PDA

View Full Version : Will you install jaunty?

dragos240
April 18th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Poll, title says all, simple yes or no question.

doas777
April 18th, 2009, 09:10 PM
yeah, on my laptop, and mabey the mediabox if the hardware support is good.
my dns/wins server/aux mediabox will stay on LTS.

frup
April 18th, 2009, 09:14 PM
yes for at least my laptop, all my computers are running 8.04 LTS atm and I skipped 8.10, the first release since 5.10 I've skipped.

jomiolto
April 18th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Yes, I will try it out, once the final comes out, but most likely I'm still going to stay with my trusty 8.04 :)

Dr Small
April 18th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Yes, on my sisters computer. I'm backing up all her data right now and am going to install 8.10 on it today (if all possible). Then, when I get the 9.04 cd from shipit, I'll be installing that for her. Feisty Fawn is finally getting to the point of deterioration. :(

dragos240
April 18th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Yes, on my sisters computer. I'm backing up all her data right now and am going to install 8.10 on it today (if all possible). Then, when I get the 9.04 cd from shipit, I'll be installing that for her. Feisty Fawn is finally getting to the point of deterioration. :(

Wow, fiesty is old! She still uses that?

Tibuda
April 18th, 2009, 09:23 PM
No, because I already installed it.

Dr Small
April 18th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Wow, fiesty is old! She still uses that?
Yeah. She has never wanted me to install anything more up to date, so she stuck with it. (It's not like she tries new programs anyhow, or wants the newest and greatest).

GNOME just about died on her a little while ago, so I told her we'll backup everything and install the latest of what I have, and install 9.04 when I get the CD in the mail.

But hey, my laptop still runs Feisty, lol :)

missbliss
April 18th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Installed it yesterday. Do I simply need to install the updates to be to achieve the stable release? Or will I have to re-install?

hyperdude111
April 18th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Yep, I already had done by alpha5, speed was a real problem for me and jaunty with both EXT4 and other optimisations is a lot faster.

I have used hardy, intrepid and now jaunty and this is the best release yet!

Tibuda
April 18th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Installed it yesterday. Do I simply need to install the updates to be to achieve the stable release? Or will I have to re-install?

Just update.

Chilli Bob
April 18th, 2009, 10:12 PM
I may pull out a spare hard drive to play with Jaunty, but I've put too much effort in getting my Hardy set up the way I like it, and see no real reason to move on at this point. Getting the printer working alone is enough to put me off upgrading unnecessarily.

jespdj
April 18th, 2009, 10:12 PM
I already have the RC on my desktop and netbook. I use my laptop (XPS M1530) for my job, so I will test it really well on my laptop before definitely installing it there; I need a stable and working computer for work. (Still running Hardy on my laptop). So far it works great on my desktop and netbook.

speedwell68
April 18th, 2009, 11:58 PM
I already have it on my netbook and aside from a few minor issues it rocks. In fact the issues were so minor I can't actually remember what they were.

Chemical Imbalance
April 19th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Been using jaunty alpha/beta for a few months now and it has been great. It is definitely the best Ubuntu release so far.

lisati
April 19th, 2009, 12:02 AM
I have the RC on my main desktop: the splash screen caused a "signal out of range" error on my monitor, but that also happened with 8.10: there are a couple of fairly simple workarounds for that.
I've also installed a copy via Wubi on one of my laptops.
So far it looks like it might not be so suitable for my older laptop (not enough RAM)

pwnst*r
April 19th, 2009, 12:06 AM
where's the "already did" option

0per4t0r
April 19th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Not yet. 8.10 is pretty good for now. I'll wait until they fix most of the bugs.

.Maleficus.
April 19th, 2009, 12:20 AM
I might give it a look but I'm extremely happy with my current setup. VirtualBox maybe?

yankeedog
April 19th, 2009, 12:24 AM
i'm already working with it now, it's pretty amazing! : )

dragos240
April 19th, 2009, 12:35 AM
where's the "already did" option

That would be "no" because your not installing it again.

Yvan300
April 19th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Yeah i would install it after a month or so, i mean i have no problems with 8.10 and i spent a while customizing it to my liking. Maybe I'll put it on my buds laptop that never got the wifi working. I hope jaunty can perform miracles :)

JK3mp
April 19th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Yeah but probably not for a little bit. I like to wait and have a stable system. I'd rather wait till they work out more of the bugs and little itches. Though i do plan on installing Jaunty on my test box and playing with it it won't be my mainstream for a while.

mamamia88
April 19th, 2009, 01:23 AM
already have

pwnst*r
April 19th, 2009, 02:49 AM
That would be "no" because your not installing it again.

by reading people's "no" votes, that says to me that they don't plan on using jaunty period. or at least for the near future.

so where's the "already did" option?

markusf21
April 19th, 2009, 02:53 AM
already did

cheme420420
April 19th, 2009, 02:55 AM
Yes, I haven't decided if I am going to dual boot. I have a unpartitioned 400 GB drive collecting dust. I would like to put a couple of different distros on that drive (multi-boot) and leave my Intrepid alone for a while. Either way I am going to install Jaunty...

gjoellee
April 19th, 2009, 10:36 AM
No. I am happy with Arch.

sadaruwan12
April 19th, 2009, 10:52 AM
I would like to stay till the next LTS release 'cos I do trust them more than the normal release and thy have the best enhancements a distro can offer.

=^,^=
April 19th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I already installed kubuntu jaunty on my laptop!

Its awesome!

It supports my builtin wifi now, so i dont have to use a usb adaptor anymore. ^,^

dezoete
April 19th, 2009, 10:59 AM
I did........... to my sorrow

There seem to be quie a few bugs left
so I'm re-installing 8-10

Bugs found: internal NTFS disks could not be permanently mounted
scanner (Brother BCD-150C) could not be connected

In short: Not for a while.

HavocXphere
April 19th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Yeah I'll install it. But I'll give it a week or so before I take the plunge. I'm in no hurry and Kubuntu 8.10 is working fine atm.

billgoldberg
April 19th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Poll, title says all, simple yes or no question.

Already switched all my computers.

Linux&Gsus
April 19th, 2009, 12:46 PM
I usually do upgrade on my desktop and laptop. Although, I haven't used the desktop for a while now because it's a bit old-ish and slow. I might try 9.04 on there since everyone seems to indicate that it's faster. So, I'm looking forward to trying it on there with ext4.

Also I messed up my laptop a bit, well, playing around too much, I guess... :D
So, since it's not too badly messed up I'll install probably a month after release. Maybe I will behave this time a bit better and don't play too much with it.

Then I have an really old test machine that, surprisingly, still handles 8.10 with KDE 4.1. But I'll probably turn that into a test server with 9.04. I know that the video card is broken, Windows doesn't even install on it at all.
That'll be my first Ubuntu based server then. So far I use Debian for that purpose.

Specifically I'm thrilled about all those reports about the increased speed. Since I have rather old hardware that should help a lot.

Cheers,
L&G

MediaBlitz
April 19th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Moved my laptop over yesterday and it's noticeably faster. I'll probably keep my desktop running Fedora 10 until the next Ubuntu LTS release though.

dmm1983
April 19th, 2009, 12:52 PM
i have im in one of the candiate due to intrepid being intrepid.