PDA

View Full Version : Adobe applications - any plans for linux versions?

Turin Turambar
January 5th, 2006, 07:57 PM
I used Ubuntu 5.04 for couple months, but then I had to go back to Windows XP, because I absolutely needed Photoshop & Indesign. Does anyone know why are they still reluctant to port their software to linux?

I still have linux partition on my PC, but I rarely use it nowdays. I simply find XP much faster than Ubuntu. I don't know why though - both Win & Ubuntu are well tweaked. With different memory usage, no swap or registry items I expected Linux to be much more faster...

Still, Ubuntu boards are the best of all! Greatest community - always someone kind, willing to help you. Thanks girls & guys! :)

Nomearod
January 5th, 2006, 07:59 PM
I think that CrossOver can emulate Photoshop. If you want to know more check this site:

http://www.codeweavers.com/

Lord Illidan
January 5th, 2006, 08:05 PM
I used Ubuntu 5.04 for couple months, but then I had to go back to Windows XP, because I absolutely needed Photoshop & Indesign. Does anyone know why are they still reluctant to port their software to linux?

I still have linux partition on my PC, but I rarely use it nowdays. I simply find XP much faster than Ubuntu. I don't know why though - both Win & Ubuntu are well tweaked. With different memory usage, no swap or registry items I expected Linux to be much more faster...

Still, Ubuntu boards are the best of all! Greatest community - always someone kind, willing to help you. Thanks girls & guys! :)

Nice name, btw. I see you have read the Silmarillion.. Great book.
Have you used Breezy? It is faster than Hoary. Also, I think you'll find KDE better than GNOME, just my opinion.
About their programs, I don't think they are going to release native versions of their heavyweights anytime soon. However you can always use them in Crossover office. You have to pay for it, but initially you can use their 30 days no holds barred trial version. I am using it atm, and IE 6 and MS Office 2003 both work.

Derek Djons
January 5th, 2006, 08:39 PM
From what I know you don't want to be emulating heavy applications such as Photoshop or inDesign. Emulating lite / small applications is one thing but applying kb's to mb's of effects on a photo of 1600x1200 won't be fast... it won't be fast at all.

If you want to stick for the upcoming years to Unix based OS and Photoshop than maybe buying a Apple Mac Mini isn't such a bad investment.

Stormy Eyes
January 5th, 2006, 08:46 PM

If Adobe changed its mind, the news would be all over Slashdot. I haven't seen anything of the kind.

FLeiXiuS
January 5th, 2006, 09:03 PM
If Adobe changed its mind, the news would be all over Slashdot. I haven't seen anything of the kind.

Agreed!

I know most users who want several adobe apps running simultaniously really consider using a Virtual Machine. It'll take a little more resources but the quality outcome is FANTASTIC!

Turin Turambar
January 5th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Well, as Derek already said, Photoshop CS2 is pretty heavy application that needs all possible resources in order to run smooth when editing large pictures. So, emulation is not possible here. Oh well, I'll stick to WinXP for now...

And I guess I'll wait for next Ubuntu release prior to upgrading Hoary.

Thanks Lord Illidan! Silmarillion is indeed the great book. :) Actually, I also read "Unfinished tales". There you can find almost the entire legend about Turin Turambar and his family (Narn I hin hurin) from the very beginning. A must read!

Lord Illidan
January 5th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Well, as Derek already said, Photoshop CS2 is pretty heavy application that needs all possible resources in order to run smooth when editing large pictures. So, emulation is not possible here. Oh well, I'll stick to WinXP for now...

And I guess I'll wait for next Ubuntu release prior to upgrading Hoary.

Thanks Lord Illidan! Silmarillion is indeed the great book. :) Actually, I also read "Unfinished tales". There you can find almost the entire legend about Turin Turambar and his family (Narn I hin hurin) from the very beginning. A must read!

I love Unfinished Tales too, especially the tale of Tuor and his coming to Gondolin!! Have you read the Book of Lost Legends? The Fall of Gondolin is great!! Have you been to the Lotr Plaza by any chance?

SteelValor
January 5th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Adobe bought Macromedia and MM does develop for Linux so in the long run I think that we will see the Adobe/MM line released for Linux, but they won't be free that's for damn sure.

Lord Illidan
January 5th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Not entirely unexpected. In the real world, programmers have to make a living from software. I can live with that, just as long as there are no nasty DRM features built in, hehe..

I wish they would release Flash studio for linux.

poofyhairguy
January 6th, 2006, 02:10 AM
From what I know you don't want to be emulating heavy applications such as Photoshop or inDesign. Emulating lite / small applications is one thing but applying kb's to mb's of effects on a photo of 1600x1200 won't be fast... it won't be fast at all.

WINE and Crossover are not emulators. Wine's name stands for:

"Wine Is Not a Emulator"

It runs the code at native speed. Basically its an incredible hack that morphs Linux into Windows for that program (to some extent).

The IE on my Linux box ran faster than the IE on my Windows side amazingly.

And using WINE with Photoshop is not that bad. Disney originally pushed WINE to be able to do that because they wanted that set-up.

That said, neither Crossover or Wine supports the newest versions of Adobe apps. And they don't run perfectly. So if you really need these things Linux might not be the best choice for you....

poofyhairguy
January 6th, 2006, 02:15 AM

Money. They don 't think it will make them enough money. They would do it in a second if they think it would.

Unlike the other minority (OSX users) us Linux people are not know for our dedication to pay for software. I sometimes think the only reason they made a Linux PDF reader was to be able to say "Its on all major platforms! PDF is the magical bridge" to big businesses.

When do I think we will get...say...Photoshop? Simple- when the GIMP is better. When Adobe is faced with many of its customers switching to Linux to get the Gimp (yeah I know it has a Windows version, but its not as "native") it will react with another "too little, too late" and make a port.

In case you all did not know...Adobe is not the smartest or nicest software company out there!

Turin Turambar
January 6th, 2006, 03:45 AM
When do I think we will get...say...Photoshop? Simple- when the GIMP is better. When Adobe is faced with many of its customers switching to Linux to get the Gimp (yeah I know it has a Windows version, but its not as "native") it will react with another "too little, too late" and make a port.

I hope you're not serious. ;) I don't want to start any flame wars here, so I'll just say that you're not right. However, I would like to see that happening (customers switching to linux to get the gimp), because that would indeed speed up the process on seeing Adobe apps on Linux. But no matter how I try, I cannot see that now. Maybe in a distant future if something drastically changes...

But what puzzles me the most, and I must say that now, is that many of you use IE on linux?! Come on, why using that thing there when you have other alternatives (Firefox anyone)? Wasn't IE something that was not safe & clean, full of bugs and threats?! Even in XP I try to avoid it at all costs! One of the reasons why I wanted to go to Linux was that - to avoid M$ programs and to have something new and speedy. Unfortunately, I wasn't fully satisfied... but never say never. I hope, one day, I will go back to linux again!

Lord Illidan, unfortunately I didn't read the book of lost legends, but I'll try to get it as soon as possible! Tuor is indeed great! :)
And do you mean internet LOTR plaza? I've been there many many times, it was THE LOTR site, but I haven't used the forums for a long time...

JimmyJazz
January 6th, 2006, 05:12 AM
I would love to see Adobe/Macromedia port to Linux even though I'm pretty happy with the new GIMP (3.6)

poofyhairguy
January 6th, 2006, 05:15 AM
I hope you're not serious. ;) I don't want to start any flame wars here, so I'll just say that you're not right.

Its a matter of opinion, but its what I truely believe. Personally there is not a software company that I respect the decisive power of as little as I respect Adobe's. Even MS has not abused the DMCA like they have. I would hate nothing more than to have to rely on them for anything at all. But that is me.

But what puzzles me the most, and I must say that now, is that many of you use IE on linux?! Come on, why using that thing there when you have other alternatives (Firefox anyone)? Wasn't IE something that was not safe & clean, full of bugs and threats?! Even in XP I try to avoid it at all costs!

LOL. I use it because its the only way I can register for my college courses. The local college uses active X like its going out of style. But otherwise I use Firefox or Epiphany.

Its kinda fun to use IE in Linux though- for once in its lifespan its harmless! Like jumping off a roof into a swimming pool- dangerous in theory but safe in practice.

JimmyJazz
January 6th, 2006, 07:26 AM
I can't wait to see the Xara/inkscape project. I think it may put a fire under alot of peoples ass.

l.tambiah
January 6th, 2006, 04:57 PM
But what puzzles me the most, and I must say that now, is that many of you use IE on linux?! Come on, why using that thing there when you have other alternatives (Firefox anyone)? Wasn't IE something that was not safe & clean, full of bugs and threats?! Even in XP I try to avoid it at all costs!

I use IE on Linux, have you ever thought that web developers such as myself require Internet explorer to test our pages work. A good web programmer will ensure sites run on firefox , IE and possibly other browsers such as opera.

Dont get me wrong i hate IE and it is way behind firefox, to be quite honest its a pain in the butt for web programmers. We have to apply hacks for the browser to work properly with CSS.