PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 8.10 // Login Problems

mattcantgetsome
April 19th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Hello all, this is my first visit to the Ubuntu Forums... hopefully you guys can give me some advice.

After installing the latest version of Ubuntu (8.10, I believe) everything ran well. I was checking everything out for about a day or so, getting used to the new OS, and trying to customize things here and there. So I noticed that it didn't install with KDE, but with GNOME instead. Being that I'm not a huge fan of GNOME, I went to the package manager and marked the main KDE package for installation. After that was all said and done, I restarted and Ubuntu booted up to its nice new login screen. The only problem was, I couldn't login whatsoever.

It's not the password/username combo, I know that's correct; if I type it wrong on purpose, it tells me so, but when I type it in correctly, the screen goes black, flickers a couple of times, and goes right back to the same login screen with no error messages whatsoever. Now I only have one account (I'm not even sure if it's ROOT, since Ubuntu never asked me to make a seperate account for ROOT.)

Anyway, after doing some research, I discovered it MIGHT be the program responsible for handling the windows in Ubuntu that is somehow messed up, I believe it's called xwindows. It's basically the equivalent of Microsoft's Windows Explorer, only for Linux. Well, this is all I can think of off the top of my head... here's a couple of details that you may need.

Dell desktop, i386 architecture
Ubuntu 8
GNOME/KDE installed
Dual-booted with Windows XP Home
Anymore details needed, just let me know

Hopefully someone knows just what the heck is going on, I really wish Linux would stop spazzing out on me :(. Unfortunately, this isn't the first trouble I've had with this OS, but I think once I get the hang of not destroying it every other week, it'll be worth it.

Thanks,

Matt

MEdit: I forgot to mention that I've tried logging in under GNOME, KDE, and XFCE, and none of them are booting up correctly.

LesterPalooza
April 19th, 2009, 05:44 AM
KDE and GNOME are Desktop environments for Ubuntu. And I believe you should have either one.

Did you forget to uninstall GNOME after you installed KDE? They might be conflicting with each other..