PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Why is my monitor wacko after the OS loads?

durija
April 19th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Finally got Ubuntu (8.04.2) to dual boot with my XP install on my old Dell.
http://www.uluga.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7099796
But now, when I boot into Ubuntu, everything looks right at first. I get the black screen with the ubuntu logo and the orange progress bar. (I guess this is where the hand off to the OS happens.) Anyway, after that, the monitor goes to a static blue field with a bunch of garbage and a half inch square white box for a mouse cursor. I can move the cursor, but there is nothing to do with it. The only way out from here is to reach down and hold the power button until it shuts down. Anybody have an idea of how I can proceed?

mgranet
April 19th, 2009, 08:01 PM
When you see the blue screen with garbage, press and hold CTRL-ALT, then press F1. This will take you to the console. Now login, and type in
gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf Post the contents here.

durija
April 19th, 2009, 08:08 PM
When you see the blue screen with garbage, press and hold CTRL-ALT, then press F1. This will take you to the console. Now login, and type in

Pressed and held CTRL-ALT and then pressed F1 while holding. No response. It is like everything is locked except the square box cursor.

ktrnka
April 19th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Reboot and select recovery mode from GRUB. If asked, select to drop to a root shell and execute:

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Just answer yes and ok to all the questions. Then type exit and then select resume normal boot. (or reboot your computer as normal).

If that still didn't work, get back into recovery mode and open your xorg.conf:

nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Then move to where it says "Device" and add - Driver "vesa"

right below the "Device" section. Make sure it's Driver without quotes and "vesa" with quotes. Then hit ctrl-x then Enter to save your settings & reboot as normal.

starcannon
April 19th, 2009, 08:15 PM

gedit doesn't work so great in a console, nano however is a solid choice.

+1 to ktrnka (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=258521)'s safemode post, if that doesn't do it, then some time troubleshooting in console may be coming.

mgranet
April 19th, 2009, 08:19 PM
gedit doesn't work so great in a console, nano however is a solid choice.

I use nano on Kubuntu, but wasn't sure if gedit replaced it in Ubuntu. Good to know though! :)

durija
April 19th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Thanks ktrnka. Very interesting going through those screens, even if I only vaguely understood a tiny part of it. That eventually got me to the normal login screen. So I have to decide whether to reboot now, or download and install updates. I leaning toward the latter. Might even have a fix in there. Or is there something else I should do first?

neu2buntu
April 19th, 2009, 08:35 PM
i have read in other posts that
xterm will run no matter what problems there are with graphics....hopefully i wont need to find this out!!!

ktrnka
April 19th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Thanks ktrnka. Very interesting going through those screens, even if I only vaguely understood a tiny part of it. That eventually got me to the normal login screen. So I have to decide whether to reboot now, or download and install updates. I leaning toward the latter. Might even have a fix in there. Or is there something else I should do first?

If you are having problems, I would most definitely make sure that the system has been fully updated.

ktrnka
April 19th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Once you get your system back up, then you can start "toying" around trying to get the correct driver to work. What is your system's graphics card?

durija
April 19th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Update: When I went back to the machine, I was given the choice of whether to enable the proprietary Nvidia video driver. I thought, "of course". I did and restarted without any problems. Then I installed all updates and again no problems, so I guess this one is solved. However, I wish there was a way to avoid this in the first place. (Install my oem video card if I can find it?) Apparently there is a problem with the generic drivers and my (at the time) high end video card. Not looking forward to reinstalling on this box. Two big headaches so far.

At least if I have problems, this is a friendly and helpful crowd. Thanks so much, especially ktrnka. Go Red Wings. I think I'm ready to Ubuntu!

starcannon
April 19th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Update: When I went back to the machine, I was given the choice of whether to enable the proprietary Nvidia video driver. I thought, "of course". I did and restarted without any problems. Then I installed all updates and again no problems, so I guess this one is solved. However, I wish there was a way to avoid this in the first place. (Install my oem video card if I can find it?) Apparently there is a problem with the generic drivers and my (at the time) high end video card. Not looking forward to reinstalling on this box. Two big headaches so far.

At least if I have problems, this is a friendly and helpful crowd. Thanks so much, especially ktrnka. Go Red Wings. I think I'm ready to Ubuntu!

Nice job! And yeah, you've stumbled into one of the friendliest forums on the web.

ktrnka
April 19th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Glad to help. Just helping to repay the debt I owe to these forums! :) Gotta love the Ubuntu crowd!