PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Advertisement Idea

murderslastcrow
April 19th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Now, to start off I'd like to address issues of those who might be opposed to this. First, I'm aware that Canonical itself may not want to be advertised in the media, for whatever reason, and I don't intend to claim ownership or endorsement in these ads.

Also, if you think free software shouldn't be advertised, as it defeats the purpose, I assure you that it's one of the primary selling points when outlined officially.

Now, with 9.04 coming close at hand, with a lot of interesting features and nicer themes available pre-installed, I think this could really be the time for the Ubuntu distribution (and Linux as a whole) to shine.

I don't think Ubuntu will overcome the entire computer market obviously, but think about it.

The global economy is in decline, and with the release of new, extremely pricey versions of mainstream operating systems (Windows 7) coming up soon, it would provide a sheer contrast to outline the benefits of using Ubuntu.

So, I have a few ideas that I'm planning to implement in video ads.

First of all, to have a webpage (or in the event of a youtube video, links on the side) that lets you choose what kind of user you are. There would be a few ads that would pertain to all users and show off some features everyone will love, but for those more curious, they can choose what they want answers and have it given to them as a presentation.

Some categories would include computer literacy: Novice, Intermediate, Expert.

Also, questions about the interface (how to navigate and use Add/Remove, as well as easily change themes in about 20 seconds), desktop effects, and the software the user would want (noting that it's preinstalled) would all be very useful and further express the contrast to new users.

There could even be a few niche ads for certain hot-topics among Linux converts, such as the use of iPods and common Office documents with free software alternatives (with nice themes, of course). The effective use of WINE to supplement where those alternatives are nowhere to be found (gaming, namely, would bring a lot of curiosity, but might be ruled out to prevent dissatisfaction with some yet-incompatible software).

Perhaps a simple 10 second demo showing users how easy it is to customize their interface with some examples (Mac OSX or Windows look-a-likes could be included along with how long it took to modify the interface).

Also, a few simple ads that outline the unfamiliar concept of having a platform that is seamless from Server to Desktop, laptop, and now even mobile ARM processors would certainly be something worth pointing out.

So, I thank you for reading these ideas and encourage you to contribute and give me some feedback on what I should and should not include in these ads.

As you can see, for the most part I want to have ads showing the actual interface in-use to bring a sense of the real magic behind Linux to people (a bit like some recent iPhone commercials). I'm also open to some that blend a more theatric/metaphorical approach.

However, I'm trying to steer away from philosophical debate commercials since, with our current economy, as well as the recent progression of the Ubuntu platform, it certainly won't hurt to get noticed as long as new users are willing to contribute, and understand the very few risks involved, compared to the excessive benefits.

Your thoughts?

Roque2
April 19th, 2009, 08:51 AM
I personally think this is a great idea. Looks like you have thought this out.

FLMKane
April 19th, 2009, 09:19 AM
I personally belive this is the only way linux can beat MS. But you will need to be HYPER agressive with your marketing without EVER telling a lie.

jolx
April 19th, 2009, 12:00 PM
beat MS

at what? being a pita? ;)

I think the OP's idea is good as long as it doesn't turn into a whole "omg linux NEEDS to pwn microsoft"

Wild_Duck66
April 19th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Most people I know have never heard of Linux, they bring me their BSOD Laptop/tower with no system disks to see if I can fix it. At 61 some are surprised I know anything about it, so I install Ubuntu on their machine (dual boot if windows can be saved) and most are happy with it. I`m sure if Linux was advertised more people would try it, after all what have they to lose?

XubuRoxMySox
April 19th, 2009, 12:32 PM
I really think Linux sells itself - and Ubuntu in particular came from nowhere and caught on like mad, just by word-of-mouth.

Overcoming the popular myth that you have to be some kinda super-geek in order to use it may be the biggest issue.

These forums here are an example! I first went to check out Linux almost two years ago, but my research led me here and I looked around at all the problems people have (and it didn't even occur to me - helloooo, SUPPORT forum, duh!) and got scared off by those freaky looking command strings! I told myself "I don't have time to learn a whole 'nother language... guess I'm stuck with *******."

I don't know what inspired me to try again. Desperation, perhaps, and resentment at being held hostage by a tool that's supposed to work for me instead of the other way around, LOL. And none of my previous assumptions proved true! I have pointed-and-clicked my way through everything! I have used the terminal only once during the initial setup, to get ndiswrapper and ndisgtk from the live CD so I could let Ubuntu to use my li'l wifi thingy's ******* drivers. Nothing since! Point-and-shoot simplicity, beauty, speed... ah, freedom!!

When I tell my friends how totally easy Linux is, the ones who don't know me well say, "Oh, yeah, right, suuuuuuure. For a super geek, maybe." But the ones who know what a total scared-to-death-of-'puters kind of person I am freak out when I tell them I've switched to Linux and love it's simplicity and elegance!

I think that's what Canonical had in mind with the "it just works" slogan. They've got the right idea. Now we need to catch on and let folks know that with Ubuntu, they don't have to be supergeeks to enjoy Linux!

-Robin (2 years late!)

ddrichardson
April 19th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Why don't you get in touch with the marketing team (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MarketingTeam)?

FLMKane
April 20th, 2009, 07:19 AM
at what? being a pita? ;)

I think the OP's idea is good as long as it doesn't turn into a whole "omg linux NEEDS to pwn microsoft"

Yeah your right. But that is basically what the marketing will have to be about unfortunately.

murderslastcrow
April 21st, 2009, 08:19 PM
Well, I think the ideology here is a bit skewed from my main directive with these ads.

Just like a certain commercial UNIX-based OS we know of, we don't have to really talk about how much it kicks Windows' ****. That'll reveal itself to the users through proper demonstration of the benefits of the software.

Just like I read recently in a blog, when people talk about Mac's OSX, they never say things like, "it's not ready for the desktop." Most of the reasons people go over to a Mac (stability, security, speed, interface) are all found in Ubuntu free of charge.

I think word of mouth works remarkably, but I also think video ads will embew people with a sense of, "hey, this isn't just a good idea, it's COOL." As well as the proper demonstration of features (especially some new interface enhancements in Jaunty ^_~), the benefits of using Ubuntu will become increasingly obvious.

I also plan to create a montage commercial that integrates the AIGO or one of the newly supported ARM-based MIDs to show off compatibility and sheer WOW factor.

The closest to that Windows has gotten is its crippled Mobile OS, and the closest Apple has gotten is with the iPod touch (which proves UNIX systems can work in a variety of environments).

So yes, I'll get some mockups ready, probably storyboard layouts, then present them to the members here and we'll see if we can improve on them.

Just stay aware that the few main ads (the ones to get them in the door and look at the niche-focused ads) should show obvious benefits/look 'cool' for anyone from Tim the Teen to Granny Grimwald. We want to show off the appeal of the OS, as well as some of the products recently bundled with Ubuntu (the preinstalled experience, not only the ease of installation experience provided with LiveCD and Wubi).

Storyboards and pics available after the break.

P.S. I'll get these ideas to the marketing team when we've got a good idea of what the community finds as Ubuntu's strengths and how they should be presented.