PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] i need help cd /<path-to-directory>/

David-IT
April 20th, 2009, 12:32 AM
i copyed it to my desktop my ussername is david the file i copied it into is wow_install, so how do i type that in like cd /david/desktop/wow_install?? please help i am very lost any help will be greatlly appreciated!

nandemonai
April 20th, 2009, 12:43 AM
i copyed it to my desktop my ussername is david the file i copied it into is wow_install, so how do i type that in like cd /david/desktop/wow_install?? please help i am very lost any help will be greatlly appreciated!

cd ~/Desktop/wow_install

Remember 2 things...

1. Linux is case sensative.
2. / = the start of the system, a bit like c:\ in Windows

So the full path to a dir in your home (ie Desktop) would be /home/username/Desktop.

~/ is a shortcut to your /home/username directory.

qamelian
April 20th, 2009, 12:43 AM
You would use:

cd ~/Desktop

or

cd $HOME/Desktop

or

cd /home/david/Desktop

spiderbatdad
April 20th, 2009, 12:44 AM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal

ok when you open terminal, generally the environment is /home/user. typing pwd will show you that. so cd Desktop is all that is needed to change to Desktop. The above link should help a lot.

David-IT
April 20th, 2009, 12:49 AM
omg wow tyttyyttytytyt omg i cannot say ty enough is there any way to add like rep or thnx? also ty for the guide i am reading atm!

neu2buntu
April 20th, 2009, 01:04 AM
the terminal always starts in "home" directory when inside gdm ...for example do code
ls (this will show files inside home)
ls -a will show all files including HIDDEN files ie dot "." files.... if you want to move back to the last directory if you have "cd" inside a directory use code
cd .. try searching "linux commands" or "terminal commands" maybe print them out for famialarity!!!! or buy some linux books.......:P

MrWES
April 20th, 2009, 01:15 AM
omg wow tyttyyttytytyt omg i cannot say ty enough is there any way to add like rep or thnx? also ty for the guide i am reading atm!

Just wait until you learn how to write aliases!

http://linuxreviews.org/quicktips/alias/

Plenty of web sites with examples and instructions.

Bill

DGortze380
April 20th, 2009, 01:34 AM
two useful commands for beginners to a CLI

pwd - print working directory, shows your current location in the directory tree

whoami - show which user you are currently operating as

Gen2ly
April 20th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Also bash has auto-complettion which means you can type:

cd ~/Des

Hit tab and line will be completed.

Good to see someone learning the terminal.

David-IT
April 20th, 2009, 02:39 AM
ok i got another problem i pop a disk in for wrath of the lich king the installer executable is hidden and you need to re-mount the disc with the 'unhide' option. To do this type in a terminal: so i use these command's:

sudo umount /dev/cdrom
sudo mount -t iso9660 -o ro,unhide /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom0/once i run the second command it gives me this:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/scd0,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so
and i have tried this in root still nothin, also i am triyng to learn terminal but it is sooo mutch different then cmd imo

steve101101
April 20th, 2009, 02:41 AM
just open the disk normally on nautalis and on the keyboard press Ctrl+H

DGortze380
April 20th, 2009, 02:53 AM
and i have tried this in root still nothin, also i am triyng to learn terminal but it is sooo mutch different then cmd imo

You're right, it's much more powerful, you'll see.

you may try the -o loop flag

example: sudo mount /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom0/ -o loop

But ...

sometimes it's just easier to user the GUI, there is an option to show hidden files, simply select the option (or ctrl+h)... and eject and reinsert the disk if need.

David-IT
April 20th, 2009, 03:10 AM
i tried all those comands and ctrl+h still does nothing even tried h in caps lol if anyone wants to remote connect to me i would greatlly appreacite it dl152567@att.net is my yahoo and windows messenger or please hlp me :D