PDA

View Full Version : This sucks...

smartboyathome
April 19th, 2009, 05:41 PM
My MP3 player, an Insignia NS-2v17 2GB Sport, all of a sudden stopped working today for whatever reason. It no longer likes my MicroSD card that I had in it, and I can only use it with the internal memory (too restrictive for me). Anyway, I had it under warranted through Best Buy (my parents bought it for me from there, it was better than nothing ;)), and they said that I have to pay them $10 to get it replaced with an upgraded model since they don't sell mine anymore.

Anyway, my questions: Is this legal? Since it is insured through them, and its features shouldn't they be replacing it with something that does have all the features working?

Wiebelhaus
April 19th, 2009, 05:43 PM
I'd call corporate tomorrow about it.

blithen
April 19th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Well my dad did something similar though it was with a TV and they gave him a brand new plasma 'cause they didn't sell his anymore. For free, so I would complain.

amingv
April 19th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Check their warranty policy, since you agreed to it when you bought the warranty, what you/them can or can't do should be stated there.
Many warranties state that if the device is broken it may be a) replaced, b) exchanged for the same model or c) exchanged for a comparable model. Don't know what bestbuy's policy is though.

pwnst*r
April 19th, 2009, 05:59 PM
My MP3 player, an Insignia NS-2v17 2GB Sport, all of a sudden stopped working today for whatever reason. It no longer likes my MicroSD card that I had in it, and I can only use it with the internal memory (too restrictive for me). Anyway, I had it under warranted through Best Buy (my parents bought it for me from there, it was better than nothing ;)), and they said that I have to pay them $10 to get it replaced with an upgraded model since they don't sell mine anymore.

Anyway, my questions: Is this legal? Since it is insured through them, and its features shouldn't they be replacing it with something that does have all the features working?

that kind of doesn't make sense. you say that the player stopped working and it no longer "likes" your microSD card. have you reformatted that card or tried another known good microSD card?

smartboyathome
April 19th, 2009, 06:18 PM
that kind of doesn't make sense. you say that the player stopped working and it no longer "likes" your microSD card. have you reformatted that card or tried another known good microSD card?

It is a SanDisk 2GB microSD card, so it should work. The only possibility is that the music that I put on the MicroSD is too much for it (I only added 30 songs, so it shouldn't be crashing). Total, on both the internal and external memory, there is probably 250 songs. If it crashes because of that, then I would be surprised, as that shows how low quality the firmware was. I am going to complain to someone, might as well start with the manufacturer.

init1
April 19th, 2009, 07:11 PM
It is a SanDisk 2GB microSD card, so it should work. The only possibility is that the music that I put on the MicroSD is too much for it (I only added 30 songs, so it shouldn't be crashing). Total, on both the internal and external memory, there is probably 250 songs. If it crashes because of that, then I would be surprised, as that shows how low quality the firmware was. I am going to complain to someone, might as well start with the manufacturer.

Have you tried reformating the card? Might just be a corrupted FAT table.

PhoHammer
April 19th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Check their warranty policy, since you agreed to it when you bought the warranty, what you/them can or can't do should be stated there.
Many warranties state that if the device is broken it may be a) replaced, b) exchanged for the same model or c) exchanged for a comparable model. Don't know what bestbuy's policy is though.

The bad thing is that the warranty policy, like most others, was probably 10 pages long and
might have stated things like "product is not to be within 10 miles of a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup or the warranty is void."

And no one has the patience to read a warranty policy before signing it.

0per4t0r
April 19th, 2009, 08:13 PM
One time I had a CD player, and all the sudden it stopped working, and the display screen said "Oops."

I'm not kidding, this actually happened to me.

PhoHammer
April 19th, 2009, 08:58 PM
One time I had a CD player, and all the sudden it stopped working, and the display screen said "Oops."

I'm not kidding, this actually happened to me.

Hahahahaha!!

0per4t0r
April 19th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Hahahahaha!!
It still worked after, though.

Woormy
April 19th, 2009, 09:18 PM
It seems like they should be replacing it with the same model or the closest model still sold. I would ask them what the insurance is for if they're charging you. It doesn't sound very smart of them to possibly alienate a customer over $10.

PhoHammer
April 19th, 2009, 09:20 PM
It still worked after, though.

Well, that's all that matters then!

Muffinabus
April 19th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Yeah, they should be replacing it with a similar model. I don't know though, I believe they've changed their replacement policy recently so I may not know all the finer details.

amingv
April 19th, 2009, 10:15 PM
The bad thing is that the warranty policy, like most others, was probably 10 pages long and
might have stated things like "product is not to be within 10 miles of a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup or the warranty is void."

And no one has the patience to read a warranty policy before signing it.

True that. But it doesn't change the fact that you're bound to it.

lisati
April 19th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Don't know about you guys, but where I live there's consumer protection legislation which requires stores to make an honest effort to put things right with repair, replacement or refund when something doesn't work as well as expected.