PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Access Windows Partition

Simran
April 20th, 2009, 02:20 AM
Hey,

i just downloaded 8.10 and installed it from vista. now its installed and working im wondering if its possible for me to access my windows partition from ubuntu and if so how.

thx

simran

laloruelas
April 20th, 2009, 02:26 AM
Did you delete the vista partition? if not it should be easy to access it, have you checked the places menu?

Simran
April 20th, 2009, 02:31 AM
i have not deleted the partition, i installed inside the windows partition using the .exe on the cd. i still get the boot option of vista but because i installed ubuntu inside my vista partition i dont know how to access the files i used in windows from ubuntu.

theozzlives
April 20th, 2009, 02:42 AM
Hey,

i just downloaded 8.10 and installed it from vista. now its installed and working im wondering if its possible for me to access my windows partition from ubuntu and if so how.

thx

simran

Should be in Places.

Simran
April 20th, 2009, 02:45 AM
Should be in Places.

Its not there, i have - Computer

- CD DVD Creator

- Recovery (recovery partition that came with the laptop when i bought it with vista on)

- CD drive.

my vista partition isn't appearing there.

-kg-
April 20th, 2009, 03:12 AM
Under Places click on Computer. You should have access to your files from there.

Since you installed Ubuntu using Wubi, your installation is on the same partition as Windows; it's just using the Windows partition as it's virtual root partition. All your Windows files should be there and available under Places/Computer, as well as any other drive you have connected, whether CD Burner (as long as there's a disk in it), external hard drive, usb memory stick, or whatever.

I am assuming this, since I've never installed using Wubi, VirtualBox, or any other method rather than full, dual-boot installation. I think it's a reasonable assumption, though.

steve101101
April 20th, 2009, 03:15 AM
you can access it in a folder called host.

steve101101
April 20th, 2009, 03:16 AM
i have used wubi alot and it is quite nice and easy.

Simran
April 20th, 2009, 03:22 AM
you can access it in a folder called host.

thanks so much, thats just what i was looking for. i've never used wubi before so it confused me with where to look.

cheers . Simran
:)

steve101101
April 20th, 2009, 03:26 AM
your welcome. glad I could help out.