PDA

View Full Version : For ipod nano 4gen, songbird vs amarok vs banshee

holyskeleton
April 19th, 2009, 04:07 AM
I have Vista Ultimate SP1 and just got a nano 4gen. I'm ready to ditch iTunes but donno which is the best alternative for the nano 4gen between songbird, amarok and banshee. anyone has any personal experiences?

what I need:

video sync (even better with a converter)

mass delete actual files from playlists (I put the songs i want to delete onto to-go list so when i sync i can delete them all in a click on both computer and ipod)

ipod firmware update

album artwork updates

again im on vista and the less app mods the better (add-ins, scripts, etc)

Ericyzfr1
April 19th, 2009, 06:19 AM
In my opinion, Banshee is the best option. I have an Ipod Classic 7th generation and it works great. Now, you can forget about firmware upgrades in Linux.

woodsonoversoul
April 19th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Amarok is absolutely the best music manager/player, not to mention software, I've ever used. Truly a joy to use. You'll be cheating yourself if you don't at least give it a try...

Ericyzfr1
April 19th, 2009, 07:01 AM
As I said it is just my opinion, there may be something else that suits your need, it is worth trying different options.

me.translucent
April 19th, 2009, 07:57 AM
hey songbird is the best player of them all but it's buggy and it does not supports video ..album art work thing works .. no idea about firmware updates .

northern lights
April 19th, 2009, 08:02 AM
PC World - Linux Audio Players Tested and Graded (http://www.pcworld.com/article/128636/linux_audio_players_tested_and_graded.html)

clive littlewood
April 19th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Hi

My 2 centimos worth is +1 for Amarok.

The new version in Jaunty is a fabulous piece of software. :D

Clive

holyskeleton
April 19th, 2009, 05:31 PM
songbird doesn't sync video and banshee doesn't support windows so I'm gonna try the unofficial version of amarok now.

btw anyone know any other good apps on windows that can manages ipod?

holyskeleton
April 19th, 2009, 05:44 PM
turns out you have to download each packages and install them individually which isn't within my interest... do i have to use itunes or what...

spillin_dylan
April 19th, 2009, 05:50 PM
It sounds to me like if you're using Windows, then you're probably best to stick with iTunes. It is the only software that (so far) FULLY supports the new iPods, especially for all of the features you're hoping for. I'm personally using Rhythmbox, and while it works pretty good, there are still a few features left that I would like implemented. (Maybe they are implemented and I haven't figured them out yet!)

I think you can get Rhythmbox for Windows, too, but like I said, it won't likely do everything you're asking of it.

Garrovick
April 19th, 2009, 06:25 PM
If some one is looking for an iTunes replacement in the Ubuntu world..

Forget it.

It doesn't exist.

Sure there are programs that "work" but you will need to adjust the way you use your iPod. Adjusting how you load and manage the iPod to fit Ubuntu is a mandantory requirement.

While Ubuntu does every thing else I need it to do, MP3 player support is very disappointing. That's why my netbook is going to stay Windows XP and will get Windows 7 when that OS is released.

holyskeleton
April 19th, 2009, 07:26 PM
so after trying songbird, amarok, floola and sharepod i've decided to use Floola. it does video...

hesjnet
April 19th, 2009, 07:28 PM
hey songbird is the best player of them all but it's buggy and it does not supports video ..album art work thing works .. no idea about firmware updates .

That is just not true. It supports video and audio. It is actually the program I have found to best support audio and video. It has synchronization and looks alot more like iTunes than any other player.

www.getsongbird.com