PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] nvidia driver + 2HD

Stuper
April 20th, 2009, 01:38 AM
I have been with Linux for about 1 year now - following instructions from forums online making things work - mainly games.

Before running commands through terminal I try to understand what the instruction is trying to tell the 'PC' to do.

Recently I have tried to update my video card driver - following several instructions from several different forums I have ended up with my Linux pretty much buggered - Luckily my home folder was saved onto another HD.

After re-installing ubuntu now onto my primary HD, I'm left with 2 problems now.

To start with I'd like to install the NVIDIA driver that has caused all this problem to begin with - I have no done anything with my clean install of ubuntu yet and wish to install "NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.18-pkg1". - I have followed previous instructions given from previous sites (i hand wrote the instructions given). However they still do not work (I cannot link the sites I got instructions from since they were lost in the last installation.

My second problem is re-establishing the home folder on my second HD to being the primary home folder.

PS not sure if in right section i put in installation since I've just re-installed myself and stuck on issues :)

Thanks - Major n00b

Stuart

Stuper
April 20th, 2009, 01:48 AM
As an extension of my original problem with installing the Nvidia driver. Basicly as I've understood the forums - What ive being doing is removing all traces of nvidia on ubuntu (somthing ive not had to worry about on the clean install).

Ive given myself root access on previous occasions and now to run this driver by:

Ctrl+Alt+F1

logged myself in as root (not as instructions told me, but end result was the same)

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop

cd (path name)

sudo sh NVDIDA (whole name here)

with message "can't open "NVDIDA (whole name here)"

Im just guessing, but when root cant open a file, is the system just saying NO!?

Thanks

Stuart