PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] run ubuntu little faster on old laptop

sansa dude
April 19th, 2009, 03:05 AM
im on an old laptop and i am currently running xubuntu but i really like the gnome desktop of Ubuntu but it runs a little bit slow when opening applications and processing compared to xubuntu so how can i make it work a little faster? should i start by running the ext4 filesystem?

spcwingo
April 19th, 2009, 03:16 AM
What's your system specs? If they're really low I would suggest an Ubuntu cli buildup. It's really not as hard as it sounds. One that I have done was on a P3 @ 800Mhz with 256MB ram. I ran LXDE as the GUI and it is impressively fast for the hardware that is running it. The key is a light DE with light apps (and as few gnome libs as you can get by with). I have since maxed out the processor and ram (P3 @ 1Ghz & 512MB ram). This thing is now a little scorcher. :D If you would like to do a cli buildup, let me know and I can give you a hand.

sansa dude
April 19th, 2009, 03:33 AM
i have a

dell inspiron 3800 with:

pentium 3 700mhz
40gb hard drive
256mb RAM
8mb ATI rage 128 mobility ( but i dont want about having high graphics on)

spcwingo
April 19th, 2009, 03:46 AM
If I had that machine I would definitely do a cli install. If you like Xubuntu and are used to the interface, I would suggest a cli install with pure XFCE as the DE as that will be much snappier on your specs. Xubuntu is polluted with too many gnome apps and libs, hence it's slowness.

sansa dude
April 19th, 2009, 03:53 AM
If I had that machine I would definitely do a cli install. If you like Xubuntu and are used to the interface, I would suggest a cli install with pure XFCE as the DE as that will be much snappier on your specs. Xubuntu is polluted with too many gnome apps and libs.

I like the gnome one better i just this its easier to access settings and other things and im used to it more because my desktop is running ubuntu 9.04. and what is a cli install? im going to try installing ubuntu 9.04 on a spare 10gb hard drive i have and upgrade it to ext4 and see how it runs also i will mostly use the full open office suite, rhythmbox, movie player, GIMP, and inkscape. i dont use much more than that on my laptop

spcwingo
April 19th, 2009, 04:01 AM
What is a cli install?

Command Line Interface

Basically, a server install, but instead of a server kernel, you would use the generic or x86_64 kernel.

mikewhatever
April 19th, 2009, 04:06 AM
There are indeed several things you can do to lighten up Gnome. Needless to say, it would still be much slower then a light weight GUI.

1. Uncheck the startup applications you don't need under System->Preferences->Sessions.

2. Disable unneeded services under System->Admin->Services.

If you do not know what each of the entries does, do not hesitate to ask.

inobe
April 19th, 2009, 04:10 AM
I like the gnome one better

as spcwingo said, xubuntu is much faster, you may not like the looks however it's well worth getting use to.