PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installing programs

gemone
April 18th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Hello,
I am new to the world of ubuntu/linux. I tried to install several programs such as vlc media player, adobe flash player,winrar, etc (all for ubuntu/linux). When I dl these programs and try to install nothing happens. Does anyone no what the problem may be? Also I am trying to have that 3d look on my desktop so I can flip from one page to another. If so; can you provide me some guidance?

Thanks

Anthon
April 18th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Hi,

It is a bit unclear to me how you downloaded and installed the programs. Did you select the menu System -> Administration -> Synaptic package manager and installed things from there, or did you download (dl?) these from the internet and did not use anything like synaptic, aptitude or dpkg to install a package.
I recommend going the former route ( Synaptic) to install those programs. They should show up in your menu Applicatons in an appropriate submenu ( Sound and Video for VLC etc)

Chemical Imbalance
April 18th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Please give this a look-over to learn how to install on Ubuntu:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=644478

(Hint--Synaptic is better than Add/Remove, IMHO)

Also, check out the link in my signature for a good overall help-guide dealing with Ubuntu

gemone
April 18th, 2009, 11:06 PM
I dl directly from mozilla. I did try that option (Synaptic package manager) that you suggested. So will that resolve my problem?

Thanks

Chemical Imbalance
April 18th, 2009, 11:12 PM
I dl directly from mozilla. I did try that option (Synaptic package manager) that you suggested. So will that resolve my problem?

Thanks

Downloading programs from your web browser is a habit from Windows that usually doesn't apply to Linux. Linux users are encouraged to install only from the repos to maximize security. Please give the link I referred to earlier a look. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=644478

gemone
April 18th, 2009, 11:28 PM
I will check the link out. Thanks