PDA

View Full Version : Windows Seven Taking Out A Boat-Load

coldReactive
April 19th, 2009, 05:13 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7#Removed_features

Read it, and be amazed.

Also, Windows Seven blocks third-party video decoders from Windows Media Player.

Mr. Picklesworth
April 19th, 2009, 06:40 AM
"Windows Live Family Safety," "Desktop Gadget Gallery," "Windows Live Calendar"... wow, nice mouthfuls.
For the most part, though, that list of removed features looks fine. A nice, decisive step towards cleaning old cruft.

Amazing that they would kill Inkball, though. Wasn't Windows 7 meant to be a multitouch and tablet release? Inkball would be a real showcase of that. Then again, I've heard very little of it lately. Perhaps desktop Linux (whenever xinput 2 hits, hopefully with Ubuntu 9.10) will indeed still be the first to have serious multi pointer support!

karellen
April 19th, 2009, 08:02 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7#Removed_features

Read it, and be amazed.

Also, Windows Seven blocks third-party video decoders from Windows Media Player.

do you happen to have a more reliable source than Wikipedia?

pwnst*r
April 19th, 2009, 08:03 AM
no joke. probably randomly edited by linux zealots on a daily basis.

thewolfman
April 19th, 2009, 08:11 AM
If Windows 7 is anything like Vista I wouldn't hold my breath about anything anybody says at the moment, so until someone gives it a real review I think we should wait and then give Microsoft a tongue lashing!!!!!

Anyone know the price in Euro's????

have a good one.

Coffee3133
April 19th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Anyone know the price in Euro's????

*grows a tail and hides his pitchfork*

"Why it's free ... well almost free. Just sign right here in blood and that soul thing? you won't be needing that anyway."

Thank you,

~Coffee

Paqman
April 19th, 2009, 10:02 AM
do you happen to have a more reliable source than Wikipedia?

Wikipedia is as reliable as it's sources. Some of those are cited in the article, if you feel like some are missing then you should add a citation needed and the community will either verify or remove that information.

omar8
April 19th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Everybody gets angry when Microsoft includes programs, everyone gets angry when Microsoft removes programs. It is lose/lose for Microsoft.

Pasdar
April 19th, 2009, 11:16 AM
I've tried a pre-7000 build of Win7, it was virtually indistinguishable from Windows VISTA, crashed trice, I lost many photo's and there were many things wrong with it. Other than that it was faster than VISTA and through some subtle changes made it look a bit nicer than VISTA.

After the 7000 build they changed the task panel and a few other things, most likely because everyone said this is what VISTA should have been like, and not a new OS. So they were forced add more visual changes.

billgoldberg
April 19th, 2009, 12:13 PM
I've tried a pre-7000 build of Win7, it was virtually indistinguishable from Windows VISTA, crashed trice, I lost many photo's and there were many things wrong with it. Other than that it was faster than VISTA and through some subtle changes made it look a bit nicer than VISTA.

After the 7000 build they changed the task panel and a few other things, most likely because everyone said this is what VISTA should have been like, and not a new OS. So they were forced add more visual changes.

My Windows 7 (beta 7000) blue screens about twice a day.

I hope it's already fixed in the newer versions.

Pasdar
April 19th, 2009, 12:35 PM

One time I inserted my USB stick and it crashed, lol.

ELD
April 19th, 2009, 12:41 PM
One time I inserted my USB stick and it crashed, lol.

Worse things happen with test versions of ubuntu, trust me i use the test versions.

If you are all going to bash a test release be sure to bash the ubuntu test releases.

Guys it's not a stable release for a reason.

That said whats with this change:

Some Windows Media Player features:

* Advanced Tag Editor

I used that a lot when i used WMP.

kamaboko
April 19th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Worse things happen with test versions of ubuntu, trust me i use the test versions.

If you are all going to bash a test release be sure to bash the ubuntu test releases.

Exactly. I've been using Windows 7 build 7057 for several weeks now. My only complaint is that the wireless flakes out from time-to-time. Keep in mind I'm using it on an Asus 1000HA w/2GB of RAM. That said, I have yet to see it eat up more than 1GB of memory; that's running the OS, Windows Media player, 2007 Office, and IE 8. Bottom line...very very impressive. Furthermore, it's fast. Knock it all you want, but MS did it right this time, and I believe this will be a money maker for MS. OH, btw I'm writing this using eeebuntu on the same Asus 1000HA. I dual boot. Not a fan boy here, but simply offering a fair and balanced opinion.

Sand & Mercury
April 19th, 2009, 02:25 PM
"Windows Live Family Safety," "Desktop Gadget Gallery," "Windows Live Calendar"... wow, nice mouthfuls.
For the most part, though, that list of removed features looks fine. A nice, decisive step towards cleaning old cruft.
I definitely agree here. Seems like they're trying to make W7 a nice lean OS and that sits well with me. I used the 7000 beta and it wasn't half-bad, if it weren't for Ubuntu I would probably still be using it (till it expires, that is)

coldReactive
April 19th, 2009, 02:46 PM
I just hope that blocking of third party video decoders isn't true (which it seems to be) because it means I can't use K-Lite or Cole.2k anymore.

I really dislike VLC and classic. Though they said it will not take place in the final version, I'm sure they might include it anyway.

mamamia88
April 19th, 2009, 03:00 PM
you guys must have had bad experiences with windows 7 so far i'v installed the beta but really haven't played with it much haven't even installed my video card driver

pwnst*r
April 19th, 2009, 03:01 PM

mine hasn't blue screened once.

pwnst*r
April 19th, 2009, 03:03 PM
I just hope that blocking of third party video decoders isn't true (which it seems to be) because it means I can't use K-Lite or Cole.2k anymore.

I really dislike VLC and classic. Though they said it will not take place in the final version, I'm sure they might include it anyway.

i've never heard of anybody disliking VLC. i'd be interested to know why you do not like it.

coldReactive
April 19th, 2009, 03:14 PM
i've never heard of anybody disliking VLC. i'd be interested to know why you do not like it.

No need to install an extra program when the default program that comes with the OS can do it. I also don't really like VLC's interface.

mamamia88
April 19th, 2009, 03:15 PM

did anyone else get a vlc update the other day and now can't figure out how to get to dvd menu or fastforward/rewind on new vlc?

pwnst*r
April 19th, 2009, 03:17 PM
No need to install an extra program when the default program that comes with the OS can do it. I also don't really like VLC's interface.

except that the default program cannot do it. you're installing codecs, so that almost counts as an extra program.

not a fan of the interface either, but who watches videos in a window?

coldReactive
April 19th, 2009, 03:18 PM
not a fan of the interface either, but who watches videos in a window?

I do, because DVDs are only meant to be watched full screen. :P

pwnst*r
April 19th, 2009, 03:19 PM
did anyone else get a vlc update the other day and now can't figure out how to get to dvd menu or fastforward/rewind on new vlc?

i'm going to assume you mean the linux version? i've not received an update on my windows boxen on any of my nodes.

mamamia88
April 19th, 2009, 03:21 PM
yeah it upgraded through software sources and when i tried to watch a dvd yesterday i couldn't for the life of me figure out how to fastforward/rewind or go back to dvd menu

SuperSonic4
April 19th, 2009, 03:22 PM

It's best to make a new thread if you have a problem :]

It's good they're removing products but removing third party decoders isn't the way forward, if they do more people will abandon WMP.

ELD
April 19th, 2009, 04:31 PM
I also have the VLC problem, my friends dvd seem to loop through copyright info for loads of different countries and not go to the menu, so i use the inbuilt media player.

That said i do want to try win7, apart from a few threads on this forum it has been positive experience for most people.

LiamWilson
April 19th, 2009, 05:00 PM
"The ability to disable the taskbar's "always on top" setting"

JEEZ! Have you SEEN the size of the taskbar?!

pwnst*r
April 19th, 2009, 05:20 PM
I do, because DVDs are only meant to be watched full screen. :P

um. my point exactly?

coldReactive
April 19th, 2009, 05:47 PM
um. my point exactly?

because I watch a lot of video "files" that are not DVDs or full length movies, I don't need them full screen -_-

pwnst*r
April 19th, 2009, 06:03 PM
in other words, they're of poor resolution.

kk

Bungo Pony
April 20th, 2009, 03:33 AM
Classic Start menu user interface

A lot of people are going to be pissed about that one. Most people I know don't use the goofy new interfaces.

mamamia88
April 20th, 2009, 03:47 AM
the start menu needed a overhall to go too many subdirectiories it was almost impossible to find what you wanted at times. and i'm not gonna miss the windows list at the bottom of the screen.

jwbrase
April 20th, 2009, 05:59 AM
A lot of people are going to be pissed about that one. Most people I know don't use the goofy new interfaces.

When we bought our latest machine, I convinced my Dad to go for XP instead of Vista. Someday, if I have a great need for Windows-only programs, and can't get hold of XP or ressurect an XP box, I may eventually get Vista. But if 7 is removing the classic interface, I will *never* use it. The default XP interface is an eyesore, and Aero is worse, but I'll use any version of Windows that supports classic. Any version that doesn't, however, will drive me from "linux tinkerer" to "Diehard Linux fanatic." (Unless (Fat chance) MS Realeases Windows Gnome).

coldReactive
April 20th, 2009, 06:06 AM
(Unless (Fat chance) MS Realeases Windows Gnome).

Don't people know about CyGNOME?!

http://cygnome.sourceforge.net/

Also, keep an eye on ReactOS.

Giant Speck
April 20th, 2009, 06:14 AM
But if 7 is removing the classic interface, I will *never* use it.

They aren't removing the classic interface. They're removing the classic start menu.

Also, for those interested, the release candidate will be released to the public on May 5.