PDA

View Full Version : Introduction....

J-B
January 5th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Hi all. Veteran user of Windows here, and I just made the switch. Well, technically I have my PC dual-booted right now with WinXP and Ubuntu, but anyway...My name's Josh, and I'll be hanging around trying to soak up the knowledge of the boards.

So far I am loving Ubuntu. Definitely the most user/noob friendly distro I've personally tried. I'm still a total and complete noob to the linux scene though, so I expect I'll be filling up these forums with questions over the next several (years) weeks, just getting the hang of the basics.

So thanks in advance to all those that will be helping me learn!

Jaygo333
January 5th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Hi all. Veteran user of Windows here, and I just made the switch. Well, technically I have my PC dual-booted right now with WinXP and Ubuntu, but anyway...My name's Josh, and I'll be hanging around trying to soak up the knowledge of the boards.

So far I am loving Ubuntu. Definitely the most user/noob friendly distro I've personally tried. I'm still a total and complete noob to the linux scene though, so I expect I'll be filling up these forums with questions over the next several (years) weeks, just getting the hang of the basics.

So thanks in advance to all those that will be helping me learn!

You are welcome. Ready to Learn and Teach.1?1
Uber n00b here.1?1 I try and copy all the other ubuntu guru's out there. Ask them. They are the most friendly and explain in details. Have fixed a lot from them.

:rolleyes:h34r: Jaygo333 :rolleyes:h34r:

Derek Djons
January 5th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Hi Josh,

This forum is already creeping with many solved issues and questions. If things get blurry just throw some input in the 'search' and check out the topics. A lot of questions and problems I had were solved that way. Also Ubuntu's wikipedia is a must-read. A lot of information and knowledge just itching to be checked. :)

J-B
January 5th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the welcome gents!

poofyhairguy
January 6th, 2006, 02:20 AM
Welcome and check out Automatix.

J-B
January 6th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Thanks, what's automatix?

Iandefor
January 6th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Thanks, what's automatix? It installs a bunch of utilities and files, normally excluded from Ubuntu, that a user might find useful. For instance, adding DVD playback ability, the ability to play back Windows Media Video files, as well as a bunch of other things which flee from memory at the moment. Check this link out for more details: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=66563

J-B
January 6th, 2006, 10:19 AM
Looks very cool, thanks for the info. Alas, I'm using an AMD 64 x2 chip which apparently isn't supported. Oh well. thanks again!