PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a newbie

tiddlygoose
January 5th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Howdy,

The other day I was rather pissy about being stuck in dependency hell (once again) with Redhat 9. For some reason I went to VMWare's guest OS page and saw the listing for this Ubuntu thing and thought I'd check it out.

First let me say a gihugic (sp?) THANKYOU to those that made the apt-get thingie. Very cool.

I am currently running Ubuntu 5.10 "The Breezy Badger" on a Dell Inspiron 5160 with 1GB of ram through VMWare Workstation 5.5.1 and I have created two separate VM's one regular and one server just so's I could get the feeling for it. NICE! The really nice part is that you create a snapshot with VMWare before making any big changes and if you "screw the pooch" you just roll it back! No I don't work for VMWare. I am just a convert is all.

I can have both VM's running at the same time since I have enough memory. again, if you blow it up, you don't have to pay the price of a wipe and reinstall.

Anyways, I just wanted to share ya know! Ciao!

Zelut
January 5th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Glad you like it. I previously used RH9 before going to back to XP for a while and now I'm 100% Ubuntu. I've got it on my four machines at home & anyplace else I can install it. Things just work :)

rjwood
January 5th, 2006, 10:37 PM
Hi!! Welcome to Ubuntu forums.. The best forums in town--Now you can help make it even better!