PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Install Question

doktormiod
April 19th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Hi, I installed a few linux distros before but recently i've been having some probles with hard drive so I decided to ask here for some help since I have absolutely no knowledge about this stuff (partitons, logical, primary, extended and so on... :P)
About 2 months ago I formatted entire disk and installed win xp. Than problems started. In xp installer I divided disk into 2 partitions (c,d) and it wouldn't install on C(i have no idea why) so i left it unused and continued with D. Later when a tried to merge these partitions it wouldn't boot (no bootloader found or sth like this). What's interesting, windows partition(d) was intact but after installing linux grub didn't my xp :/. Eventually i formatted everything once again, and installed xp on D like i did before. Now my disk looks like that(http://img411.imageshack.us/my.php?image=beztytuu1xvw.png).
I would be glad if someone could take a look and say if it's safe to install linux on C(/home) and Unallocated space (root). I have no idea what this 'extended', 'primary'... mean, maybe on some i can't install OS or sth :/. By 'safe' i mean there won't be any problems with running windows.

zvacet
April 19th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Yes,you can install Ubuntu on the C partition.During install change format from NTFS to Ext3,because that is default Ubuntu format.Extend your D to the unallocated space.Then shrink D partition from left to right,so that unallocated space come between C and D.Then you can extend your C and then install Ubuntu.I will install it manual way so that is possible to have home on separate partition.I donīt know if you can do this things with Paragon and if you can not download Gparted live Cd. (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/)

doktormiod
April 19th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the answer, but is it fine if i will leave partition D as it is and let it be between C(home) and unallocated space(root)?
Last time i tried to merge D and unallocated space windows stopped booting :/

zvacet
April 19th, 2009, 01:52 PM
You should be able to merge partition with unallocated space( because unallocated space is free space not a partition.).I did it with Gparted and I donīt have any experience with Paragon.About leaving partitiond as they are I think you will not have problem.reason I suggested you to merge aprtition and unallocated space is that 21GB is to much for root.But that will not hurt.In that case put home partition on C and formar both (root and home) as ext3.Small part of C you will dedicated to swap( depends of your ram but I donīt you will need more then 1-2GB).

doktormiod
April 19th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Thanks, last time i had 23 gb for root and it was more than enough :-)