PDA

View Full Version : Linux Haters Magazine???

RichardLinx
April 19th, 2009, 02:33 PM
I like to hear both sides of the argument, and when I first saw this I thought it was down right stupid. But I've been going through it and it's actually one of the best online 'magazines' I've ever read. I came across it on Digg.com - http://digg.com/d1nj7M

You have to download the magazine from that site. At first I thought it would be terrible because It's from some "unimpressive" (for lack of a better word) forum. But judging from the magazine these people actually know what there talking about - well to a certain extent anyway.

Just posted this because I thought some people might get a good laugh out of it, and maybe even be enlightened to a certain extent.

I was gonna quote the first 'article' which I think is pretty funny but It doesn't seem to want to copy 'right' (If you get me?). So I took a screen of it instead since I doubt many will bother reading it.

EDIT: Whoa! Sorry I didn't know the Image would be that big! Sorry, I'll figure out how to resize it or something..

EDIT 2: Here's a link to the image if you care... http://img257.imageshack.us/my.php?image=linuxhate.png

NE Key
April 19th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Good spoof.

I note they use Apache for their server.

SuperSonic4
April 19th, 2009, 02:36 PM
It was always possible that someone would use GNU/Linux for that. He has a point about the config file setup - while learning them makes your system better they shouldn't have to be tweaked for it to work well. Many people don't care about what's under the hood - it's how it looks on the outside.

However, the 'definitions' on the right is FUD

RichardLinx
April 19th, 2009, 02:42 PM
It says something about the failures of "LaRoza", I looked him up on google and he's had interviews and everything but I've never heard of him until now... Was he an Ubuntu head developer or something?

Edit: Just found this: http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=266234 .. Erm, is this the same person they're talking about? Or am I just picking out random users from a forum?

xir_
April 19th, 2009, 03:14 PM
i don't disagree with this guys opinion, he's very welcome to it and is a good way for a community to look on itself. But the chap expresses himself like a ignorant cretin and for that he should be ignored.

next please

amingv
April 19th, 2009, 03:20 PM
It says something about the failures of "LaRoza", I looked him up on google and he's had interviews and everything but I've never heard of him until now... Was he an Ubuntu head developer or something?

Edit: Just found this: http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=266234 .. Erm, is this the same person they're talking about? Or am I just picking out random users from a forum?

That's laroza alright, a very respected entity by many. The queen-sama has my highest respect, even after what happened.

RichardLinx
April 19th, 2009, 03:31 PM
That's laroza alright, a very respected entity by many. The queen-sama has my highest respect, even after what happened.

Lol, what?

i don't disagree with this guys opinion, he's very welcome to it and is a good way for a community to look on itself. But the chap expresses himself like a ignorant cretin and for that he should be ignored.

next please

The magazine became a little to vulgar for my taste so I stopped reading, I may end up finishing it in the future but right now I don't care to read something written in such bad taste. The first article was great but it seemed to become more and more primitive as it went along. Which is a shame because I actually kind of liked it.
The Windows 7 preview was actually pretty good. Simple and quick but a little stupid in some places.

Paqman
April 19th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Good spoof.

Of course they do.

You don't have to agree with their opinions to see that they actually know their subject matter pretty well. They're passionate about open source.

I think they're funny guys, hope they keep spewing out their comedy vitriol. Because some of it is damn close to the mark.

amingv
April 19th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Lol, what?

Heh, it's just a little joke.

But the rest is serious, not only LaRoza but lots of other brilliant minds seem to have left the forums in my absence... It really feels in some areas.

Tomosaur
April 19th, 2009, 03:56 PM
The great thing about Linux Haters is that they're pretty much right on the money. They may not be very professional or 'nice' about how they point out Linux' problems, but they are mostly correct. Linux has a lot of problems - but I prefer it over Windows anyway.

RichardLinx
April 19th, 2009, 04:11 PM
I only just realized this but I'm positive that most the hate goes towards Ubuntu and the community in general. At least there is some praise for openSUSE. :)
I just read the last page "a few words from earths" - utterly pointless.

sanderella
April 19th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Good spoof.;) Very male-oriented, though.:(

PhoHammer
April 19th, 2009, 07:40 PM
The great thing about Linux Haters is that they're pretty much right on the money. They may not be very professional or 'nice' about how they point out Linux' problems, but they are mostly correct. Linux has a lot of problems - but I prefer it over Windows anyway.

Word. Listening to the haters that have legitimate arguments is vital to the continued
development of GNU/Linux. Having someone there to tell you what is messed up
will only make FOSS better.

PhoHammer
April 19th, 2009, 07:42 PM

What happened?

DeadSuperHero
April 19th, 2009, 07:45 PM
I love the PulseAudio article. I've had so many problems trying to use a decent recording app.

Apparently, their next issue will be BSD-oriented, so that'll be interesting.

0per4t0r
April 19th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Burn it before it spreads! Fire fire fire!

(Sorry, Pyro moment)

Anyway, it will only make linux better (as stated before)

kevdog
April 19th, 2009, 10:18 PM
I love the sarcasm in the article. Ahh the good old days of the backyard...very nostalgic for me!

blastus
April 19th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Apparently, their next issue will be BSD-oriented, so that'll be interesting.

BSD is not Linux.

DeadSuperHero
April 19th, 2009, 11:25 PM
BSD is not Linux.

I meant praising BSD, not blasting it. I've talked with the moderators over there, apparently they're doing an extensive review of FreeBSD and PC-BSD, with demonstrations and everything.

Neat.

inxygnuu
April 19th, 2009, 11:47 PM
They do have their good points, but I have to say, the entire site scares me. The editor is very violent. I haven't even seen that much violence even from the biggest linux fanboys. There are also some other things that i saw, which were extremely offensive (not going to mention them;))

Keyper7
April 19th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Forget about the rudeness. If the contents of this magazine are 1% as right-on-the-spot as the posts from Linux Hater's Blog were, I'll not only read it and support it, but also recommend it to every Linux user and developer I know.

Giant Speck
April 19th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Satire is pretty funny, especially when people don't see that it is satire and start getting really angry about it.

kevdog
April 20th, 2009, 12:42 AM
The author or creator of linuxsux.org has actually responded previously in these very forums many times in the past. He may well still be doing it. Although the tone of the forums and magazine may seem extreme, his posts here in the forums are actually well moderated and expose a number of salient points which are actually taken to the extreme. I actually find the points quite funny, and look at them more as comedy, with a twist of truth thrown in to keep the diatribe interesting.

DeadSuperHero
April 20th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Forget about the rudeness. If the contents of this magazine are 1% as right-on-the-spot as the posts from Linux Hater's Blog were, I'll not only read it and support it, but also recommend it to every Linux user and developer I know.

Quote of the Day right there. I can now die a happy man.

pbpersson
April 20th, 2009, 12:58 AM
What happened?

No one will want to talk about it here. Perhaps if you Googled LaRoza you might find some answers.

RichardLinx
April 20th, 2009, 01:17 AM
Word. Listening to the haters that have legitimate arguments is vital to the continued
development of GNU/Linux. Having someone there to tell you what is messed up
will only make FOSS better.

But doesn't a bug report do the exact same thing? I know it's good to have flaws pointed out but most the content in the magazine just made fun of Linux users in general.I enjoyed most of it none the less.

racerraul
April 20th, 2009, 03:20 AM
I just read some of the posts in that blog... and I am laughing my @ss off...

It's definitely funny... but man does he know which toes to stomp on...

doorknob60
April 20th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Lawl they have a magazine now? XD Ive been on AIM with the creator, he's actually a pretty nice guy, he just hates Linux zealots. He hates people that think Linux is totally perfect and better than everything else (like Apple users do) and get annoying about it, and makes fun of it half jokingly. I find it quite funny.

DeadSuperHero
April 20th, 2009, 05:17 AM
Hey now, someone had to do it.

sekinto
April 20th, 2009, 06:25 AM
I loved it! It is true, many people want to cover their ears when they hear Linux critisism even though there are some very serious problems with Linux. Yes, I am a Linux user.

saulgoode
April 20th, 2009, 06:57 AM
I like to hear both sides of the argument, and when I first saw this I thought it was down right stupid.
Like they say, your first thought is your best thought.

crl0901
April 20th, 2009, 07:15 AM
I think it's pretty funny actually. I don't do anything because other people do it, and conversely, I don't care what anyone thinks about what I do. I do things for me, and me only, so whatever OS I choose to use is purely based on my own needs and wants. I would liken this to someone not liking a band because their fan base consist of whiny emo teenagers.

ade234uk
April 20th, 2009, 08:56 AM
I think it's really funny, or am I just weird.

mkendall
April 20th, 2009, 10:55 AM
I think it's really funny, or am I just weird.

The one does not preclude the other.

XubuRoxMySox
April 20th, 2009, 01:00 PM
I would liken this to someone not liking a band because their fan base consist of whiny emo teenagers.

Me too. And maybe a disgruntled former member of "the Ubuntu community" who lost an argument or didn't get his way or something. Sour grapes.

Prob'ly a little of both.

-Robin

betrunkenaffe
April 20th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Good magazine, I have to agree that it would be nice to edit the profanities out of their mag. It's more acceptable on forums due to the unpolished/unprofessional nature of open forums however official documentation (mags included) shouldn't really have that in it.

Personally it loses some credence because of the above issue, that being said, blind zealots are never good.

fatality_uk
April 20th, 2009, 01:21 PM
*yawn*

hesjnet
April 20th, 2009, 01:27 PM
As long as more people are talking about linux, I'm happy. Everybody is entitled to have an opinion, even if it is based on jibberish.

linsux
April 20th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Good magazine, I have to agree that it would be nice to edit the profanities out of their mag. It's more acceptable on forums due to the unpolished/unprofessional nature of open forums however official documentation (mags included) shouldn't really have that in it.

Personally it loses some credence because of the above issue, that being said, blind zealots are never good.

We don't believe in censorship.

Paqman
April 20th, 2009, 05:38 PM

Technically it's not censorship if you do it yourself, it's just an editorial decision.

But I get ya.

kevdog
April 20th, 2009, 05:58 PM

Can we ban this user or at least censor him?

Giant Speck
April 20th, 2009, 06:16 PM

You could, but he wouldn't believe it's happening.

lukjad
April 20th, 2009, 06:21 PM
I like to hear both sides of the argument[SNIP]
I strongly dislike those guys. Which is why I don't go to their site. So I have to opinion on this particular issue, but I'll bet I don't like it.

linsux
April 20th, 2009, 07:02 PM

They haven't banned me, but they have censored me already :(

sadicote
April 20th, 2009, 07:11 PM
They haven't banned me, but they have censored me already :(

More power to you, friend!..especially if you can make us 'gung-ho' new users, take a good look at ourselves.;)

swoll1980
April 20th, 2009, 07:19 PM

I've been wondering what happened to LaRoza. I saw that his/her beans are burnt, but couldn't imagine him/her doing anything to deserve such a thing. Does anyone know what happened to him/her?

linsux
April 20th, 2009, 07:22 PM
I've been wondering what happened to LaRoza. I saw that his/her beans are burnt, but couldn't imagine him/her doing anything to deserve such a thing. Does anyone know what happened to him/her?

http://linsux.org/index.php?topic=780.msg6227#msg6227

I've spoken to him several times, nice guy.

Giant Speck
April 20th, 2009, 07:25 PM

Aw, you linked directly to my post! :oops:

linsux
April 20th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Aw, you linked directly to my post! :oops:

You're Marvin?

Giant Speck
April 20th, 2009, 07:28 PM
You're Marvin?

Yep. :)

I believe I posted my UF username in the thread over there.

linsux
April 20th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Yep.. :)

I believe I posted my UF username in the thread over there.

Never noticed it. Btw, the avatar you use at our site is better than the one you use here :\

swoll1980
April 20th, 2009, 07:32 PM

Wow, I would have never imagined it was something like that.

linsux
April 20th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Wow, I would have never imagined it was something like that.

UF blew it up to be a little more than it was, that I know. There's a reason why it's rarely discussed here.

(this thread is getting off-topic)

People are responding quite well to the new magazine, and next months issue is looking great.

swoll1980
April 20th, 2009, 07:38 PM
People are responding quite well to the new magazine, and next months issue is looking great.

Yeah it's a riot. I E-mailed to a couple friends. Are you the "Linsux" guy?

DeadSuperHero
April 20th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Yeah it's a riot. I E-mailed to a couple friends. Are you the "Linsux" guy?
He would be the admin.

But I wrote most of the magazine.

swoll1980
April 20th, 2009, 09:34 PM
He would be the admin.

Good job! Funny stuff. When I first saw that linsux user on the forum I thought he was a troll.

linsux
April 20th, 2009, 09:50 PM
He would be the admin.

But it has my photography! Just don't ask what stuff ;)

sekinto
April 20th, 2009, 11:02 PM
@Linsux:

I think it needs more articles like the PulseAudio one which actually make sense and point out big problems with Linux, and less ones like the A Few Words From Earths. That's just my opinion. Anyway, all critisism is good critism. Thanks for the magazine.

linsux
April 20th, 2009, 11:14 PM
@Linsux:

I think it needs more articles like the PulseAudio one which actually make sense and point out big problems with Linux, and less ones like the A Few Words From Earths. That's just my opinion. Anyway, all critisism is good critism. Thanks for the magazine.

Thank you for the feedback, I'm sure Mr. Psychopath will give that a thought. Though, my guess is that things like that will continue to find their way in there, because satire and vulgarity is a big part of what we do.

ranch hand
May 23rd, 2009, 06:56 PM
Well, just "grazing" and found this thread and found it entertaining.

I am shocked that I never noticed anything about Laroza. Probably just brain dead.

I am sorry tha Laroza is gone. Was a big help to me a couple of times when I first started using Ubuntu.

dspari1
May 23rd, 2009, 09:26 PM
Good spoof.

The magazine says they're switching to FreeBSD. After read the magazine, I think it was pretty funny in a good way. It seems like a satire than anything serious.

:popcorn:

Giant Speck
May 23rd, 2009, 09:38 PM
The magazine says they're switching to FreeBSD.

The switch has already occurred. I think Trojan did it last month or so. I don't really remember.

linsux
May 23rd, 2009, 10:04 PM
The switch has already occurred. I think Trojan did it last month or so. I don't really remember.

It was finished in March I believe.