PDA

View Full Version : How slow can Linux go?

sulekha
April 20th, 2009, 05:59 AM
Hi all,

see this:- http://blogs.computerworld.com/how_slow_can_linux_go

some_random_noob
April 20th, 2009, 06:11 AM
Linux may be customizable, but Ubuntu is putting on the bloat. Try running Xubuntu on an Intel Celeron with 512MB of RAM - it's worse than you'd think, but it kind of works. They need to up the stated requirements a little bit. 256MB with Ubuntu? No thanks, I'd rather have a Gig.

James_Lochhead
April 20th, 2009, 06:19 AM
Yea I saw that on Digg. Lets face it: MS are always trying to blow their own horn. One of their top dogs was busy claiming that Windows 7 is the most secure OS ever (i.e. > Linux, BSD, Apple) last week.

I think we have to be careful about how much bloat gets put on for every bit of eye candy... At this moment I am running Kubuntu with Firefox and a few Dolphins and am using over 800MB of RAM (less when I login), that is quite a lot.

schauerlich
April 20th, 2009, 06:22 AM
I'm sure Microsoft could put out an OS that would run on the same hardware as DSL, it's just not what their software is meant to do. Try to install OpenSuSE on a 30MHz computer and get back to me. It's like comparing an apple to a bushel of oranges.

celthunder
April 20th, 2009, 06:27 AM
Linux may be customizable, but Ubuntu is putting on the bloat. Try running Xubuntu on an Intel Celeron with 512MB of RAM - it's worse than you'd think, but it kind of works. They need to up the stated requirements a little bit. 256MB with Ubuntu? No thanks, I'd rather have a Gig.

At least im not the only one that thinks ubuntu has a bit too much installed by default. I dual boot between arch and ubuntu. Both with xfce4 and arch uses about 230mb of ram with a few things running (browser/xchat/pidgin/conky) ubuntu atm is using 1.2gb... oh well ive got enough ram so it doesnt bother me just think its a little wierd (btw vista 7 ultimate 64/vista 64 ultimate with dreamscenes a browser and msn was using 2gb so its still less than windows) if you only have 512mb of ram add more...you wont regret it.

some_random_noob
April 20th, 2009, 06:49 AM
At least im not the only one that thinks ubuntu has a bit too much installed by default. I dual boot between arch and ubuntu. Both with xfce4 and arch uses about 230mb of ram with a few things running (browser/xchat/pidgin/conky) ubuntu atm is using 1.2gb... oh well ive got enough ram so it doesnt bother me just think its a little wierd (btw vista 7 ultimate 64/vista 64 ultimate with dreamscenes a browser and msn was using 2gb so its still less than windows) if you only have 512mb of ram add more...you wont regret it.

Just as well we have a choice... compared to poor Windows users who get the life sucked out of their computer by default. I'm using Vista right now on my new laptop and it uses a whole Gig doing nothing. I can't wait for Jaunty - I'm going to work flat-out getting wireless working and hopefully I'll use Ubuntu 95% of the time from there on.

XFCE is looking very very nice right now. Xubuntu used to be terrible (it started in 2006 I think) but now it has caught up. It's definitely worth trying.

oOarthurOo
April 20th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Are you guys kidding?

Linux "uses" as much ram as you have. I think Vista finally got the hint and started doing it that way too.

If you wanna compare it XP, try using 'free -m' in a terminal.

wolfen69
April 20th, 2009, 07:07 AM
ram is there to be used, not conserved.

namegame
April 20th, 2009, 07:12 AM

I won't argue with that statement, because it is true, but then there are those of us that are mentally insane. I have 4 GB of RAM in one of my computers and I get nervous when things go over 1 GB RAM consumption.

Some people like making the most beautiful desktop possible, but then there are people like me that try to make the most minimal desktop possible. (I'm still pushing/tweaking to get below 50 MB at boot, with Xorg running.)

pooja86
April 20th, 2009, 07:17 AM
HI

friends I won't argue with that statement, because it is true, but then there are those of us that are mentally insane. I have 2 GB of RAM in one of my computers and I get nervous when things go over 2 GB RAM consumption.

t3tech
April 20th, 2009, 08:11 AM
That's why there's swap space. :)

I have 256M in my ubuntu machine which is running Hardy. It only gets real slow when I'm running the custom jaunty build I'm working on in Virtualbox. But it's also not my primary machine which has 1.2G of RAM (~32M free right now) and runs Slackware.

James_Lochhead
April 20th, 2009, 08:48 AM

You can only use so much though. I regret having 4GB of RAM, it is way too much for a laptop. I don't think I have even hit 3GB playing cod4 reasonably high spec in Windows Vista...