PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Force mounting external drive

Vostrocity
April 19th, 2009, 04:22 AM
I have an USB HDD that I haven't used since a couple months ago with Windows. Usually I just wait til the drive doesn't sound like it's clicking anymore and then power it off (no safe removal). Nothing bad happend to either Windows or the drive so that's how I always removed it. Well now it won't mount in Ubuntu obviously. I have plenty of Windows computers around but just for future reference I want to know how safe it is to force mount it.
"Choice 2: If you don't have Windows then you can use the 'force' option for your own responsibility." Very sloppy grammar btw. ;)

Vostrocity
April 23rd, 2009, 08:53 PM
Any responses here?

SuperSonic4
April 23rd, 2009, 08:55 PM
sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdXX /media/disk -o force

note that red text means you'll have to put your drive specific details in: ntfs-3g is for ntfs devices, vfat is for fat devices.

sdXX is where the external drive is mounted, you can always check it's location (and filesystem) with
sudo fdisk -l

/media/disk is where the drive will be mounted to. You may need to do
sudo mkdir /media/disk if the mount directory does not exist.

Vostrocity
April 24th, 2009, 04:18 AM
Ok but what's the chance of corrupting data on the disk? It says to force mount "for your own responsibility".

SuperSonic4
April 24th, 2009, 07:42 PM
I've done it a few times (about 3-5) and nothing has happened to my data. I can't say whether you'll be unlucky or not but I believe it's a small chance

Vostrocity
April 26th, 2009, 04:58 AM
Ok so the dialog box says that I should use mount -t ntfs-3g/dev/sdb1/media/Lacie Files -o force, which is basically what you said. And then it says to run as root so I add in sudo. Well then it asks for my password. I type it in perfectly but it keeps saying that it's wrong. :confused:

Poleh
April 26th, 2009, 05:01 AM
does your folder /media/Lacie Files exist? you should have that folder before mounting to it.

Vostrocity
April 26th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Idk, where is it supposed to be? But I doubt that has something to do with the password being wrong.

KhurramM
April 27th, 2009, 02:14 AM
Try reformatting your hard using FAT32, u will never, hopefully, get to use force.

It can be used both for linux and windows machines.

Hope this can be of help.

thatcooldude
April 27th, 2009, 04:26 AM
Ok so the dialog box says that I should use mount -t ntfs-3g/dev/sdb1/media/Lacie Files -o force, which is basically what you said. And then it says to run as root so I add in sudo. Well then it asks for my password. I type it in perfectly but it keeps saying that it's wrong. :confused:

Have you set a root password before? Try issuing the following command in your Terminal:

sudo passwd

Type in a desired root password, then confirm it.

Then try the sudo command you were attempting before and you should be able to mount the drive successfully. You're correct - the error you're receiving has to do with the password and not the command. I would hold off on reformatting until you've exhausted your other options!

Please post back and let me know if setting the password works!

Vostrocity
April 29th, 2009, 01:32 AM
Try reformatting your hard using FAT32, u will never, hopefully, get to use force.

It can be used both for linux and windows machines.

Hope this can be of help.

Lol why would I want to use FAT32, it's a 750GB hard drive.

Have you set a root password before? Try issuing the following command in your Terminal:

sudo passwd

Type in a desired root password, then confirm it.

Then try the sudo command you were attempting before and you should be able to mount the drive successfully. You're correct - the error you're receiving has to do with the password and not the command. I would hold off on reformatting until you've exhausted your other options!

Please post back and let me know if setting the password works!

Here's what I get.

andrew@Vostrocity:~$ sudo passwd
[sudo] password for andrew:
testingSorry, try again.
testtestSorry, try again.
testing againSorry, try again.
sudo: 3 incorrect password attempts
andrew@Vostrocity:~$ testing again

And that's the exactly what happens when I get the problem in the first place. :confused:

thatcooldude
April 29th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Then it looks like the problem is your root password has been set to something you no longer know :/

Try resetting your root password (http://www.wallpaperama.com/forums/how-to-reset-linux-root-forgotten-passwords-get-retrieve-root-password-t956.html) then retry your previous commands

sudo mount -t ntfs-3g/dev/sdb1 '/media/Lacie Files' -o force

NOTE: I've added 'single quotes' around the mount point which is new (compared to your previous post). You have a space in the name of your mount point (Lacie Files) which Ubuntu will cut off at Lacie without the quotes.

Enter the password (if it's needed) and your drive should mount.

If you get an error like:

mount: mount point /media/Lacie Files does not exist

You first need to create the folder or "mount point" for Ubuntu to mount the drive.

Type:

sudo mkdir 'media/Lacie Files'

NOTE: Once again - the quotes are important! :D

To create the mount point, then try the sudo mount command one more time - you should be good to go!

Vostrocity
April 30th, 2009, 02:56 AM
Weird, I still can't change the root password. Maybe I'm not following the instructions correctly. When I'm booting using the instructions in the link I first hit one of those old-looking 8 bit text only dialogs. There were a couple options like "repair", "clean", and one that was "root". The description for it was "drop down to root terminal" or something. I'm not sure if that's where I was supposed to go. But anyways I couldn't figure out how to select it so I just canceled and let it boot up. And then I typed the following into Terminal.

andrew@Vostrocity:~$ passwd
Changing password for andrew.
(current) UNIX password:
pass
passwd: Authentication token manipulation error
passwd: password unchanged

I'm thinking that maybe I'll just uninstall 8.10 and then do a clean install of Jaunty since I haven't upgraded yet (due to me needing to move things onto this external drive that I'm having problems with to free up space). Thanks for your help so far anyways.

thatcooldude
April 30th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Reboot one more time and go into the "root" terminal option that you saw.

Follow the previous steps and you should be able to get up and running.

Ubuntu has different privilege levels and "root" is the equivalent of god :D When you type in "sudo" you're performing commands at a "root user" permission level.

Vostrocity
April 30th, 2009, 04:59 AM
Ok I'll try again in a couple minutes. I've tried getting into that menu, but since it's all text-based I had a hard time figuring out how it works. I typed "root" and it did highlight that menu option but then typing "ok" or "<ok>" doesn't do anything.

Vostrocity
April 30th, 2009, 05:12 AM
Stupiiid.. I can't figure it out. I can select any menu option by typing the name but I can't get it to actually execute anything! :-x

thatcooldude
April 30th, 2009, 06:18 AM
http://www.ubuntux.org/how-to-change-the-root-password-in-ubuntu

That's all I can recommend. I'm not sure if anyone else can chime in on how to force a reset if you're not sure of your current password :/ I think I've reached my limits as far as my knowledge goes...sorry!

Vostrocity
May 1st, 2009, 03:01 AM
Ok well thanks. I'll just be using 8.10 for a week or so until I have time to wipe my HDD and install a triple boot between Vista/7 RC 1/Jaunty. :)

SuperSonic4
May 1st, 2009, 03:06 AM
You can mount your external drive via the root prompt shell that you go to in recovery mode using the command in post 6. From there you can use mv or cp to move/copy your files to the external. Something like

mv -v ~/.mozilla /media/Lacie\ Files

You can use tab completion to help

Vostrocity
May 1st, 2009, 03:28 AM
Actually the reason why I couldn't change my root passwd in the first place was because I couldn't access the root prompt.