PDA

View Full Version : Going into town to buy myself some books about Linux...

some_random_noob
April 20th, 2009, 03:30 AM
I've just realized that man pages and community documentation is really not that great, so I'm buying the following:

- Linux Administration Handbook 2nd Edition
- Linux Command Line & Shell Scripting Bible

There are heaps of good books at the library too, but I like to actually own stuff. The reason for buying those particular books is because I don't need a beginners guide at my skill level. 1,800 pages should make me a near-expert (this is a career related thing for anyone wondering). I'm also buying "The Rise Of The Fourth Reich" by Jim Marrs.

So yeah... I'm heading into town, let this thread die for all I care. I just wanted to mention that there are some really good books out there for those who can't stand online tutorials. If you look up "Ubuntu" on Amazon (under books) you'll get over 1,000 results. They have everything from pocket guides to Ubuntu bibles.

Even some of the old library books are ok for CLI guides. Discuss.

Vostrocity
April 20th, 2009, 04:55 AM
I agree, but the quality of a lot of low-volume books are degrading too considering how easy it is to self-publish now.

But anyways, I can never understand why some people spend years writing thousands of pages of technical stuff that maybe like a dozen people will ever read.

darrenn
April 20th, 2009, 05:03 AM
While your out would you stop and buy me some pavlova at the local grocer. And don't get mad at me your the one who said he was going to town.

Icehuck
April 20th, 2009, 05:04 AM
I always liked the book, "How Linux Works" by Brian Ward. It's great for understanding the underlying concepts of Linux. The best part is that it's not written like a text book or the boring as heck certification books.

some_random_noob
April 20th, 2009, 06:07 AM
I always liked the book, "How Linux Works" by Brian Ward. It's great for understanding the underlying concepts of Linux. The best part is that it's not written like a text book or the boring as heck certification books.

I think I saw that some place recently... it's good to know that this stuff exists. I always wondered how I could be more 1337 than most people, but I never figured it out. Then one day it hit me: the library (duh!). Speaking of 1337, I found this book while browsing the central library:

http://www.amazon.com/1337-h4x0r-h4ndb00k-tapeworm/dp/0672327279/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240203831&sr=8-1

This is your ticket into the elusive underworld of the Internet, home to millions of elite computer hackers. 1337 h4x0r h4ndb00k will show you how to walk-the-walk and talk-the-talk of this exclusive community. Soon, you too will be able to go into a chat room and carry on conversations speaking the cryptic 1337 language. 1337 h4x0r h4ndb00k will also review the nature of computer viruses, different practical jokes to play on your desktop and tips on how to live the hacker lifestyle. Join the elite society of computer hackers with 1337 h4x0r h4ndb00k as your guide.

I couldn't help but **** myself laughing when I found it next to "hardening linux".

cariboo
April 20th, 2009, 06:19 AM
IF you are checking Amazon for Linux books, don't forget about this (http://www.amazon.com/Official-Ubuntu-Book-Benjamin-Mako/dp/0137021208/) one. One of our forums admins, Matthew, is a co-author.

Jim

James_Lochhead
April 20th, 2009, 06:27 AM
I agree with you about documentation and man pages. This is one of the bad points about Linux. The documentation tends to be complete rubbish as everyone spends their time writing the fun code (this is my opinion at least). Same goes for a lot of the commenting on the code.

As for books... I wish someone would start making a cheap e-book reader so we wouldn't have to pop down to the store and buy yet another huge chunky book. Most are a ridiculous

some_random_noob
April 20th, 2009, 06:43 AM
IF you are checking Amazon for Linux books, don't forget about this (http://www.amazon.com/Official-Ubuntu-Book-Benjamin-Mako/dp/0137021208/) one. One of our forums admins, Matthew, is a co-author.

Thanks for bringing that up. Having a beginners guide or pocket book is a great thing for people starting out. I would love to see it get integrated with preinstalled Ubuntu PCs (Dell or system76 should offer some basic books). IRC and Ubuntu forums aren't the only places to get help. The books are a great idea - if I ever introduce someone to Ubuntu then I'd definitely buy a guide to lend to them. But it seems that a lot of Linux users are very anti-buying-stuff and love anything free. Opensource software needs to blend with commercial 3rd party software and paid-for products if it is to succeed.

As for books... I wish someone would start making a cheap e-book reader so we wouldn't have to pop down to the store and buy yet another huge chunky book. Most are a ridiculous

Yes definitely. But e-books mean more time in front of a screen, so I actually like the idea of books - so long as they stay relevant and don't take up too much space.

kyphi
April 20th, 2009, 06:50 AM
You can download and read this Ubuntu Pocket Guide for free:

http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/

You can download and read Full Circle Magazine for free:

http://fullcirclemagazine.org/

darrenn
April 20th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Oh no your ignoring me I guess I will just go away and never come back.

James_Lochhead
April 20th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Yes definitely. But e-books mean more time in front of a screen, so I actually like the idea of books - so long as they stay relevant and don't take up too much space.

I would agree except for the fact the new generation of e-book readers have screens that are easy on the eyes like paper.

If its reading for pleasure I like audio books because they don't involve straining my already computer-strained eyes more.

Vostrocity
April 20th, 2009, 09:09 AM
While your out would you stop and buy me some pavlova at the local grocer. And don't get mad at me your the one who said he was going to town.

Oh no your ignoring me I guess I will just go away and never come back.

Maybe you're not making sense, maybe I'm just dumb..