PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation Disk I/O Error

Tranquil_Loon
April 19th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Hello I am new here and I am wishing to try out Ubuntu but I am having some trouble installing it. I had first downloaded an ISO then burned it but when installing it gave me errors so then I tried burning another disk then when checking its integreity it also says Disk I/O Error. Any help would be appreciated for I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

drinkglory
April 19th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Hi
I just did this just let it run through after all the i/o errors you will then go to the desk top.

Tranquil_Loon
April 19th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Hi I just did this just let it run through after all the i/o errors you will then go to the desk top.

Well after the errors it would say fail then a promt came up with "$@ubuntu:~$" displayed and I wasn't sure where to go from there. Maybe I just had to log in or something?

drinkglory
April 19th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Sorry that is not the same as what happen to ours. Ours had a long delay then started at the desktop. I just did not expect with 4 i/o errors it would continue.

Terrance

Tranquil_Loon
April 19th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Oh no this has a lot of errors haha. I'm going to try downloading maybe another copy. But thanks for the reply. :D

Copernicus1234
April 19th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Not a normal behavior at all. The Ubuntu installation should be point and click. I guess it doesnt like your hardware much. :)

Tranquil_Loon
April 19th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Oh well I guess I will forever be a slave to windows. :P I really wanted to try Ubuntu though it looks cool. 8-)

Hellstudios
April 19th, 2009, 06:02 PM
try burning the disk at the slowest speed possible this time.

Tranquil_Loon
April 19th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Well my CD Writer is only 8X max. :P I do not have a DVD burner either and that has seemed to have worked for people too.

wirechief
April 19th, 2009, 06:18 PM
I always check the download with md5sum to make sure its not corrupt (crap happens)
additionally as a precaution do the integrity check upon booting the media.
I am not sure if there is a problem with CD media and the latest release of
Jaunty (running out of room on a CD) I have been using DVD media it is much better and you are less likely to have media issues.

If you end up with the shell prompt $ try startx
I have to do it when i boot from my usb stick.

Tranquil_Loon
April 19th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Well I downloaded a new copy and used md5sum and its okay as was the old one. Now I'm burning it at 2X so will see what happens.

Tranquil_Loon
April 19th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Well the CD seems to work now however at the install at 56% the screen goes black then gives an error about trying to copy to the disk. I can go into the live CD but cannot finish installing ubuntu. Any ideas?

wirechief
April 19th, 2009, 10:57 PM
without more information all i can offer is a guess.
I would use the F6 and select noapic (i have had that problem with my emachine) but really need more information as to the make model you are
trying to put this on. If you cannot boot the live chances are you will not
be able to install either :(

Tranquil_Loon
April 19th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Well I made it to Live CD but the install will not finish.

These are my system specs.

Athlon XP 2500 CPU
GA 7n400-L Mainboard
1 GB DDR RAM
Maxtor 40gb IDE hard drive
52x DVD Rom
CD RW

I also tried installing it from within windows xp but then it started downloading the entire ISO again and when finished it just looped and started doing it again.

So I'm not really sure what to do. I plan on getting a new computer maybe next week or so I suppose I could put it on there. But I wanted to try it on here first and see how everything works and wanted to make this a Linux box to play with too.

wirechief
April 20th, 2009, 12:30 AM
from the live session can you do a fdisk - l and paste it ? then i can see
a little bit of what you have.

wirechief
April 20th, 2009, 12:31 AM
I am on the irc for #ubuntu+1 on freenode if you can use a chat client
it might speed things up a bit rather than a thread ;)

wirechief

Tranquil_Loon
April 21st, 2009, 12:43 AM
from the live session can you do a fdisk - l and paste it ? then i can see a little bit of what you have.

I have pretty much given up on it but thanks for the help. :) It seems like it just doesn't want to work. :P Maybe I will try it again when I get a new computer.

lisati
April 21st, 2009, 12:51 AM
Dirty disk or dirty lens? I was getting I/O errors during a fresh install of 9.04 on one of my laptops this morning and it turned out that there was a bit of last night's dinner stuck to the disk. I cleaned the disk and things went brilliantly.

Tranquil_Loon
April 21st, 2009, 12:55 AM
Dirty disk or dirty lens? I was getting I/O errors during a fresh install of 9.04 on one of my laptops this morning and it turned out that there was a bit of last night's dinner stuck to the disk. I cleaned the disk and things went brilliantly.

Well it doesn't get I/O errors now just while installing it has an error half way through then it stops. So I don't know and really don't want to put anymore time into it. :P