PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu & GNOME?

otilop
April 19th, 2009, 03:50 PM
I feel screwed. Software update says to allow new changes so I allow the download. Now the "GNOME" wasnt installed correctly and I cant get on the internet. Dell says they dont support ubuntu. I cant find a way to restore, so I'm screwed. Any one have any suggestions? Thanks.

Elegia
April 19th, 2009, 04:23 PM
You'll have to be a bit more specific than that. What exactly is wrong with GNOME and what happens when you try to connect to the internet? Is it wireless? Does the network manager indicates a connection? ...

otilop
April 19th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Thx. The computer boots up fine. It would always seek a wireless connection on its own. Now it doesnt seek for it. Network manager doesnt help when I've tried to use it. A small box on the lowewr right hand corner says "GNOME" power manager has not been installed correctly. Is there a way to restore? Thanks a lot.

emptybox
April 19th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Gnome is just the name of the desktop environment.

Gnome Power Manager is the program that deals with suspending and hibernating the computer, and shutting down the screen after a period of inactivity, among other things.
Not sure how it impacts on wireless networking though?

If it was a kernel upgrade that took place, you could try booting into the previous version, if it is still in Grub and see if the wireless works in that.

gnome-power-manager can be installed through Synaptic Package Manager (or the terminal).You could have a look in there and try uninstalling and then reinstalling it and see if it works then?

otilop
April 19th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Thx Emptybox. I just got back on via my broadband and will refinstall. Thanks a lot.

Wiebelhaus
April 19th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Dell does support it , you called the wrong number , Unfortunately the number is on my tech bench and I'm at home. Sorry I can't give it to you.