?

namegame
April 20th, 2009, 07:40 AM
If you aren't installing it on Apple Hardware, I'm fairly certain that you would be in breach of the Apple License. That could be why it's not installing it, because it knows it shouldn't be there. However, if you are installing it on Apple Hardware, you have another problem.

TheGuitarPlayer
April 21st, 2009, 03:01 AM
I should've known, with the way Apple is about EVERYTHING they do.... I suppose I'll try VMware or something, thanks for the help!

swoll1980
April 21st, 2009, 03:24 AM
I should've known, with the way Apple is about EVERYTHING they do.... I suppose I'll try VMware or something, thanks for the help!

It won't install in vmware either, as vmware emulates PC hardware. You need a Virtual Mac. I know there are some Mac emulators out there, but don't know how far along they are.

SomeGuyDude
April 21st, 2009, 03:28 AM
Hey wait, this thread isn't MS-bashing! We need to fix that!

Um... OSX won't install because Vista's on there and it's afraid it'll pick up some bugs just due to proximity.

There!

cariboo
April 21st, 2009, 06:12 AM
Seeing as I dealt with something similar earlier.
From the Apple EULA

2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.
A. Single Use. This License allows you to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time. You agree not to install, use
or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-labeled computer, or to enable others to do so. This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one
computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time.

No copyright violations allowed here. I'm closing this thread.

Jim