PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.04 Stable Release

andy75180
April 18th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Hi,

I've just done a fresh install of Ubuntu 9.04 Release Candidate. It works fine and very pleased with the install.

When the stable final release is available on 23rd April, will I have to download that and re-install or just update the release candidate to change it to the stable one?

Andy

VastOne
April 18th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Upgrade will be easy and seamless. Unless you have something you need to change from your RC install, I would upgrade.

Chemical Imbalance
April 18th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Hi,

I've just done a fresh install of Ubuntu 9.04 Release Candidate. It works fine and very pleased with the install.

When the stable final release is available on 23rd April, will I have to download that and re-install or just update the release candidate to change it to the stable one?

Andy

Don't quote me on this or anything, but I believe just updating your install will suffice. Either through update-manager or "sudo aptitude update" then "sudo aptitude safe-upgrade" I believe should be fine. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, perhaps we may need to upgrade some other way.

MysticGold04
April 18th, 2009, 11:07 PM
I think just installing the updates will "upgrade" your installation from the RC to the released version.

nu2this
April 21st, 2009, 04:51 AM
Don't quote me on this or anything, but I believe just updating your install will suffice. Either through update-manager or "sudo aptitude update" then "sudo aptitude safe-upgrade" I believe should be fine. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, perhaps we may need to upgrade some other way.

I've usually waited for the final release, but htis time I wanted to avoid the rush. So from the RC is the above all that one needs to do? If not how?

inobe
April 21st, 2009, 04:54 AM
you can update from rc to final without upgrade "i believe"

nu2this
April 21st, 2009, 06:53 AM
OK,so how then is it done?
I have an Ubuntu 9.04 RC install on or about 4/23/09 I would do_________
to get my system set to the 9.04 Final Release?
In the past I've just dl'd the final then installed this time 'round I would like to avoid the rush & delay of overloaded servers. This time I've got the install I need to know how one goes about going from an RC to a Final without having to dl'd the Final.
After rereading the thread I see that I should do
sudo aptitude update
That'll bring the RC install up to Final status
Is this statement correct?

MrWES
April 21st, 2009, 11:51 AM
In the past I've just dl'd the final then installed this time 'round I would like to avoid the rush & delay of overloaded servers. This time I've got the install I need to know how one goes about going from an RC to a Final without having to dl'd the Final.
sudo aptitude update
Is this statement correct?\

Just run the update manager in System | Administration | Synaptic Update Manager

Chemical Imbalance
April 22nd, 2009, 02:32 AM
sudo aptitude update
Is this statement correct?

sudo aptitude update refreshes the update list and should be used before sudo aptitude safe-upgrade. safe-upgrade simply installs the updates that you may see available from the update command.

vigyani
April 22nd, 2009, 03:37 AM
just by using update manager (System --> Administration --> Update Manager) you would have release running.

Infact if you have updated then you are already running release ver.

For detials see:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1132243

cheers

Chemical Imbalance
April 22nd, 2009, 03:38 AM
I should clarify that I'm more of a terminal person so it isn't necessary to run those commands as long as you use the GUI update-manager. They accomplish the same thing.

arw020479
April 23rd, 2009, 03:51 PM
Doing the update (GUI) worked for me. Ubuntu 9.04 is working smoothly, this is awesome.

jkwuc89
April 23rd, 2009, 04:23 PM
I installed the RC a few days ago and today, I did sudo apt update;sudo apt upgrade to bring in the latest updates. Unless I am misunderstanding something, this is all that is needed to bring RC up to "gold".

JK3mp
April 23rd, 2009, 04:23 PM
Doing the update (GUI) worked for me. Ubuntu 9.04 is working smoothly, this is awesome.

Thats what i've heard. Gonna download it now. :D (EXCITEMENT RUNS THROUGH MY BODY) LoL

juancarlospaco
April 23rd, 2009, 04:26 PM

This is the VERY Stable Release :P

Metralha
April 23rd, 2009, 04:47 PM
Hi. I did a clean install, and after some tests ubuntu 9.04 keeps crashing...Can anyone do the following test?

1º Open several programs and windows.
2º Press repeatable windows+tab and make it spin for a while..

And then it just log's me off..

Message log:
Apr 23 16:37:44 metralha-laptop bonobo-activation-server (metralha-3624): could not associate with desktop session: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-jfTwjhnCvs: Connection refused
Apr 23 16:37:45 metralha-laptop kernel: [ 104.324654] [drm] Setting GART location based on new memory map
Apr 23 16:37:45 metralha-laptop kernel: [ 104.326971] [drm] Loading R500 Microcode
Apr 23 16:37:45 metralha-laptop kernel: [ 104.327035] [drm] Num pipes: 1
Apr 23 16:37:45 metralha-laptop kernel: [ 104.327053] [drm] writeback test succeeded in 2 usecs
Apr 23 16:37:57 metralha-laptop pulseaudio[3877]: pid.c: Stale PID file, overwriting.

Bah...did this happens to anyone?

Thanks!