Nothing else!

Pretty self explanatory!

Giant Speck
April 19th, 2009, 11:49 AM
For playing music: Rhythmbox

For syncing my iPhone: iTunes

gn2
April 19th, 2009, 11:58 AM
I've never owned an iPod and never used iTunes.
All I know about the iMusic world is that the iTunes store is a rip-off, as are iPods.

billgoldberg
April 19th, 2009, 12:00 PM
I never used iTunes.

I prefer Rhythmbox.

joshdudeha
April 19th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Don't kill me,
But I use iTunes (not very many other alternatives that I like on a mac)
And, in my opinion it is good for what it does, I don't buy music off it, but it is good for playing music and I like the layout, personally.

Eisenwinter
April 19th, 2009, 12:10 PM
I never used either.

Cmus is my preferred music player.

Spike-X
April 19th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Songbird.

I have RockBox on my iPod, I just drag-and-drop and use it in file browser mode.

RichardLinx
April 19th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Banshee.

dmm1983
April 19th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Amarok \\:D/

hatten
April 19th, 2009, 01:04 PM
mocp for playing and xterm for organising

tuskenraider
April 19th, 2009, 01:07 PM
I very much love Amarok.. i use it on my laptop at school for listening to music off a portable HDD. Tho at home for streaming and for music management i use Itunes on my windows pc. i know i know a double negative. lol but itunes manages my 135 gb o music better than any other program ive found..

Tho i have not tried the amarok for windows.... maybe ill try that in the next week or so... if its ready......

tusken

super breadfish
April 19th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Amarok 1.4.10 was great. I didn't like 2.0.

I use cplay now, fancied going light weight.

Cmus is my preferred music player.

I would use cmus, but pause and volume control don't work for some reason.

RiceMonster
April 19th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I hate iTunes with a passion. IMO it's a horrible music player, but I don't feel like getting into the reasons. I don't know about Mac, but if you use Windows, use foobar2000, and if you're too lazy to use that, use winamp. Both are miles ahead of iTunes. IMO the only reason to use it is for iPods/iPhones (I don't like iPods at all either, though).

I haven't tried Amarok 2 yet, but I like 1.4. Only problem is it's a kde app, and I don't use KDE.

I use mpd, with Sonata for a client. mpd has gapless playback and Sonata has a nice clean and compact layout.

ukblacknight
April 19th, 2009, 04:19 PM
I've tried iTunes on my Vista partition and didn't like it. It's so slow it's unbelievable, plus, it forced me to install QuickTime, AND the updater, which asks if I want to update iTunes and install Safari, comes on about 15mins after a boot, so if you're playing a game, it causes it to go slow. I don't own any Apple products, so, iTunes is a big no.

I've always found Amarok too complicated to use. Not that I'm just too stupid to use it, I just want to listen to my music, I can't be bothered fiddling around with tonnes of settings, different databases and so on. I've installed it a few times as many people rant about it, however there has always been something that's forced me to uninstall it almost straight away, can't remember what it was... :P

Banshee is my player of choice. I liked Rhythmbox but Banshee covers all the negatives that I found with it. It's simple to use yet is powerful enough to manage my library how I want it. My only qualm with it is that it tends to eat my RAM and can be quite slow handling large libraries!

=^,^=
April 19th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I hate iTunes with a passion. IMO it's a horrible music player, but I don't feel like getting into the reasons. I don't know about Mac, but if you use Windows, use foobar2000, and if you're too lazy to use that, use winamp. Both are miles ahead of iTunes. IMO the only reason to use it is for iPods/iPhones (I don't like iPods at all either, though).

I haven't tried Amarok 2 yet, but I like 1.4. Only problem is it's a kde app, and I don't use KDE.

I use mpd, with Sonata for a client. mpd has gapless playback and Sonata has a nice clean and compact layout.

Amarok 2 is really good!

I've tried iTunes on my Vista partition and didn't like it. It's so slow it's unbelievable, plus, it forced me to install QuickTime, AND the updater, which asks if I want to update iTunes and install Safari, comes on about 15mins after a boot, so if you're playing a game, it causes it to go slow. I don't own any Apple products, so, iTunes is a big no.

I've always found Amarok too complicated to use. Not that I'm just too stupid to use it, I just want to listen to my music, I can't be bothered fiddling around with tonnes of settings, different databases and so on. I've installed it a few times as many people rant about it, however there has always been something that's forced me to uninstall it almost straight away, can't remember what it was... :P

Banshee is my player of choice. I liked Rhythmbox but Banshee covers all the negatives that I found with it. It's simple to use yet is powerful enough to manage my library how I want it. My only qualm with it is that it tends to eat my RAM and can be quite slow handling large libraries!

Of course it was slow, it was vista!

It has to install quicktime for video playback using mov files I think.

kk0sse54
April 19th, 2009, 04:29 PM
I use ncmpcpp + mpd

sideaway
April 19th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Amarok, I own an iPod. but deary me, I cannot stand iTunes, I use Winamp on windows to sync my iPod and foobar to listen to my flac; but winamp for just general listening, I also own a toshiba gigabeat and have rockbox on that so just drag an drop there.

Amarok is the main reason I switched to Linux. Now I'm hooked :)

One feature I'd like to be implemented into amarok though, I'd like it to cache my current playlist automatically periodically; not just when I click close; because sometimes I just click the shutdown button and it doesn't save my current playlist! grr!

swoll1980
April 19th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Exaile

=^,^=
April 19th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Exaile

?

swoll1980
April 19th, 2009, 05:08 PM
?

Here (http://www.exaile.org/)

=^,^=
April 19th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Here (http://www.exaile.org/)

Ok, I see.

But it looks a little to cluttered for my taste!

ukblacknight
April 19th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Exactly.

It's a clone GTK clone for Amarok. Tabs everywhere, not very neat. Reminds me even more of why I didn't like Amarok, simply just too much stuff crammed everywhere, vertical tabs. That tree view "Collection" is appalling, I think that is actually the reason I dumped it.

pwnst*r
April 19th, 2009, 05:18 PM
I've never owned an iPod and never used iTunes.
All I know about the iMusic world is that the iTunes store is a rip-off, as are iPods.

itunes store is a ripoff? why because you pay for music?

=^,^=
April 19th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Exactly.

It's a clone GTK clone for Amarok. Tabs everywhere, not very neat. Reminds me even more of why I didn't like Amarok, simply just too much stuff crammed everywhere, vertical tabs. That tree view "Collection" is appalling, I think that is actually the reason I dumped it.

I like the kde tabs....

RiceMonster
April 19th, 2009, 05:30 PM
That tree view "Collection" is appalling, I think that is actually the reason I dumped it.

I like that :\. I much prefer that to the iTunes style browser with three pains (genre | artist | album).

ukblacknight
April 19th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I like that :\. I much prefer that to the iTunes style browser with three pains (genre | artist | album).

I thought it was good up until I had compilation albums (which I have a lot of), where it would show the artist as a separate entity, then the album and then the single track. I'm not so fussed about listening to albums by a particular artist, so that's probably why I don't like that view!

I don't like the genre view, I don't really see the point in it as in my experience, a lot of tracks aren't tagged accurately enough to warrant it being useful. I tend to just use the artist | album view :)

Saying that, I'm using the Mirage plug-in for Banshee now (like iTunes' Genius), so I can generally just listen to what it thinks is similar to what I chose :D

RiceMonster
April 19th, 2009, 05:39 PM
In Amarok you can set songs to show up under various artists or something like that so you'll be able to see your compilation albums in one thing. But I guess it would be a pain setting that up if you have a lot of them.

Daisuke_Aramaki
April 19th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Just mpd and ncmpcpp for everything. so none of the above. don't own an iphone or an ipod, and never will, so no use for itunes.

Ticketoride
April 19th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Both Rythmbox & Amarok. I tend to despise Media Players with too many Panes I can't get rid of instead of a single Interface, or Visualizations they think are cool to gawk at while listening to Music.
Rythmbox pretty much does that, easy to scroll and Playlists can be viewed screen wide.

Amarok has great Station Guides, and I use that when not playing .flac Media from my HDD.

In Windows, I run an ancient Version of WinAmp 1.92 ... its up and running in under a Second. I am not the least impressed with Features, I just want a simple interface that makes it easy to operate.

myusername
April 19th, 2009, 06:17 PM
between the two it would definitely be itunes. amarok sucks. i don't like the whole tree to browse my music or the fact that it has to be in a playlist thing for it to play. when i put it on an album or an artist, i want it to keep going until i change it. I don't wanna have to add songs to a freaking playlist. but i dont like the new itunes 8.xx crap. itunes 7 was good though.

but overall i'd pick either Rhythmbox or Banshee. i like the fact that they have a browser and a search bar to easily find my music without any of the "tree" bull crap

gn2
April 19th, 2009, 07:00 PM
itunes store is a ripoff? why because you pay for music?

No, because they charge too much.
I do pay for music downloads, but not that amount.

pwnst*r
April 19th, 2009, 07:11 PM
seems reasonable to me *shrugs*

so where do you go to buy digital music?

ukblacknight
April 19th, 2009, 07:14 PM
seems reasonable to me *shrugs*

Doesn't it depend where you are?

I know that Apple don't seem to recognise currency symbols when it comes to pricing, if something is 0.89USD, they'll charge 0.89GBP effectively making their prices 70 to 100% more expensive in the UK.

pwnst*r
April 19th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Doesn't it depend where you are?

I know that Apple don't seem to recognise currency symbols when it comes to pricing, if something is 0.89USD, they'll charge 0.89GBP effectively making their prices 70 to 100% more expensive in the UK.

i have no idea since i've only purchased within the U.S.

gn2
April 20th, 2009, 12:00 AM

Mostly Russia, sometimes the Channel Islands.

mamamia88
April 20th, 2009, 12:08 AM
rythmbox great search feature and minimizes to panel i love it

Giant Speck
April 20th, 2009, 12:09 AM
While I love the fact my iPhone has a built in iTunes application from which I can buy and download music, I limit my use of it because of the 99 cent pricetag on songs.

Amazon.com's music store is a bit cheaper. Songs are about ten to fifteen cents cheaper. The only problem with Amazon.com, though, is that their music collection is much smaller than iTune's music collection.

If only iTunes was subscription-based rather than a pay-per-song service.

RiceMonster
April 20th, 2009, 12:10 AM

Wouldn't all music players minimize to a panel? Or do you mean tray?

pwnst*r
April 20th, 2009, 12:38 AM
Mostly Russia, sometimes the Channel Islands.

can you buy lossless from these "places"?

Ticketoride
April 20th, 2009, 01:32 AM
Although I don't purchase my Music from these Places, if they even exist, anything I buy that is lossy is worthless to me.

gn2
April 20th, 2009, 01:47 AM

No.
Channel islands is CBR320 .mp3, Russia it can vary.

connorh123
April 20th, 2009, 01:52 AM
Always wanted to know, this program, Amarok. Can you buy songs off of it like Itunes, or just charge your Ipod. All I've been reading so far is charging the ipod, not the buying part.

fabiola
April 20th, 2009, 01:55 AM
After over 5 years experience on Linux I voted for amarok.

pwnst*r
April 20th, 2009, 02:47 AM
No.
Channel islands is CBR320 .mp3, Russia it can vary.

then, meh. thx for the info tho

Ticketoride
April 20th, 2009, 04:10 AM

For playing music: Rhythmbox

I never used iTunes. I prefer Rhythmbox.
I am going to withdraw any further Thumbs up for Amarok.

It appears Rhythmbox is the only Player also capable of playing the lossless . APE Format (Monkey's Audio) as well as . SHN (Shorten Codec). Even stranger than Fiction ... the Totem Movie Player can also render them, kicking VLC 's A$$ all over the Place.

Giant Speck
April 20th, 2009, 04:28 AM
Always wanted to know, this program, Amarok. Can you buy songs off of it like Itunes, or just charge your Ipod. All I've been reading so far is charging the ipod, not the buying part.

Amarok does not have a built in music store. For downloading music in Linux, I would recommend Amazon.com. Their music store features mp3 downloading software that is compatible with Linux (they have a .deb installer and an .rpm installer).

As for iPods, you don't need Amarok to charge the iPod. Just connecting the iPod to the computer will initiate the charging process. The last time I used Amarok was version 1.4.10, and it had iPod support. You could transfer files to and from the iPod and play them. However, Amarok 2.0.0 dropped iPod support. I have no idea whether or not the current version supports iPods.

TBOL3
April 20th, 2009, 04:44 AM
gpodder (with vlc as the media player) all of the way.

I just want to be able to open files, and not run them in a playlist. (well occasionally I want a playlist, but that's just audiobooks when I insert a cd). And gpooder is a very good podcatcher. It doesn't have all of these frills. It just catches the podcasts, and puts them on my DAP. Very easy, very slim, and very out of the way.

connorh123
April 20th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Amarok does not have a built in music store. For downloading music in Linux, I would recommend Amazon.com. Their music store features mp3 downloading software that is compatible with Linux (they have a .deb installer and an .rpm installer).

As for iPods, you don't need Amarok to charge the iPod. Just connecting the iPod to the computer will initiate the charging process. The last time I used Amarok was version 1.4.10, and it had iPod support. You could transfer files to and from the iPod and play them. However, Amarok 2.0.0 dropped iPod support. I have no idea whether or not the current version supports iPods.

So what's Amarok for then?

Giant Speck
April 20th, 2009, 01:01 PM
So what's Amarok for then?

Playing music.

ukblacknight
April 20th, 2009, 05:32 PM
gpodder (with vlc as the media player) all of the way.

I just want to be able to open files, and not run them in a playlist. (well occasionally I want a playlist, but that's just audiobooks when I insert a cd). And gpooder is a very good podcatcher. It doesn't have all of these frills. It just catches the podcasts, and puts them on my DAP. Very easy, very slim, and very out of the way.

How does that work? Do you listen to a single track and then not listen to anything else? Surely you don't keep going to file -> open to listen to a new track each time?!