PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to load New ubuntu when already have Ubuntu?

fanny cantrell
April 19th, 2009, 05:01 PM
New to Ubuntu. I have 6.10 and have ordered the newest Ubuntu 9.10 and am awaiting arrival. What is the best way to load.

ashmew2
April 19th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Hi there..First of all welcome to the community! :D

Ok..So you're using 6.10 , man thats old..and since you've already requested the 8.10 CDs , you should just do a fresh install. I mean just format your / and /home partitions and wipe em clean. and just install Intrepid Ibex onto your system.

If you need any help installing/configuring the system , just take a look at the Ubuntu Tutorials @ www.psychocats.net

If you dont understand something , just reply back here! :D

Paqman
April 19th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Just pop the LiveCD in, boot from it and go through the install process exactly the same as when you first installed 6.10.

You might want to back up all your personal files and settings that are in your /home. Go to your home folder and press ctrl-H to make all the .directories show up, then copy them onto some kind of external media. Then when you've got the new system installed, copy them back. If you've got multiple user accounts you might need to be careful about file ownerships, but we can help you out with that if it's a problem.

zvacet
April 19th, 2009, 05:22 PM
If information of version you use isnīt type error then you have unsupported version of Ubuntu.If you have any valuable data/files then back them up and do fresh install of Jaunty 9.04.Install it manual way so you can have separate home partition.

Paqman
April 20th, 2009, 08:11 AM
you have unsupported version of Ubuntu.

Judging from the fact that the OP mentioned they had ordered disks (instead of just downloading) i'm guessing that this is probably a machine that's not connected to the net. If that's the case then running an obsolete version isn't really a security risk.

zvacet
April 20th, 2009, 09:17 AM
@ Paqman

Judging from the fact that the OP mentioned they had ordered disks (instead of just downloading) i'm guessing that this is probably a machine that's not connected to the net.

You could be right,but maybe OP want to have original Ubuntu CD!

If that's the case then running an obsolete version isn't really a security risk.

Agree.