PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Anti Aliasing in Gnome?

jibsta
April 19th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Hi how can I get gnome to anti alias the 3d effects, they look so ghetto with jaggies everywhere....

If this was answered sorry, every search just brought up text smoothing.

inobe
April 19th, 2009, 09:04 AM
you can do this in nvidia-settings or ati control panel.

example: http://www.itsyourpc.org/duane/files/anti.jpg

i hope my suggestions help

jibsta
April 19th, 2009, 09:10 AM
I have all those settings maxed, they apply to any 3d apps running but not to the enivroment itself.

inobe
April 19th, 2009, 09:12 AM
jibsta the 180.44 driver has a crap load of fixes, i update and there hasn't been a hiccup with desktop affects.

my desk use to crash with the cube using 177's

jibsta
April 19th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Im running the 180.44, they are stable and everything works great but all the 3d stuff is jaggy ....

inobe
April 19th, 2009, 09:17 AM
did you install anything other than the default affects manager.

how do you have the affects setup.

i am not experiencing what your describing.

jibsta
April 19th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Using the default or compiz makes no differencs it seems to me the hardware accel is not using the anti aliasing...

inobe
April 19th, 2009, 09:31 AM
this is the best i can come up with jibsta

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/505/

obviously it's still some sort of nvidia issue, someone did post instructions about reseting compiz.

hope it works out for you

jibsta
April 19th, 2009, 09:45 AM
AHH solved it, had to switch from enhance to force and restart everything...

inobe
April 19th, 2009, 09:48 AM
that's excellent jibsta i am glad it worked for you.

we really appreciate disclosing how you solved the problem, i certainly hope i helped too.

jibsta
April 19th, 2009, 09:48 AM
THanks for the hekp, I think this option should be built into the program and not have to be forced by the nvidia drivers....

jibsta
April 19th, 2009, 09:50 AM
The link you sent me, I originally had the drivers in enhance app settings, i switched them to override app settings but never thought to restart compiz, once i restarted that and the basic desktop effects, everything is smooth as a babys *** :)

inobe
April 19th, 2009, 09:50 AM
that's excellent jibsta i am glad it worked for you.

we really appreciate disclosing how you solved the problem, i certainly hope i helped too.

you may have missed my post, i quoted myself.

and your welcome.

jibsta
April 19th, 2009, 09:52 AM
you may have missed my post, i quoted myself.

and your welcome.

Just saw it and answered it above.

The link you sent me, I originally had the drivers in enhance app settings, i switched them to override app settings but never thought to restart compiz, once i restarted that and the basic desktop effects, everything is smooth as a babys ***

inobe
April 19th, 2009, 09:54 AM
if your nvidia settings don't stick after a reboot' you may need to access nvidia-settings with higher privileges to make them stick.

in terminal do

gksu nvidia-settings

apply settings and no more worries, just be careful in there.

jibsta
April 19th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Ok thanks, one headsup i notice tho, with 16 AA on, my card is staying in full power and not throttling down so if your caring about fan noise or battery life on a laptop this is probably a bad idea.

inobe
April 19th, 2009, 10:03 AM
i will agree with you on that, this will heat up the gpu and draw power, good point jibsta.

in fact i don't think this would be recommended for anything under 6xxx series nvidia card :)