PDA

View Full Version : Best MP3 Player (External Hardware Device) for Ubuntu?

frogotronic
April 19th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Hi All,

My iPOD Nano finally died - will co$t way too much to fix. Bought it when I was a windows user. I'd like to switch to a non-Apple device. Something that will sync well with Rhythmbox, or Amarok, etc. Anyone have a recommendation?

I'm looking just for audio, not video and maybe a radio would also be nice.

- CH :popcorn:

Greg
April 19th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Cowon makes music players that have Linux support... the Sansa Fuze is also supported in Linux.

gnomeuser
April 19th, 2009, 02:27 PM
I just bought the Sansa Fuze and I love it. It does everything I care about and it supports open standards and formats (uses MTP and supports Ogg Vorbis + FLAC). It's slick, lightweight and the controls are very nice.

Definitely recommended.

pwnst*r
April 19th, 2009, 03:06 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1109094&highlight=cowon

Paqman
April 19th, 2009, 03:27 PM
The Creative Zens will sync quite happily with Amarok. You'll need iriverter and gnomad2 to re-encode and transfer video, repectively.

Vostrocity
April 20th, 2009, 05:30 AM
I second the Sansa Fuze. Small and slick. Has mSD most importantly (imo). 4GB for $50 on sale.

Personally, I'm using the discontinued but still available Sansa e-series (e260) until I figure out what I want next. It definitely is old, like 1st gen Nano old. And the quality is half as good as SanDisk's new line (Clip, Fuze, View). I got it $50 4GB quite a while ago. If you just want a simple player, the Fuze is obviously better as it's the replacement for the e-series. But the reason I got it was because of the RockBox custom firmware. It's like Dark_Alex to the PSP. I mean, who knew you could run Doom on a tiny little mp3 player. :)

zipperback
April 20th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Before I got my ipod nano 16gb, I had a Creative Labs MuVo v100 1GB mp3 player, and then about 6 months later I bought another one (MuVo) becuase I wanted something with more storage capacity.

The MuVo v100 is a usb device and mounts up automatically as a standard flash drive, so you can easily drag and drop your music on to your player, or you can use an application to manage your music such as Rhythmbox.

8gb ipod nano runs about $130.00 US Dollars
16gb ipod nano runs about $175.00 US Dollars
2gb creative muvo, if you can find one, will run you about $25.00 to $35.00 US Dollars from ebay.com, or if you have a WalMart in your area, you can probably get a brand new one for about $40.00 or so.

Good Luck,

- zipperback
:popcorn:

medic2000
April 20th, 2009, 10:23 AM
I too going to buy a Sansa Fuze 8 GB + 8GB Micro SDHC card within a few days.Great sound quality,Linux,OGG and FLAC support.

Total cost: Lower than 100$

Vostrocity
April 21st, 2009, 07:29 AM
Before I got my ipod nano 16gb, I had a Creative Labs MuVo v100 1GB mp3 player, and then about 6 months later I bought another one (MuVo) becuase I wanted something with more storage capacity.

The MuVo v100 is a usb device and mounts up automatically as a standard flash drive, so you can easily drag and drop your music on to your player, or you can use an application to manage your music such as Rhythmbox.

8gb ipod nano runs about $130.00 US Dollars
16gb ipod nano runs about $175.00 US Dollars
2gb creative muvo, if you can find one, will run you about $25.00 to $35.00 US Dollars from ebay.com, or if you have a WalMart in your area, you can probably get a brand new one for about $40.00 or so.

Good Luck,

- zipperback
:popcorn:

Nanos are kinda blah in the first place. (I have a 2nd gen) And any iPod + Linux is more bleh. The Muvo's pretty good if you really only want audio. But I personally can't live without a screen.

bobbocanfly
April 21st, 2009, 07:46 AM
I'm still using a Sandisk Sansa e280, which has been working fine but I had some problems with it in Jaunty (probably as it's so old now). I'd definitely go with Sandisk/Sansa again. Had nothing but good experiences with them so far. When my e280 breaks, I'll definitely look at getting a Sansa Fuze.

cb951303
April 21st, 2009, 08:16 AM
+1 for sansa fuze or sansa view
they are sturdy and most importantly they have microSDHC slot.

If you need higher play time Cowon iAudio 7 is unbeatable from what I hear. It has 4 and 8 GB options. It supports OGG and FLAC too.

autopapa
April 30th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Hi,

I also bought the sansa fuze and Iḿ not so happy. It is very hard to see it recognized by ubuntu 8.10, it is simply not working. Even under windows XP, the sansa fuze fails to be recognized. I tried several recommendations, but no succes yet. Thus I cannot get any music on it...

Autopapa

cb951303
April 30th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Hi,

I also bought the sansa fuze and Iḿ not so happy. It is very hard to see it recognized by ubuntu 8.10, it is simply not working. Even under windows XP, the sansa fuze fails to be recognized. I tried several recommendations, but no succes yet. Thus I cannot get any music on it...

Autopapa

did you try to upgrade the firmware. latest firmware comes with a standard communication protocol (that I don't remember the name) whereas the old one has a proprietary MS protocol. that would help a lot.