PDA

View Full Version : what browser do you think is fastest?

mamamia88
April 19th, 2009, 10:37 PM
i was just wondering what browser you prefer in terms of speed and overall usablity? i like firefox for the ui and customizabilty but it was too slow so i'm trying alternatives like swiftfox, swifteasle, opera, and epiphany and so far i think swifteasel is fastest

knavarathna92
April 19th, 2009, 10:40 PM
swiftweasel I would think but a case can be made for Opera as well. I would support swiftweasel over Opera though because it always seemed to freeze up on me whenever flash content appeared.

TheLions
April 19th, 2009, 10:47 PM
you forgot Minefield a official Firefox development version.

I would say that 3.6pre1 is much faster then 3.08 version!

and yeah, epiphany is the fastest!:o

mamamia88
April 19th, 2009, 10:50 PM
firefox has always been my favorite browser but because of inconsistent speed i'm trying out everything and so far swifteasel has everything i love about firefox with no speed problems

cprofitt
April 19th, 2009, 10:51 PM
No Lynx?

mamamia88
April 19th, 2009, 10:53 PM
No Lynx? never heard of that can't add option to a poll i never heard of

dragos240
April 19th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Links2, fastest.

JK3mp
April 19th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Lol lynx would OWN it up xD. Its a text based browser. Runs in terminal etc.

dragos240
April 19th, 2009, 11:01 PM
So does links2, it's awesome, and it has a small graphical forend, which doesn't work with flash, java, etc.

mamamia88
April 19th, 2009, 11:02 PM
so in lynx are all pics etc removed from page?

SomeGuyDude
April 19th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Using Lynx to browse the web is like listening to a movie over the phone.

dragos240
April 19th, 2009, 11:12 PM

Well, unless you use flash, java, and other extensions, every single minute, xlinks2 woks fine..

SomeGuyDude
April 19th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Well, unless you use flash, java, and other extensions, every single minute, xlinks2 woks fine..

I guess if you want to continually switch between browsers every time you'd like to watch a YouTube video or listen to last.fm/Pandora, then sure. But me, I'm willing to sacrifice a couple MB of memory in order to not have my potential activities limited.

dragos240
April 19th, 2009, 11:47 PM
I guess if you want to continually switch between browsers every time you'd like to watch a YouTube video or listen to last.fm/Pandora, then sure. But me, I'm willing to sacrifice a couple MB of memory in order to not have my potential activities limited.

Yes, I occationally watch a youtube video from walusguy, but only when he decides to make one, then I use firefox.

smartboyathome
April 19th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Firefox-PGO-beta, after compiling with the -march=native -O3 CFLAGs. ;)

SomeGuyDude
April 19th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Firefox-PGO-beta, after compiling with the -march=native -O3 CFLAGs. ;)

I can't get that thing to compile! After about an hour I get a friggin' error 2 and nothing seems to fix it. I'm very effing annoyed because I wanna use it.

chucky chuckaluck
April 19th, 2009, 11:59 PM
opera's fast, but in a no-doze, too many cups of coffee kind of way.

smartboyathome
April 20th, 2009, 12:07 AM
I can't get that thing to compile! After about an hour I get a friggin' error 2 and nothing seems to fix it. I'm very effing annoyed because I wanna use it.

I was getting that, but the latest build from AUR makes it work. Perhaps it is because I am running a package version less (I am running 3.1b3-1 instead of 3.1-b3-2), but it worked for me, so I can't complain. ;)

SomeGuyDude
April 20th, 2009, 12:18 AM
:(

I'm trying it right now with

CFLAGS="-march=core2 -O2 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

Hopefully it'll work.

meho_r
April 20th, 2009, 12:27 AM
How is it possible that nobody mentioned ultrafast Midori (http://www.twotoasts.de/index.php?/pages/midori_summary.html), a real candidate for the fastest browser? All browsers mentioned in poll are miles behind it. OP should have included it so the poll can be closed at peace :P

SomeGuyDude
April 20th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Midori, from what I recall, is hilariously unstable.

I-75
April 20th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Dillo is the fastest browser by a mile...

Firestem4
April 20th, 2009, 12:38 AM
The new Firefox 3.1 beta 3 im running is blistering fast. It is competing with Chrome at this point. I love it.

Saint Angeles
April 20th, 2009, 12:51 AM
How is it possible that nobody mentioned ultrafast Midori (http://www.twotoasts.de/index.php?/pages/midori_summary.html), a real candidate for the fastest browser? All browsers mentioned in poll are miles behind it. OP should have included it so the poll can be closed at peace :P
im trying midori right now, because of your post, but i notice that when im in fullscreen mode, the screen flickers like crazy. thats kind of lame.

plus, its quick... but not noticably faster than my firefox... at least, not from what i'm seeing here.

cprofitt
April 20th, 2009, 01:52 AM

But it is 'fast'...

sertse
April 20th, 2009, 02:16 AM
lynx/links(2)/elinks/w3m is probably the fastest. However they are terminal browsers. Elinks is the most advanced of those, supporting cookies, somewhat supporting css and very limited (but it exists!) javascript abilities.

Graphically; it is probably Dillo or links2 -g (the graphical version of links). They all have limitations in various ways though.

On the next level (no fancy features but it renders website correctly and flash/java/script works) we have Midori and Arora. Both are light Webkit based browsers, former is gtk, latter is qt. Some have reported stability issues, especially when using older versions (like in the ubuntu repos) - using the very latest versions fixes it somewhat.

Finally we have Firefox and Opera. Stock Opera is generally faster than stock Firefox, but complicating things there are stuff like the betas, optimised builds from source, swiftfox etc..

I think this covers the "mainstream" browsers. We can close the thread now :P

Mateo
April 20th, 2009, 02:40 AM
We're talking just linux, right? Because Chrome blows every other browser out of the water in terms of speed. But for linux probably swiftfox for graphical browsers and elinks for non.

SomeGuyDude
April 20th, 2009, 03:58 AM
Whatever happened to that Kashehakase browser or whatever it was called? The Firefox knockoff? Thing was pretty dang fast, even if it wasn't fantastic overall.

kingbilly
April 20th, 2009, 04:08 AM
Topic title only mentions speed, opening post mentions speed and usability.

Yeah dillo! I remember the first netscape 1.0 - left aligned text on GRAY(no white) backgrounds lol.

Back to topic,
I have swiftfox and its running pretty quick.
I would love to try opera, and I just may, but I need all my firefox extensions:

NoScript
Adblock
FoxyProxy
GooglePreview
AutoPager
FoxTab
UserAgentSwitcher
Firebug
Stylish

9 add-ons, using 137mb memory after being open for about 6 hours.

Vostrocity
April 20th, 2009, 04:36 AM
Opera all the way! And yay it's in the lead by one. Opera is crazy fast, especially when you deal with 50+ tabs at a time (like me :D). Not only that, it's also the most full-featured out of the box (comes with email client, rss reader, torrent client, etc.) And it has a text only mode too, if you really want it.

Chrome is great too, can't wait for the Linux version.

Edit: Actually I guess my argument wasn't exactly fair since I've only used the big names (FF, IE, Safari, Opera, Chrome, Epiphany, and uh.. TheWorld, Galeon)

lisati
April 20th, 2009, 04:39 AM
My choice of browser on three of my machines is firefox in both Ubuntu & Windows. On my Win98 machine I have IE6 but can't be bothered since I use that machine for small programming projects, and prefer my Ubuntu machines for internet.

SomeGuyDude
April 20th, 2009, 04:40 AM
Funny thing about Opera's built-in crap is none of it works nearly as well as the alternatives. I'll take deluge for my torrents and the Google suite for email/RSS/etc.

lisati
April 20th, 2009, 04:42 AM
Funny thing about Opera's built-in crap is none of it works nearly as well as the alternatives. I'll take deluge for my torrents and the Google suite for email/RSS/etc.

Speaking of Opera, I tried an old version on my Win98 machine a few weeks back, and wasn't comfortable with it. Maybe it was a combination of unfamiliarity and its being an old version, but it didn't seem to work too well for me.

EDIT: my Win98 machine is pretty slow by today's standards (133MHz) so browsing's not a priority on it.

myusername
April 20th, 2009, 04:43 AM
out of my experience opera 10 alpha was faster than any of the new browsers. ff 3.5 and chrome where tied for a close 2nd. ill continue to use ff though because opera is just too weird to use and plain ugly

ubuntu-geek
April 20th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Firefox 3.1b3 is pretty speedy for me.. FF got my vote.

sadicote
April 20th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Horse for courses..Opera takes ages to load images images in Linux, while it is pretty fast on Windows.

Firestem4
April 20th, 2009, 05:20 AM
We're talking just linux, right? Because Chrome blows every other browser out of the water in terms of speed. But for linux probably swiftfox for graphical browsers and elinks for non.

Check out Firefox 3.1 Beta 3 (Will be releasd as FF 3.5). Incredibly fast. It competes with Chrome for speed. Its wonderfully stable as of now too =)

Firestem4
April 20th, 2009, 05:21 AM
Also, while I voted for Firefox. Konqueror is actually not very slow once you get it up and running. (For some reason first few web pages you visit take forever, but after that it is very fast. It however does render certain content over others remarkebly worse or better)

U-Bom-2
April 20th, 2009, 05:28 AM
Safari is cool too... i like it... but because is not on the list i choose Firefox

maspin
April 20th, 2009, 05:39 AM
What about Internet Explorer?

Vostrocity
April 20th, 2009, 05:46 AM
Now that I think about it, I (and probably most people) never use Opera's built in clients either. But the browser's still great.

out of my experience opera 10 alpha was faster than any of the new browsers. ff 3.5 and chrome where tied for a close 2nd. ill continue to use ff though because opera is just too weird to use and plain ugly
No way, Opera isn't ugly at all. It's just that the default theme doesn't integrate well with any OS.

Btw I have to add that IE is the fugliest browser ever, not to mention that it's obviously the worst in usage (even IE8 which some ppl actually like).

Safari is cool too... i like it... but because is not on the list i choose Firefox
Lol, Safari...

meho_r
April 20th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Midori, from what I recall, is hilariously unstable.

Works fine here. Which version did you try? I'm using 0.1.4 and no problems yet.

im trying midori right now, because of your post, but i notice that when im in fullscreen mode, the screen flickers like crazy. thats kind of lame.

plus, its quick... but not noticably faster than my firefox... at least, not from what i'm seeing here.

I don't use fullscreen usually, but tried it now and no flickering at all. All normal.

And about speed, speedup is so noticable comparing all other browser that it is pretty incredible. My friend tested it on Slackware too and he couldn't believe what he saw :) And, beside that, if I remember well, some pages worke fine with Midori where other browsers fail. So, on my speed-toplist, Midori is no.1

BTW, I mainly use Firefox, but, I think Opera is no.2 if we talk of speed. On the usability field, nothing comes close to Firefox :)

Sand & Mercury
April 20th, 2009, 10:42 AM
What about Internet Explorer?

lol

As someone mentioned before, Midori seems great for speed. It's still a hard-hat piece of software for the moment though.

James_Lochhead
April 20th, 2009, 11:32 AM
On Linux:

None of them. I have used Epiphany (and the other one like it - forgot name), Opera and Firefox. They are all pretty similar on my newish laptop (2.26GHz dual core, 4GB of RAM, 64 bit).

Except for Konqueror... that seems to be slow as anything.

On Windows: (except for IE - haven't used that for more than 5 mins since v5)

They are also pretty much the same. Except for:

Google Chrome... which is blisteringly fast.

I have heard really good things about Chrome. Apparently, it is really secure, fast (as I said), its got add-ons and the Linux version is going to use GTK!

Shaping up to be a great browser.

Note:

I like Firefox... it's not exactly slim though, they need to work out how to reduce its resource consumption, increase security (do sandboxing like chrome), do same faster rendering, do a native GTK (and possibly QT) version and make it more customizable. That would make it the perfect browser for Linux...

Giant Speck
April 20th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Of all the browsers I've used, I'm going to go with Google Chrome as the fastest.

.Maleficus.
April 20th, 2009, 11:47 AM
This thread got me thinking, so I installed Opera. It is leaps and bounds ahead of Firefox 3.0.8. I think I'm going to try out the FF 3.1 beta soon too, simply because I have some extensions that I really need that Opera doesn't have.

billgoldberg
April 20th, 2009, 01:07 PM
i was just wondering what browser you prefer in terms of speed and overall usablity? i like firefox for the ui and customizabilty but it was too slow so i'm trying alternatives like swiftfox, swifteasle, opera, and epiphany and so far i think swifteasel is fastest

What browser do you think is fastest?

It isn't a point of what you think which is fastest, it is a fact that some browsers under different conditions (read hardware, add-ons, ...) are faster or slower than others.

You can measure their performance and reach the correct answer to your question.

That said, in what do you mean with "speed" or "faster"?

Faster rendering of html, javascript, performance with many tabs open, starting time, ...?

SomeGuyDude
April 20th, 2009, 01:18 PM
BTW, once I finally got Firefox-PGO to compile, it's faster that Opera was on my machine.

Skripka
April 20th, 2009, 02:06 PM

It isn't a point of what you think which is fastest, it is a fact that some browsers under different conditions (read hardware, add-ons, ...) are faster or slower than others.

You can measure their performance and reach the correct answer to your question.

Faster rendering of html, javascript, performance with many tabs open, starting time, ...?

If it is javascripting-any of the minimalist Webkit based browsers are 4Xfaster than either Opera or Firefox, or it's derivatives--and probably faster at boot to. Heck, if run Konqueror on it's webkit plugin (and not KHTML)-it is also that fast.

In which case it would be a near tie between Aroa, Midori, and Konqueror--none of which are on the above list-for some reason.

artir
April 20th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Epiphany is the fastest, hands down, It even kicks safari 4's ***.

omar8
April 20th, 2009, 03:55 PM
I once installed Firefox in wine because I couldn't get flash working properly and it was far faster than any other Linux browser, if you don't believe me try it. Flash works far faster too. Wine is awesome!

meho_r
April 20th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Is this poll about browsers on Linux or generally? Didn't know Google Chrome was available on Linux.

CharmyBee
April 20th, 2009, 08:59 PM
I find seamonkey to be pretty fast (than firefox even), considering how ironic it is being a full suite.
I can run it on my 12+ year old computer better as well (it's the only fully featured open source browser I can use on such thing actually)

Vostrocity
April 21st, 2009, 07:25 AM

No actually it *is* what you *think* is fastest. Most people care more about the overall feel of the browser than simple benchmarks.

Is this poll about browsers on Linux or generally? Didn't know Google Chrome was available on Linux.
It wouldn't matter since all the fastest browser are on Linux anyways. :D Except Chrome, which is why we're talking about it.

On a separate note: To a lot of people, no matter how good another browser is, you just can't live without your personal set of FF add-ons. (unless it's swiftfox or swiftweasel etc.) So that means I'm still using FF as my primary even though I like Opera better. :(

zugu
April 21st, 2009, 09:05 AM
Webkit Epiphany seems faster than anything in that list.

billgoldberg
April 21st, 2009, 12:15 PM
No actually it *is* what you *think* is fastest. Most people care more about the overall feel of the browser than simple benchmarks.

The one with the fastest benchmark under similar conditions as your hardware will have the best overall feel.

3rdalbum
April 21st, 2009, 02:03 PM
Konqueror 64-bit was almost twice as fast as Flock 32-bit in my tests! Granted, Konqueror still only got 700... but it's encouraging.

SomeGuyDude
April 21st, 2009, 02:35 PM
On a separate note: To a lot of people, no matter how good another browser is, you just can't live without your personal set of FF add-ons. (unless it's swiftfox or swiftweasel etc.) So that means I'm still using FF as my primary even though I like Opera better. :(

A-yup. I think Opera's the best "base" of the big guys, but I seriously can't live without my various tweaks. Firefox is just insanely tweakable.

mamamia88
April 21st, 2009, 02:43 PM
opera doesn't always display pages properly though

chucky chuckaluck
April 21st, 2009, 03:56 PM
Konqueror 64-bit was almost twice as fast as Flock 32-bit in my tests!

that's like being smarter than a scallop.

toasty_ghosty
April 21st, 2009, 04:48 PM
Firefox cannot be the fastest browser. Don't get me wrong, its what I use 99% of the time, but speed wise, no way. Minefield maybe, but just plain Firefox, no. Opera, Swiftfox etc are all much much faster.

Just my 2 cents.

Godly
April 21st, 2009, 04:49 PM
Firefox all day!

gjoellee
April 21st, 2009, 04:50 PM
Opera 10 Alpha gets my vote at the moment

Dileeshvar
April 21st, 2009, 05:08 PM
Firefox is the BEST !!!

:KS:KS

Erix
April 21st, 2009, 06:10 PM
Opera for sure.

Delever
April 21st, 2009, 06:13 PM
So much obsession over fastest browser... I guess because they all work now.

karellen
April 21st, 2009, 06:19 PM
chrome... :)

TheLions
April 21st, 2009, 06:24 PM
http://slike.hr/slika/beznaslova2.png (http://slike.hr)

tested at:
http://service.futuremark.com/peacekeeper/index.action

EDIT: tested opera 10!
tested on Ubuntu 8.10,
AMD X2 3800+
2GB DDR1
Nvidia 7600GT

durand
April 21st, 2009, 06:32 PM
Opera 10 alpha rocks. If only they supported gtk, it's the only non gtk application that I use :(

I tried midori again today. It looks nice and it seems to render like opera but it feels much slower to me. Webkit might be fast for javascript but it seems to be slower than opera for normal web pages on my laptop...

I don't know what it is, but I really can't stand using firefox for more than a few minutes. It just feels a but rusty and old to me :/

EDIT: Benchmark of opera 10 alpha attached. I accidently left my CPUs on powersaving mode so it might not be accurate..

Giant Speck
April 22nd, 2009, 03:04 AM
Chromium Pre-Alpha

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk122/SpecKtacle/Screenshot-15.png

Firefox (Shiretoko) 3.5 beta 4pre

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk122/SpecKtacle/Screenshot-16.png

Whoo! Chromium!

chucky chuckaluck
April 22nd, 2009, 03:08 AM
it's definitely not konqueror with webkit (i could write out the entire internet by hand waiting for this mess to finish crashing).

sertse
April 22nd, 2009, 03:11 AM
nvm double post

sertse
April 22nd, 2009, 03:12 AM
Pics of benchmarks

If that's the result, it really help proves firefox. It's simply not worth the loss in customisations for only a slight increase in speed...

Bungo Pony
April 22nd, 2009, 04:06 AM
I love my Opera. It's fast and stable. Firefox on the other hand has been the opposite: it's noticeably slower and it crashes more often than I'd like. I only use it for the occasional page that Opera doesn't like.

chucky chuckaluck
April 22nd, 2009, 04:16 AM
midori is either fast, or i'm five beers slow.

Vostrocity
April 22nd, 2009, 07:13 PM
The one with the fastest benchmark under similar conditions as your hardware will have the best overall feel.
No definitely not. Having the fastest javascript benchmark isn't going to make the browser feel faster. I'm saying if one browser has tab animation, then it might feel slower if you have 50 tabs open. Or if you did Ctrl + t 10 times in row, Opera's gonna open up 10 new tabs instantly, whereas FF might give a 3 second lag.

Based on the Chromium test, I'm gonna have to try it. I always had the notion that running an emulated browser would be ugly.

drawkcab
April 22nd, 2009, 08:47 PM
Anyone been goofing around with Mozilla's new Minefield??? It is supposed to be crazy fast.

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/10/26/screaming-fast-mozilla-browser-minefield-gives-a-glimpse-of-fire/

Btw, FF on 8.10 has been, well, not so great for me--especially on the 64 bit version. So far so good with 9.04 32 bit beta.

init1
April 22nd, 2009, 09:50 PM
Anyone been goofing around with Mozilla's new Minefield??? It is supposed to be crazy fast.

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/10/26/screaming-fast-mozilla-browser-minefield-gives-a-glimpse-of-fire/

Btw, FF on 8.10 has been, well, not so great for me--especially on the 64 bit version. So far so good with 9.04 32 bit beta.
I'm using Minefield 3.0.8 in SliTaz and it appears to be rather fast. Of course, everything but /home is in RAM, so everything is fast.

Keithhed
April 22nd, 2009, 09:58 PM
Firefox works great for me, I use it on all my machines, running Ubuntu,Vista and XP. Speed and customization options are great as well

Skripka
April 22nd, 2009, 10:05 PM
Chromium Pre-Alpha

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk122/SpecKtacle/Screenshot-15.png

Whoo! Chromium!

That's nice...Arora on my box scores 1318. :P

Konqueror with Webkit KPart-gets 1340 :P

swoll1980
April 22nd, 2009, 10:57 PM
Firefox 3.5 out scored 3.0 by 75% on my machine

zugu
April 23rd, 2009, 08:11 AM
According to the Futuremark site, Safari 4 and Chrome 2 blow everything out of the water. Their score is at least 80% better than Firefox 3.6a1pre.

Webkit decimates its competition.

Vostrocity
April 23rd, 2009, 08:52 PM
Ok, I tried out Chromium. It was ok, but not nearly as zippy or pretty as running native in Windows. Plus, CrossOver says that you shouldn't use it as your main browser. So now I'm uninstalling, and that's the problem. I'm a noob at Ubuntu btw. :) I click the uninstall menu item, and a dialog tells me to run cxuninstall as root, which I do and then the same dialog comes up. Maybe I'm not running it "as root" cuz I have no idea what that means. Need some help here.

drjonze
April 23rd, 2009, 08:58 PM
You can have my Firefox when you pry it from my cold, dead hands. :)

Honestly, I've only briefly tried Opera, Chrome and a few others so I don't have much of a comparison. I just love Firefox and can't imagine switching. I have no complaints with speed and a few basic tweaks have eased its voracious appetite for memory.

adamlau
April 23rd, 2009, 09:09 PM
Opera 10.00.4268 feels faster than Firefox 3.1b2 PGO overall, though it seems 3.1b2 PGO renders pages faster.
Check out some of my 3.0.9 PGO builds at :) : http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=863455

Giant Speck
April 23rd, 2009, 09:16 PM
Ok, I tried out Chromium. It was ok, but not nearly as zippy or pretty as running native in Windows. Plus, CrossOver says that you shouldn't use it as your main browser. So now I'm uninstalling, and that's the problem. I'm a noob at Ubuntu btw. :) I click the uninstall menu item, and a dialog tells me to run cxuninstall as root, which I do and then the same dialog comes up. Maybe I'm not running it "as root" cuz I have no idea what that means. Need some help here.

You should try the native Chromium, not the WINE or CrossOver Chromium. It's only pre-Alpha, but also pretty fast.

https://launchpad.net/~chromium-daily/+archive/ppa

SomeGuyDude
April 23rd, 2009, 09:27 PM
Opera 10.00.4268 feels faster than Firefox 3.1b2 PGO overall, though it seems 3.1b2 PGO renders pages faster.
Check out some of my 3.0.9 PGO builds at :) : http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=863455

PGO is where it's at. :)

khelben1979
April 23rd, 2009, 09:43 PM
Opera (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opera_(web_browser)).

Since I tend to use a huge amount of addons for Firefox I myself is to blame if my Firefox browser is slower. I don't know if it is.

swoll1980
April 23rd, 2009, 10:54 PM
I just ran the test in Windows. Firefox 3 got a 242 IE7 got a 90

Vostrocity
April 24th, 2009, 04:21 AM
You should try the native Chromium, not the WINE or CrossOver Chromium. It's only pre-Alpha, but also pretty fast.

https://launchpad.net/~chromium-daily/+archive/ppa

For now, I'm too lazy to try anything less than beta, let alone pre-alpha. :|

kk0sse54
April 24th, 2009, 04:24 AM
I love Opera, works great for me :)

LE CHARBON
April 25th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Swiftweasel for me.:twisted:

Einsamkeit
April 25th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Firefox has served me well until now, so Firefox, I choose you!

hanzomon4
April 26th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Who cares if it's fast... does it work? Epiphany is great but the spellchecker refuses to work in the webkit version and needs a workaround in the gecko version. Konqueror is nice but for some reason in jaunty flash works 50% of the time. Midori=crash, and Opera has been crashing on Jaunty.. and refusing to die. It just sits there as a process eating up 100% cpu.

The only browser that I use that's perfect is firefox. Epiphany is a distant 2nd... Opera, on par with the fox on all the other releases but Jaunty.

mamamia88
April 26th, 2009, 12:31 AM
ok i'm using opera and love it and keep firefox open on a separate workspace in case a page doesn't display correctly seems to work great for me and once i fixed the fonts i fell in love with it

WatchingThePain
April 26th, 2009, 12:55 AM
Opera or Epiphany

collinp
April 26th, 2009, 01:36 AM
In terms of speed, Opera. In terms of usability, Firefox.

sadicote
April 26th, 2009, 02:16 AM
In terms of speed, Opera. In terms of usability, Firefox.

I am sure you mean Opera on Windows. Have you tried it on Ubuntu, it sucks.

Vostrocity
April 26th, 2009, 04:44 AM
No it seems every bit as fast as on Windows. I'm have Opera 9 on 8.10.

Lupi
April 26th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Google Chrome

sadicote
April 26th, 2009, 08:14 AM
No it seems every bit as fast as on Windows. I'm have Opera 9 on 8.10.

You must have a very fast Internet connection to not notice the difference. Lucky you!:)

RazVayne
April 26th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Aren't browsers more of a choice in taste than actual performance?
I like Midori,obviously not because of its awesome functionality but just because I do.
Oh,and I'm posting this from Firefox...hihi

Phreaker
April 26th, 2009, 09:34 AM
I'm happy with Firefox's speed

telmac
April 26th, 2009, 09:39 AM
none of the above. The Safari 4 BETA! BETA! is fastest. it is the only web browser ever! ever! to pass the acid3 test (http://acid3.acidtests.org/). ever! and it passed with flying colors. literally. (that is the test).

Giant Speck
April 26th, 2009, 09:48 AM
none of the above. The Safari 4 BETA! BETA! is fastest. it is the only web browser ever! ever! to pass the acid3 test (http://acid3.acidtests.org/). ever! and it passed with flying colors. literally. (that is the test).

Acutally, Opera 10.0 Build 1456 Alpha and Google Chrome both scored 100/100 on the Acid3 test. In addition, Iris Browser, a mobile browser for Windows Mobile smartphones is the only mobile browser that has passed the Acid3 test.

Vostrocity
April 26th, 2009, 01:11 PM
You must have a very fast Internet connection to not notice the difference. Lucky you!:)

No actually I only have 8Mb. Don't think that's extremely fast.

LinuxGuy1234
April 26th, 2009, 01:20 PM
I ran a test against Kazehakese and Konqueror. Kazehakese was the fastest by 1 second.

Giant Speck
April 26th, 2009, 01:50 PM
No actually I only have 8Mb. Don't think that's extremely fast.

I had 8Mbps internet when I was in Texas. It was really cheap, too: about $30 a month.

Here in Alaska, I'm paying $59 a month for 2Mbps. :(

kenweill
April 26th, 2009, 02:33 PM
As with my experience, to answer the question about which is the fastest, i voted for Opera. Based on my experience, both in linux and in windows, Opera is the fastest.

In terms of usability, firefox rules.

Vostrocity
April 26th, 2009, 06:21 PM
I had 8Mbps internet when I was in Texas. It was really cheap, too: about $30 a month.

Here in Alaska, I'm paying $59 a month for 2Mbps. :(

Getting offtopic a bit, I had $47 for 6Mb but my ISP threw out the 4 and 6Mb plans so I got upgraded to 8Mb free. :guitar:

MaxIBoy
April 26th, 2009, 06:46 PM
It's hard to answer your question, because the main bottleneck is your Internet connection and the server, not the browser itself.

However, Links is definitely faster (and renders much more nicely than Lynx.)

hanzomon4
April 26th, 2009, 06:46 PM

Word... Safari 4 is a sexy beast!!!!

h!v
April 26th, 2009, 06:55 PM
I'd say Opera. But when it comes to flash, FF handles it better sadly.

AS been pointed out. Safari is not the only one.

chucky chuckaluck
May 17th, 2009, 10:33 PM
hey, when did epiphany get so fast? it's zooming on my laptop.

SLEEPER_V
May 18th, 2009, 02:41 AM
arora isnt terrible. not as fast as ff or epiphany, buty more stable than midori.

midbrowser is pretty decent

amitabhishek
May 18th, 2009, 05:19 AM
swiftweasel I would think but a case can be made for Opera as well. I would support swiftweasel over Opera though because it always seemed to freeze up on me whenever flash content appeared.

On me too!

I find Songbird real snappy!

starcannon
May 18th, 2009, 05:47 AM
Links 2

jsmidt
May 18th, 2009, 05:59 AM
GUI browser: dillo

monsterstack
May 18th, 2009, 06:16 AM
Here's the results for bog-standard Swiftfox with a few extensions:
http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww177/stuffandstuffand/swiftfox.jpg

The results for the 3.5 Firefox:
http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww177/stuffandstuffand/shiretoko.jpg

And here's Firefox for Windows running in Wine:
http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww177/stuffandstuffand/firefox-wine.jpg

Here's Opera:
http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww177/stuffandstuffand/opera.jpg

Seems like the new Firefox is making some improvements. I can't test Chromium yet because the version I have doesn't have options for getting through crummy web proxies.

skymera
May 18th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Running 3.5b4 and it's blazing :D

Cope57
May 18th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Almost 30 browsers available (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_web_browsers), and the poll has five to choose from.

Does not seem fair. Also does not seem fair that Ubuntu comes with and the default browser is Firefox, and you post this poll in a Ubuntu forum.
I would not be surprised if Firefox does not win the votes as most popular.

I would have to say that any text based browser would be the fastest browser though. If you have a hard time navigating a text browser. Try navigating the web without your mouse.

If you can learn to navigate a text browser without a mouse, you can browse websites faster than you have before.

chucky chuckaluck
May 22nd, 2009, 12:44 PM
been trying chromium. it's almost as fast as dillo, but a lot more useful.

to cope57... i use elinks a lot, but the problem with it, aside from the obvious one of not being able to see any images, is that the layout is often a mess, especially for forums, making it hard to navigate from a viewing point. yes, you can view some images using something like feh, but that actually takes longer.