PDA

View Full Version : easier way in bash?

PGScooter
April 19th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Hi,

Suppose I have "'one', 'green', 'sevenkj'" in an array. Is there an easier way rather than one by one doing the following?

if [ "$aname" = 'one' ] || [ "$aname" = 'green' ] || [ "$aname" = 'sevenkj' ] || [ "$aname" = 'tricky' ] || [ "$aname" = 'slot' ] || [ "$aname" = 'fish' ] || [ "$aname" = 'flick' ] || [ "$aname" = 'plughome' ]; then

thanks!

PhrankDaChickenGeek
April 19th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Try something along the lines of:

RESULT=$(echo $ARRAY | grep "$aname")
if [ "$RESULT" != "" ]; then

If $RESULT contains something, then $aname was found in the array. Otherwise $RESULT will = ""

jpkotta
April 19th, 2009, 08:26 PM
You can also do something like:

#!/bin/bash

declare -a names
names=(one green sevenkj)

is_name_valid()
{
a_name="$1"
valid=0
for ((i = 0; i < ${#names}; i++)) ; do
if [[ "$a_name" = "${names[$i]}" ]] ; then
valid=1
break
fi
done
echo $valid
}

echo $(is_name_valid "foo")
echo $(is_name_valid "one")

Honestly, I like PhrankDaChickenGeek's better, but this way you don't need to run grep.

PGScooter
April 20th, 2009, 01:53 AM
phrank and jpkotta,

thank you both for your help! phrank, that is a very creative and quick way.

jpkatta, are there any main reasons why I would not want to use grep? is it more reliable/faster to use simpler commands?

Arndt
April 20th, 2009, 10:07 AM
phrank and jpkotta,

thank you both for your help! phrank, that is a very creative and quick way.

jpkatta, are there any main reasons why I would not want to use grep? is it more reliable/faster to use simpler commands?

Beware if one of the entries might match the other, for example if you have both "green" and "greenish". Anchoring the grep search (using ^ and $) may be enough to solve that problem.

PGScooter
April 20th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Beware if one of the entries might match the other, for example if you have both "green" and "greenish". Anchoring the grep search (using ^ and $) may be enough to solve that problem.

ah, indeed I had not thought of that! thank you

odyniec
April 20th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Here's another method -- no grep, just bash. Example of checking for an element that exists in the array:

$ array=(red green blue)
$ a=" ${array } "
$ aname=blue
$ [ "$a" == "${a/ $aname /}" ]
$ echo $?

And for one that doesn't exist in the array:

$ aname=yellow
$ [ "$a" == "${a/ $aname /}" ]
$ echo $?

PGScooter
April 20th, 2009, 06:38 PM
odyniec,

would you mind explaining your code please? I do not understand the 2nd and 4th lines of your first code bracket. Thanks

odyniec
April 20th, 2009, 07:07 PM
In this line:

a=" ${array } "
${array } expands to all elements of $array, separated by spaces. A space is also added at the beginning and at the end, making $a equal to " red green blue ". The added spaces are there to address the "green" vs. "greeninsh" issue that Arndt pointed out.

[ "$a" == "${a/ $aname /}" ]
${a/ $aname /} is a bash construct meaning: replace the first occurrence of " $aname " within $a with an empty string.

The whole command does a comparison of $a before and after the replacement. If the two are not equal ($? set to 1), it means there was a replacement, so obviously $aname must be in the array.

jpkotta
April 21st, 2009, 12:24 AM

That's the main reason. Also, it may or may not be slower to call grep, depending on the size of your array and how often you check for membership.