penn2014
April 19th, 2009, 12:05 AM
how to i become a user on ubuntu 9.4

or how do i log onto a ubuntu acount if i have not yet created one

Carl Hamlin
April 19th, 2009, 12:07 AM
how to i become a user on ubuntu 9.4

or how do i log onto a ubuntu acount if i have not yet created one

Hiya, penn2014. I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Can you clarify a little, please? What are you trying to do, specifically?

penn2014
April 19th, 2009, 12:34 AM
i recently installed ubuntu 8.10 but it was recently updated to 9.4 and i never set up an account how do i set one up so that i can log in

thanks alot

riza hylviu
April 19th, 2009, 12:40 AM
you don't need to set an account to switch/upgrade to ubuntu 9.04
here is described how to upgrade from ubuntu 8.10 or older
http://www.zepy.net/archives/ubuntu-904-jaunty-jackalope-alpha.html
but is better to make a clean install, you can download the iso from the ubuntu website

penn2014
April 19th, 2009, 12:45 AM
i was recently using the ubuntu 8.10... when i turned on ubuntu today it automatically upgraded to 9.4... once ubuntu loaded completly it asked for me to enter a user name and password... but i did not set up one yet... need advise... can anyone help me?

riza hylviu
April 19th, 2009, 12:47 AM
i think the old one will work

riza hylviu
April 19th, 2009, 12:48 AM
When you first install ubuntu it will ask you a user name and a password, you mean that you didnt enter one?

penn2014
April 19th, 2009, 12:49 AM

penn2014
April 19th, 2009, 12:50 AM
no it did not ask me to enter a user name

Chemical Imbalance
April 19th, 2009, 12:51 AM
When you install Ubuntu, you usually enter a login name and password to use. This should still work when you update to Jaunty. Once you update to Jaunty you cannot roll back the updates to get an Intrepid install again. If you don't want Jaunty anymore, you will have to backup and reinstall Intrepid.

riza hylviu
April 19th, 2009, 12:57 AM
i found this tutorial about downgrading but it is not safe enough and complicated to me....https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DowngradeHowto
it will be better if you reinstall ubuntu 8.10.
Is something not working in ubuntu 9.04?

Carl Hamlin
April 19th, 2009, 01:12 AM
i was recently using the ubuntu 8.10... when i turned on ubuntu today it automatically upgraded to 9.4... once ubuntu loaded completly it asked for me to enter a user name and password... but i did not set up one yet... need advise... can anyone help me?

Have you tried the same username/password combination that you were using in 8.10?

tirage
April 28th, 2009, 03:37 PM
PROBABLY YOU WOULD ENTER A WRONG username (as I did it myself) ...! However you can check it easily to see whether it was wrong or not!!!

Start your computer and from the boot menu, select recovery mode, which is usually the second boot option.

After you select recovery mode and wait for all the boot-up processes to finish, you'll be presented with a few options. In this case, you want the Drop to root shell prompt option so press the down arrow to get to that option, and then press Enter to select it. (The root account is the ultimate administrator and can do anything to the Ubuntu installation (including erase it), so please be careful with what commands you enter in the root terminal.)

Once you're at the root shell prompt, if you have forgotten your username as well, type
ls /home (ls = LS in small capitals)

Hit Enter

After that you should see at least a username or a list of the usernames.

* _ * _ * _ * _ * _ * _ * _ *

If you do not remember your password, perhaps it would be best to reset your password while you are there...

To reset the passwords of a username, type

passwd username (for instance "passwd john")
You'll then be prompted for a new password. When you type the password you will get no visual response acknowledging your typing. Your password is still being accepted. Just type the password and hit Enter when you're done. You'll be prompted to retype the password. Do so and hit Enter again.

Now the password should be reset, type:
EXIT

AFTER THAT YOU WOULD GET RETURNED TO THE recovery menu.

Select resume normal boot, and use Ubuntu as you normally would .... only this time you actually know the correct username and password

:popcorn:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword