PDA

View Full Version : Disk space requirments help

fabiola
April 19th, 2009, 03:15 PM
I am in possession of a Vista laptop (not mine) and find it ridiculous the amount of disk space it takes up.

The file system has no large files/folders that are stored so why does it take up almost 30GB? :(

mamamia88
April 19th, 2009, 03:22 PM
do a search for windows.old see if windows was reinstalled might have some old files left over from last install.

3rdalbum
April 19th, 2009, 04:34 PM
You're running it with only a gigabyte of RAM, so three of those missing gigabytes are probably being taken up by your pagefile :-P

I'm not sure how Windows works, but there might be some system restore images stored? And have you tried using the Disk Cleanup program?

LiamWilson
April 19th, 2009, 04:55 PM
WHOO! The Beatles Albums!

Is it an upgrade, or a fresh install?

=^,^=
April 19th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I am in possession of a Vista laptop (not mine) and find it ridiculous the amount of disk space it takes up.

The file system has no large files/folders that are stored so why does it take up almost 30GB? :(

Why is the top of your vista start orb missing?

fabiola
April 19th, 2009, 05:06 PM

I think it's something to do with the screen capture program,

=^,^=
April 19th, 2009, 05:08 PM
I think it's something to do with the screen capture program,

Why didnt you just use print screen?

Paqman
April 19th, 2009, 05:11 PM
I assume you've already run the Windows disk cleanup doodad?

fabiola
April 19th, 2009, 05:12 PM
I found out that it is a reinstall from the original OEM disk but don't understan why that would increase disk space

fabiola
April 19th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Why didnt you just use print screen?

It's a laptop and for some reason i carnt get that to work out

=^,^=
April 19th, 2009, 05:15 PM
It's a laptop and for some reason i carnt get that to work out

Lol ok! ^,^

LiamWilson
April 19th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Hahaha, with all the crap that OEM's stuff on to thier install CD's, it's no wonder why it's taking up so much space! :P

Maybe it's the documents that he has on it?

smartboyathome
April 19th, 2009, 06:24 PM

Because the OP isn't running Aero (the compositor). The top of the start orb only shows up when using Vista Aero (from my experience) because it requires compositing.

=^,^=
April 19th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Because the OP isn't running Aero (the compositor). The top of the start orb only shows up when using Vista Aero (from my experience) because it requires compositing.

http://www.istartedsomething.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/wmp3.jpg

fabiola
April 19th, 2009, 06:36 PM

The full orb is showing but just not in the screenshot pic

fabiola
April 19th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Hahaha, with all the crap that OEM's stuff on to thier install CD's, it's no wonder why it's taking up so much space! :P

Maybe it's the documents that he has on it?

The folders are empty,

At one point Autodesk 3d max was installed that requires directX so it may have something to do with that

PhoHammer
April 19th, 2009, 07:24 PM
You're running it with only a gigabyte of RAM, so three of those missing gigabytes are probably being taken up by your pagefile :-P

I'm not sure how Windows works, but there might be some system restore images stored? And have you tried using the Disk Cleanup program?

You may be talking about the same thing, but I remember something about Vista using an
additional 1 (maybe it was 3?) GB to enable hibernation...

Regardless, I wouldn't think the OS would take up 30 GB!!