PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] MX records on no-ip

izziere
April 19th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Hi all. I am able to use my qmail setup to send mail, but cannot receive due to DNS problems, I believe. I get the following information in the bounceback:

Sorry, I couldn't find a mail exchanger or IP address. (#5.4.4)

I am running Apache and qmail on the same machine. My webhost name is xyz.no-ip.org. My server name is xyz, giving me qmail server address of xyz.xyz.no-ip.org A nice snappy email address!!

Anyway, when I am adding the MX record on no-ip, should I be adding the server as xyz.xyz.no-ip.org or just xyz.no-ip.org? Both are accepted, but both result in the same mail delivery failure.

I recognise it could be because the sending mail systems have DNS caches but am impatient, particularly as I am not sure which I should be using!

Many thanks

brianhenson
April 19th, 2009, 07:01 AM
izziere,

What I done in the past with no-ip is add the actual no-ip hostname as the mx record. So as an example we will use the xyz.no-ip.com as the host. On the server I would setup the domain to be xyz.no-ip.com and create my emails under that. Once that is setup the host should be added to the no-ip servers so go and update the domain to have the same hostname as the mx record and wait a bit and try it out from gmail or other email service.

Brian

FarehamWeather
April 19th, 2009, 08:22 AM
do you need a payed account to do that ?

brianhenson
April 20th, 2009, 02:03 AM
I cannot say for right now but when I did it, it was part of the free package.

izziere
April 20th, 2009, 05:43 PM
izziere,

What I done in the past with no-ip is add the actual no-ip hostname as the mx record. So as an example we will use the xyz.no-ip.com as the host. On the server I would setup the domain to be xyz.no-ip.com and create my emails under that. Once that is setup the host should be added to the no-ip servers so go and update the domain to have the same hostname as the mx record and wait a bit and try it out from gmail or other email service.

Brian

Bingo. Thanks - you're a star

brianhenson
April 21st, 2009, 12:20 AM
Glad I could help